Simpson Inspired Mock-up For Fun - GB interest? (1 Viewer)

HobokenNJ

Two Pair
Reaction score
When I saw @Bosco24's custom ceramics the following idea hit me like a flash.

A fun set of tourney chips with Simponized pictures of family members on it. Something that could be a nice personalized gifts. I also really liked @BGinGA's T500 base structure for this type of project. This is because each denomination is basically has the same number of chips made, so there's no favoring one family member over the other. Also, (i) its different than the structure we usually use and (ii) the description of the flexibility of the T500 base sounds really nice.

Here's what I came up with as a first draft -- I'm not sure if I'll actually have them made, but maybe others will enjoy my Inkscape addiction. A few personal details have been obscured. Also, if I went forward with this, I would not use the copyrighted characters. Instead I'd get someone to do cartoon character drawings of the people (see, e.g., this link).

Anyway, thank you everyone for ensuring I don't get enough sleep at night. ;)

proof-10-6-19 - v2.png

Fun design. Is licensing really a thing when ordering a small poker set for personal use?

Instead of the small faces, how about an item to go with each character? Skateboard for Bart, donut for homer, bari sax for Lisa...

No Lisa?! WTH?!!!

You can often get permission to use images for private use. You just need to know where to ask.

Instead of the small faces, how about an item to go with each character? Skateboard for Bart, donut for homer, bari sax for Lisa...

The small faces would probably go in a subsequent draft -- I don't think they'll print very well. Some Simpson themed small objects makes a lot of sense.

UPDATE: Here's a new draft. Thanks, @Beakertwang.

proof-10-6-19v2 - alt.png

Last edited:
I think we agree with each other.

Yes, I understood. It's just not the same without actual characters. but I really think you are good at design. I tried to teach myself inscape earlier this summer, but just decided it was easier to hand sketch what I wanted.

Fun design. Is licensing really a thing when ordering a small poker set for personal use?
It is simply because the company manufacturing the items puts themselves at risk doing it without permission. At least for US companies. Outside the US is open game.

I've been through quite a bit of this recently. You might be able to get things through but if you want to be legit and not risk vendors you need to get permission.

Crazy thought -- but I wonder if there would be any interest in doing this as a group buy?

I was thinking of ordering 3 sets of this for Christmas (one for my father; one for my in-laws; one for me). Maybe others would be interested in an inexpensive set with some amount of personalization.

If you are interested, please PM me. If I get enough feedback that it's worthwhile, I'll start a new thread with further details/thoughts. If you think this is a bad idea -- no need to PM me, I already know.

Here's what I was thinking (subject to change):
  1. I would charge a minimal artwork fee per chip. For that amount, I would change the city name, the card room name, add four reasonably sized names, plus add four elements (supplied by you) to the back of the chip. See first warning below.
  2. Minimum order per denomination = 100
  3. In order to keep my life easy, I would strongly prefer not messing around with new denominations and/or colors. You could probably sweet talk me to change colors. My worry is the more complications means more likelihood of a mistake. You would have to bribe me to make new denominations... I accept cash.
  4. I would not use any copyrighted images (the below is intended to be illustrative)--please don't ask. The yellow characters would be from photos supplied you, and I would find someone to Simpson-ize them.
  5. I would ship from New Jersey at your cost.
  6. We would use some supplier like @Bosco24 did (see this thread).
Warnings:
  • I am not a real designer. I only play one on the Internet.
  • We would be taking a gamble together on the supplier.
  • My wife may decide not to let me do this. And she'd probably be right to do so.
I can't quite remember what @Bosco24's said his cost was, but if my memory is about right, I'd hope a 400 chip set delivered to you in the U.S. would be no more than $175.

Anyway -- if interested, please PM me. If there's no interest, I will not be offended. :)

gb-mockup.png

This looks fun! However, I must say that my chip addiction has not yet advanced to the point where I feel the need to amass novelty sets. And besides, I look like a cross between Akira and Jimbo Jones, except totally bald, and ain't nobody got time to look at *that*.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom