Single biggest strategy tip you've heard/learned? (1 Viewer)

Learning the concept of combinatrorics and blockers/ card removal, particularly for constructing an opponents range, was a big "ah-ha" moment for me.

Learning how to play mid-small PP and SC, namely how differently the two should be played, sealed up a lot of leaks I used to have.

Another nugget:

Don't be the one making tough decisions, be the one forcing tough decisions.

Bingo! I like that. That's my goal right now - to eliminate that one hand. Every game I seem to get into one hand, where I'm on the hot seat. I even say out loud, "How did I get here?" Looking back at each of those instances, it's usually one of two things: 1 - didn't bet enough with AK to fold the table (in my defense, we don't play for high stakes and STILL it's hard to get them to fold. Bet too little, they call, bet too much, they think you're bluffing. I even started showing my hands to prove I had the goods, so in the future they'd know it. Ugh!) 2 - playing marginal hand preflop. Not bluffing, because I can live with that, but playing cards I knew would get me into trouble.

Thinking about this, my best advice, get a good night's sleep. I've seen guys who could barely hold their head up, having had no alcohol. All the strategy in the world won't help if you are dragging ass. I look back at some of my bad calls and too many were tied to me losing focus. I bet into the hand for a reason, and midway through I can't recall why I was there! I bet thinking, if this happens, I'll do that. But I lose focus and can't recall what I was waiting to see happen.

It's a game of endurance. I play better half looped than I do if I'm tired. YMMV.

EDIT: on game day, I avoid conflicts with work personnel, customers, the wife, etc. Again, for me, that's a distraction at game time. Right or wrong, that's how it is with me. Need a clear mind to focus.

For tournament play, I'd say M Zones/Ratios (ala Harrington). Around the yellow zone, not limping too much to try to see a flop and having others come over the top. Around the orange zone, being the first to apply significant pressure to a pot pre-flop can really get you back into the hunt if you have a bit of bad luck late in the tournament. Post flop, you are likely pot committed regardless so I prefer to apply a larger pre-flop raise in the orange zone to a hand that is worth playing.
M Zone.png

For cash + tournament, knowing there are two ways to win a hand: 1) have the best hand at showdown, or 2) get everyone to fold. I see too many players who wait to get cards to win, and when they enter the pot I have no problem quietly folding and then resuming the grind again the next hand.

But the best strategy tip for me is: Avoid coin flips when you think you are the better player (I credit Daniel Negreanu).

Got a lot of great tips here, thanks for sharing. I agree with fish72s, it's a good advice.

Position and chip stack are key. Even if you have cobwebs on your chips but are a short stack, you are not much of a threat.

1) If everyone else is playing a certain style, play the opposite. Play loose if they are tight and tight if they are loose.

2) Don't get sucked into playing a loose passive style if everyone else is even though the pot odds are there.

A game I play in a lot has many many limpers and I wait for my spots and get paid off anyways.

3) Dont bluff a sucker.

Learn to let go of big pairs on a bad flop. Even quite experienced players will continue with AA to QQ on a board of smaller cards, thinking that they are trapping. If the guy is betting like he has out-flopped you, he probably has.

I always try to remember that the vast majority of people who play poker aren't pros and sharks, and that I can play with them.

Play ABC poker in most cases. Don't get fancy, unless a situation or particular player demands it. Unless you're a real pro...... Or Daniel Negreanu and can peer into people's souls.

Spend your time out of hands paying attention to the game.
This and extending it to show up early enough to tourneys to get info on those at your table before the start. Getting to know who is at your table and characterizing how they play starts immediately when you come in contact with them. You can find a lot of information having a friendly conversation.

The guy who brought the lumbar cushion probably plays a lot. Grinders with a tablet for example tend to play a certain way when they aren't completely focused at the table.

Live games:

Be aware of your own tells. Try and keep your actions consistent. Look at your hole cards for x seconds whether they're AhAs or 2c7d. People usually take a quick peek when they've got either a strong pair or junk - the decision making process of "what do I do with this KdTd hand?" don't apply; they know what to do. So if they take a single quick glance at their cards, then raise, they've probably got the goods. If they take six seconds, then raise, they've got nuffink.

Take the same amount of time to raise, call or fold and do it the same way each time. In friendly games, don't Hollywood or tank unless you're playing against a dick.

Don't look at your cards when they're dealt. Look at everyone else, and look at your cards when action commences but before it's your turn to act. If you wait until it's your turn, you'll have all eyes on you watching for tells.

Online games:
Aggression is king.

Finally - any perceived tell or action could be a trap. Always ask, what story is the other player(s) telling me? Does it ring true?

Don’t be mean to the fish, they’re good company.

Position is more important than your cards. Everyone has two cards. Not everyone has position.

I think truly few people understand position. I am referring to casual players not pros. My friends throw these words around and say " oh I was out of position" but I often get the feeling they don't know what they mean.

Just something basic like "dealer" always has position and SB is always out of position...I am pretty sure only 1 or 2 of the guys I play with understand this...never mind the implication it has on the game and betting.

I think truly few people understand position. I am referring to casual players not pros. My friends throw these words around and say " oh I was out of position" but I often get the feeling they don't know what they mean.

Just something basic like "dealer" always has position and SB is always out of position...I am pretty sure only 1 or 2 of the guys I play with understand this...never mind the implication it has on the game and betting.
Got any open seats?

This may seem like a simple and easy concept... but for me it was an epiphany about "fold equity". I see so many players ship it on the river thinking it is some bold move or a "three bet" that requires courage or something Norman Chad or Mike Sexton might applaud as ballsy.... but a lot of times there is no shame in basically surrendering and or check/calling. Live to fight another day! There is nothing worse than that sort of walk of shame.... CALL.... errrr.... nice call you got me..... good luck guys..... (shit...i dont want to be done yet.... i looked fwd to this game for awhile.... can i buy back innnnn!? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: )

Read the game. Don't be afraid of losing. Patience beats luck (cash game). The patience factor concept in turbo tournaments. On an 8 player table, if a flush is possible and they are all in, they (almost) always will have it. After every street, evaluate for straight draw, flush draw, paired board in that order. On your way to playing 250,000 hands, you will get pocket aces approx. 1125 times. For heads up play, if you know your opponent will not raise, then always call from small blind, since even 7-2 offsuit has better than 25 % winning odds. Don't drink alcohol when you play with real money (which is money you care about). Discount the advice you hear from commentators on poker tv shows.

Get the big stuff right, and don't stress out about the close spots. The closer the decision really is, the less it matters in the long run.

Balance your range, polorize your bet sizing, know a push fold chart (or have one) and if you feel like you aren't balancing enough, next time you value bet, bluff, raise, 3 bet, or hero call/fold, consider all other hands you could make the same play with we you always wanna have bluffs and value hands in numerous situations.

Balance your range, polorize your bet sizing, know a push fold chart (or have one) and if you feel like you aren't balancing enough, next time you value bet, bluff, raise, 3 bet, or hero call/fold, consider all other hands you could make the same play with we you always wanna have bluffs and value hands in numerous situations.

Are you a bot? That post sure looks like bot-speak

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom