Six Weeks In -- Some Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Six weeks ago, when I came onto this forum to find out more about some Paulson Classics and Le Noirs I had acquired, and also find out about the process of getting custom chips ordered, I hadn’t realized how addicting and exciting of a hobby I would stumble upon.

It probably should be said that I have always been a collector. In my childhood and teen years, I collected stamps and coins. During my graduate program, I became a bibliophile, specifically focused on modern first editions. To this day, my near-fine true first edition, first printing, SIGNED, complete with dustjacket copy of Catcher in the Rye is still my favorite possession. I even had a Harry Potter and J.R.R. Tolkien phase. I also happen to have one of the world's largest collections of Silver Age comics books.

As with most categories of collecting, my taste and propensity to buy nonsense at nonsensical prices usually settled down after I learned more about the category, but I have come to accept that as my style – a flurry of activity, followed by some refinement, and eventually, settling into a structured, smart system of acquiring / buying /collecting things.

Of course, none of this should even be remotely interesting to anyone, except in that I seem to have inadvertently ruffled some feathers on this forum through a string of recent purchases I have made. The ire seems to have progeny in two specific camps:
  • First, with a veteran style of PCFer who long for the days when this was a niche hobby and people were more thoughtful and fair about what was sold and at what price, a group that seems to follow a very specific unwritten rule: don’t sell a chip for more than you paid for it.
  • The second group is a set of people I seem to have annoyed because I either bought up chips they wanted, or because I drove up the price of something to the point where it seems to have affected market value.
Of course, as a new chipper in his honeymoon phase of chipping, I was only doing what my capital allows me to do – but I understand if that seems ostentatious or over-the-top. So, I write this post for two reasons.

First, to apologize for ruffling feathers, inadvertently offending anyone, or in general, any annoyance my buying behavior may have created. If you have interacted with me, I hope you’ll at least agree that I have acted with integrity and politeness in all our dealings. I’ve tried to be a contributing member (as much as six weeks would allow) and be involved in more than just buying.

Second, I’m writing to tell you what I plan to do about it.
  • Since most of the ire seems to be about me buying chips at the pace I was, the first action is simple. As of today, I am putting myself on a 90-day time-out on buying ANY new sets / chips with the following exceptions:
    • Any transaction that has already been initiated and we are in the middle of (wouldn’t be fair to the seller.)
    • Any “fillers” I may need for my acquired sets – barrels, missing chips, or extras in a specific denomination.
    • Any public sales of interest like ones run by @TheChipRoom.
  • My second action is a commitment for the next 2 years:
    • If I plan to get rid of any sets acquired through PCF after having them for a while, I will only offer it back through PCF at the price I bought them at, or lower.
    • For grail sets, I will provide ROFR to the original seller at the same price it was sold to me.
By the way, a significant number of members have been incredibly welcoming. But this is a community, and I wanted you to know I respect its norms, and am loving my chipping journey so far. I hope the commitments above help alleviate any rankled nerves.

Thanks for listening, and happy chipping!

Last edited:
It's definitely a hobby that seems to hit hard, even years later some of us are inexplicably overprotective.

I'd be interested to know, in your opinion, now that you've acquired a bunch, how far down the list of sets your Paulson classics has fallen, from being your initial target. Tastes change quickly when you start out. Though Harry potter and Lord of the rings will always be awesome.

I hope you continue to enjoy yours chips, and won't be put off the community by anyone acting like an asshole. Particularly those English dudes living in Australia :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

A well written and community-focused post. I like it!

I'm dying to know, once you start using the sets you've acquired, if you feel you didn't get enough variety or completely missed something. Those Outposts are a dream, full of shaped inlay, leaded goodness. Maybe they're your favorite and you don't need another cash set... Or maybe you hate them. Or maybe you like them, but only in between another set's use.

Would love a follow-up post in the future after you've put them in play.

Realist and fresh air.
598CD132-9035-4326-B88A-658D95D12C3D.gif

We’ve got a buncha of collectors of all sorts here, myself included, I find it interesting to hear about the other collecting worlds. I hope to see and hear more about the things you’ve collected! Really cool man

Cheers mate :cool

Very well written Brother! In any community anything out of the normal flow will cause a ripple! I have sold you chips and we had a fantastic transaction. I think you covered the most important issue. Commitment and contribution to the community!

I think even as a relatively new member of this community we have seen many members join. Grab a set or two to cover their needs and gone! Never being active again, or only show back up for chip room sales type of thing. Sure it's a forum use it as you like! But to be a true part of the community it is about participation.

Many of the sets bought and sold here take years of hunting to build. In the words of @detroitdad we are all just renting chips anyways... passing them between members from time to time. It is unsettling in the gut when you are truly passionate about this Hobby as I have become, to think chips are escaping our group.

I also believe in the back of our minds that we all feel like the chips sold here (even though sometimes may seem ridiculously priced) vs. Pricing in the chip guide. That in the private market our outside these walls could be sold for major profits. If you look at it from that angle and we see large quantities of chips going to a new member, it can be scary! For example those Outpost chips that I recommend you buying. To many here that is a dream set, all time top of the line!

I believe your post to be true and honest, and came at the right time!

As I told you in our first interaction welcome to the forum brother and enjoy your chipping journey!!

Always your chippin buddy Ben

Kudos to you. Hopefully this will relax those that honestly care.

I wouldn't be overly concerned if I were you, pretty sure folks made at least a dollar on every set sold to you, and everything single person causing hullabaloo would've done the exact same thing.

Love that you're on good terms with everyone, as I think your coming home game pics might rival @Perthmike for most entertaining.

I hope when all your newly acquired chips arrive, there will be some epic pr0n.
Congrats on the exciting additions to your collection. I particularly envy the giraffes, but you have many amazing sets. Nice work!

I may have missed some that did that wouldn't have done the same thing.

I didn't see a person making a hullabaloo that would've sold any of those sets for their exact purchase price, and not make a single penny (specifically publicly).

For the record. I'm not including myself in my quote. I really only have one high end THC set that I got for a deal at around 1700. If Windy had offered to buy it at 4 times its value I would have taken the day off work to ship to him.

I don't know everyone who had problems with it. Actually, I didn't follow the bitching so I'm not sure who was complaining about it. I just find it foolish to say "everyone".

Where's the chip Pron Windy?

For the record. I'm not including myself in my quote. I really only have one high end THC set that I got for a deal at around 1700. If Windy had offered to buy it at 4 times its value I would have taken the day off work to ship to him.

I don't know everyone who had problems with it. Actually, I didn't follow the bitching so I'm not sure who was complaining about it. I just find it foolish to say "everyone".

Gotcha. Yeah I'm just going off of what I heard and saw (btw my comments are not geared towards Mike. Mike's awesome and I take no exception to his just wanting place to be good).

Honestly I wish you weren't the first chipper I interacted with. I wouldn't have this warped sense of what chipping should be, I would run auctions out the a**, and wouldn't be always helping folks.

BTW, windwalker has run some sick mail pr0n, but we're waiting to see chips in play and such (as well as his BTP relabels :wow: )

Six weeks ago, when I came onto this forum to find out more about some Paulson Classics and Le Noirs I had acquired, and also find out about the process of getting custom chips ordered, I hadn’t realized how addicting and exciting of a hobby I would stumble upon.

It probably should be said that I have always been a collector. In my childhood and teen years, I collected stamps and coins. During my graduate program, I became a bibliophile, specifically focused on modern first editions. To this day, my near-fine true first edition, first printing, SIGNED, complete with dustjacket copy of Catcher in the Rye is still my favorite possession. I even had a Harry Potter and J.R.R. Tolkien phase. I also happen to have one of the world's largest collections of Silver Age comics books.

As with most categories of collecting, my taste and propensity to buy nonsense at nonsensical prices usually settled down after I learned more about the category, but I have come to accept that as my style – a flurry of activity, followed by some refinement, and eventually, settling into a structured, smart system of acquiring / buying /collecting things.

Of course, none of this should even be remotely interesting to anyone, except in that I seem to have inadvertently ruffled some feathers on this forum through a string of recent purchases I have made. The ire seems to have progeny in two specific camps:
  • First, with a veteran style of PCFer who long for the days when this was a niche hobby and people were more thoughtful and fair about what was sold and at what price, a group that seems to follow a very specific unwritten rule: don’t sell a chip for more than you paid for it.
  • The second group is a set of people I seem to have annoyed because I either bought up chips they wanted, or because I drove up the price of something to the point where it seems to have affected market value.
Of course, as a new chipper in his honeymoon phase of chipping, I was only doing what my capital allows me to do – but I understand if that seems ostentatious or over-the-top. So, I write this post for two reasons.

First, to apologize for ruffling feathers, inadvertently offending anyone, or in general, any annoyance my buying behavior may have created. If you have interacted with me, I hope you’ll at least agree that I have acted with integrity and politeness in all our dealings. I’ve tried to be a contributing member (as much as six weeks would allow) and be involved in more than just buying.

Second, I’m writing to tell you what I plan to do about it.
  • Since most of the ire seems to be about me buying chips at the pace I was, the first action is simple. As of today, I am putting myself on a 90-day time-out on buying ANY new sets / chips with the following exceptions:
    • Any transaction that has already been initiated and we are in the middle of (wouldn’t be fair to the seller.)
    • Any “fillers” I may need for my acquired sets – barrels, missing chips, or extras in a specific denomination.
    • Any public sales of interest like ones run by @TheChipRoom.
  • My second action is a commitment for the next 2 years:
    • If I plan to get rid of any sets acquired through PCF after having them for a while, I will only offer it back through PCF at the price I bought them at, or lower.
    • For grail sets, I will provide ROFR to the original seller at the same price it was sold to me.
By the way, a significant number of members have been incredibly welcoming. But this is a community, and I wanted you to know I respect its norms, and am loving my chipping journey so far. I hope the commitments above help alleviate any rankled nerves.

Thanks for listening, and happy chipping!
In all honesty, I did buy a couple of racks of chips in the last couple of days, where the final deciding factor was “maybe I better grab these before that new guy, or somebody like him, makes these his next target.” No joke.
But that’s got nothing to do with you personally. It’s more of a “if I don’t buy these today, and they’re gone tomorrow, how much will I regret it” sort of thought process.

Show us your sets! Pictures are always great!
I hope when all your newly acquired chips arrive, there will be some epic pr0n.
Welcome @Windwalker Let’s see some prOn when you get a chance.

I’ve been posting regularly in the mail Pr0n thread, but here are some pictures of the sets that have arrived so far. More pics soon.

326E42F9-144A-4E1C-900B-0A50CAF68F0A.jpeg
056CC1BC-705F-486D-8E44-9255360083A4.jpeg
288D3BE2-C73D-4BDE-9A83-705E1A4077C7.jpeg
10BE3952-074A-43B9-B9C3-A006A37E8865.jpeg
A7CE8BDA-C8FF-40EA-BE9E-E5445963C87F.jpeg
3EA07BC6-7B35-42A1-8420-FE7868205B3A.jpeg
D13E5017-704E-4C55-B9EA-D490E1354CA8.jpeg
CCCF9B2C-BFBA-400A-8C5C-BBF88258C128.jpeg
D8960E63-A8ED-49BC-B660-F6DFD2AAF9FE.jpeg
80675AA7-6BBC-4081-9735-13ABF28C1D40.jpeg
87981A40-7D0F-4CB3-B157-AE7AE1312DA1.jpeg
741380F9-6A3C-4E71-B419-A64C7BD58776.jpeg
D380CC24-4E6B-4BBD-9ABD-60DD77A2EC7C.jpeg
42685B97-FB09-4D61-A161-06BC1386B588.jpeg
8BF9B666-98C5-4222-BA3F-C1551A534C1C.jpeg
A30299F2-4958-4258-B565-2E8BD3278590.jpeg
8CCD0131-E46C-45BA-B71B-8A40D03592DF.jpeg
09102D4C-E175-4C5B-A42B-7B47FF7174EC.jpeg

No apologies necessary IMO. Am I somewhat envious that I can't afford to mass purchase several "grail" sets in sequence. A little bit I suppose. Do I begrudge you for doing so? Not at all - more power to you! Have you done anything that most people here wouldn't have done with your resources and interest? No.

By setting the self-imposed restrictions that you listed you are:
a) showing commitment to the community
b) trying to mollify some of the more vocal members that bemoan the high cost of some sets, but would probably follow your exact path if they were in your situation.

Kudos for a). As far as b) goes, you will never be able to please everyone, so you might as well please yourself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom