Site Upgrade - July 1st (2 Viewers)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
I will be upgrading the site in early July. (please keep this in mind if you are planning to post any auctions.) This is a major platform upgrade and will take about 4 hours. It will be done during the over night hours to lessen the impact.

None of the current customizations are compatible with the newer platform so it took some time re-do them all and test them.

I've done multiple test upgrades on my dev site without any problems. Having said that, I will be doing a complete backup of the site (in addition to the auto backups) before I start the upgrade in case any problems arise.

Below is a screen shot of the latest test upgrade. Some navigation links and sidebar widgets still need to be added but overall it went fine.

2018-06-19_20-17-31.png

Excellent as always! I'd love to know just how much space this site takes up on disk. It has to be yyyuuuuge, what with all the photos and countless threads over the years.

You'd be surprised how relatively little space plain text (ie forum posts) takes up, even in that quantity.
The gallery though... yeah.
Not just the gallery - think of all the threads with memes and a million other graphics embedded. I recall that when Tommy switched the site to run HTTPS full-time he stated that PCF now hosts all the images, even when you link to an image on another site to avoid mixed content problems.

Not just the gallery - think of all the threads with memes and a million other graphics embedded. I recall that when Tommy switched the site to run HTTPS full-time he stated that PCF now hosts all the images, even when you link to an image on another site to avoid mixed content problems.

Embedded external graphics (like probably most meme images) take up virtually no space here. Only the link to it, which is plain text again. Tommy added a proxy for external images but I'd be surprised if that proxy permanently saved all the stuff it fetches from external sources. Temporarily cached, rather (if at all). To me as a software dev, a cache doesn't count as space taken up by content. You can delete it and can get regenerated.

The remainder of pics that are actually uploaded as attachments... I'll count those to the gallery.

You'd be surprised how relatively little space plain text (ie forum posts) takes up, even in that quantity.
The gallery though... yeah.

Even with 400,000 photos at 800kb each, that's only 320GB of storage. And considering most meme and smaller uploads are in the 150-250kb range, PCF's storage footprint should be fairly manageable and well under the 1TB-2TB starting point of the basic dedicated server packages out there.

That said - I'm also curious as to what the actual size of the entire site is.

Thanks everyone. Starting today and over the next week or so there will be some minor style changes here and there. This is prep for the upgrade. There is some deprecated code in this version which won't play nice with the new version. Doing it now will minimize the downtime. Thanks!

The upgrade is planned for this Sun 7/1. @ 12:05 am EDT.
I'm pre-loading many of the files on to the server in advance to keep the downtime to a minimum. Looking at about 2 to 4 hours to complete.
You'll get a mix of maintenance mode messages and page errors during that time.

As soon as its done, I'll re-open forum. Thanks!

FYI I think the highlighting of subforum titles on the main page (and coloring of the corresponding PCF icon) no longer correctly represents whether one has unread posts in that sub.

FYI I think the highlighting of subforum titles on the main page (and coloring of the corresponding PCF icon) no longer correctly represents whether one has unread posts in that sub.

Good eye. Fixed. (y) :thumbsup:

So what was the upgrade about? Just security and back-end improvements? Haven't seen any new features at first glance.

Edit: Found a bug in the new text editor. If you select a link and then try to apply an underline or custom font color, it will silently delete the link. Just screwed up my signature with that when I tried to get the muddy orange links back to black as they were before.

Last edited:
Any chance you could park the "recent" & "online" members in the column on the right like it was before? Reason I ask is, I like to thee-finger-swipe to the bottom of the page to get to the classified section quickly without having to scroll back up a bit to get there (if that makes sense). Yes, I'm that lazy. lol

BTW, it seems like pics are a bit more vivid now somehow. (y) :thumbsup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom