Shuffling color transfer experiment - not oiled vs oiled (2 Viewers)

While the gloved hands will control for the addition of human oils, it is important to note that in real poker folks will be using their ungloved hands....so using the gloves isn't giving you real results.

One of the reasons I no longer collect white $1 chips is because of color transfer...and blue 1s are awesome.

Tons of neat factors on shuffling methods. Washed + dry hands prior to experiment is important. I'd be worried about testing this with rubber/latex gloves because of increased wear/friction between the glove + the chip - creating more dust than you would with dry+clean hands.

So it depends on the type of gloves if someone went that route. Nitrile vs latex vs vinyl. Tons of factors!

Didn't get any shuffling done today, but I'm not done. I'll shuffle some more and throw in a stack of washed chips, but I definitely won't be shuffling with gloves.
1. I don't have any gloves.
2. I wouldn't want to shuffle with gloves on anyway.
3. Nobody in the real world is going to be shuffling with gloves on, so it's kinda moot. If you want to believe I'm doing this with dirty hands, oh well.

Didn't get any shuffling done today, but I'm not done. I'll shuffle some more and throw in a stack of washed chips, but I definitely won't be shuffling with gloves.
1. I don't have any gloves.
2. I wouldn't want to shuffle with gloves on anyway.
3. Nobody in the real world is going to be shuffling with gloves on, so it's kinda moot. If you want to believe I'm doing this with dirty hands, oh well.
Well wash ur hands before you shuffle the washer chips

20200407_100302.jpg

Hello everyone so I just bought a full set of Lady Lucks and feel they are extremely difficult to shuffle (mint) and was looking to see if anybody shared same experience and was wondering if oiling is required. With that being said what did we learn with this experiment? Will chips get better with time? Do I need to oil them and what’s the best process? Please help chips feel stiff as F! lol

The sharp edges on mint chips need to be worn down a little for them to shuffle better, it happens with a bit of time.

These chips will also clean up okay by rubbing with a cloth with oil on it. In my experience white chips never go back to minty white, but you can get pretty close.

Alright, here’s a stack that was scrubbed with soap and water and dried, and shuffled 1,000 times, as suggested by @davin
I don’t notice a difference.
FF33C9F1-33B4-4B5C-8EFF-F891BF4A045C.jpeg

Here, the chips on the left were shuffled out of the box - the chips on the right were cleaned first, then shuffled. (I don’t have the oiled chips in this pic, because they now have 2000 shuffles on them)
4BFC070E-38C5-44E0-AB0B-F5149F911847.jpeg

I took two mint 6-stacks of Lady Luck Caruthersville $1s. One stack I left as is - the other stack I oiled.
I used 6-stacks just because they’re quicker for me to shuffle. I can shuffle a stack of 6 one hundred times, in about 3 minutes - it takes me almost twice as long to do that with a stack of ten.
So, I shuffled each stack 1,000 times. I expected the oiled chips would fare better, and I’d end up oiling all my chips. So far, no.
I’ll continue this - I’ll get another thousand shuffles on each stack and see how they look. And though they look similar, honestly, I think the oiled stack transferred color a bit more than the unoiled.
Here you go:
Unoiled (with a mint chip in the middle)
View attachment 434340

Oiled (with mint chip in the middle)
View attachment 434341

Good god, what are you using, linseed oil? I’ve never seen white chips go so yellow from one oiling.

Yeah, I got that... But if it is just surface particles from the spots mixed with mineral oil/hot dog grease, shouldn’t it be removable? Is the suggestion that these have been permanently stained?

Yeah, I got that... But if it is just surface particles from the spots mixed with mineral oil/hot dog grease, shouldn’t it be removable? Is the suggestion that these have been permanently stained?
I'm sure when washed with a magic eraser it comes off
He washed a stack and shuffled them (again) as suggested by Davin to see if removing any dust first would reduce the transfer
It appeared to show little difference
I think no matter what with white chips in particular, oiled or not, most color is going to transfer to the surface. Washing will remove it and it will occur again. I have seen in some very rare instances of much older or much more used chips that the transfer does not come off and actually leaves a tinge. Which in reality makes sense as the color is a dye to the clay material and the base is obviously white so over a very prolonged repeated amount of time I would venture very dark colors or vibrant (red/blues) could actually leave a stained hue.
I noticed even on the (more used) Indiana grand pri 5s that some of the pink spots suffered permanent red hues. However we didnt determine if that was 100% a color transfer issue given the pri 25s had color alteration to the purple spots, appearing to be unrelated to color transfer

Interesting. I haven’t had this issue with other new/vg RHCs.

I wonder if over time the issue could settle down, as the chips cure (for lack of a more scientific term) and loose surface particles lessen through wear.

My sense would be to not oil them right away, give them some time for the initial break-in to happen, then try various cleaning methods and only oil once things settle down. It kind of looks like the oil may be spreading fine brown particles and leading to more than the usual discoloration. Just speculating.

Interesting. I haven’t had this issue with other new/vg RHCs.

I wonder if over time the issue could settle down, as the chips cure (for lack of a more scientific term) and loose surface particles lessen through wear. My sense would be to not oil them right away, give them some time to wear down more, then try various cleaning methods and only oil once things settle down. It kind of looks like the oil may be spreading fine brown particles and leading to more than the usual discoloration. Just speculating.
Yeah I think this is the case as well, which is why I never oil Paulsons

Some could definitely use it, a bit too dry but I still don't

Real test would be using a sealer on the chips, like a granite sealer, then test.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom