ShuffleTech Jamming (1 Viewer)

Gucko

Pair
Reaction score
For anyone that has a Shuffle tech card shuffler, do you have problems with jamming and if so how do you remedy?

Welcome to Shuffletech. I sent mine in repair 2x and now it is sitting somewhere in Tony's shop for him to check out when he has some free time (does Tony get breaks?).

Essentially how good a deal it is depends on how long it works before it continually jams. I got a year and a half, then 6 months on the 1st repair. 2nd repair was like 3 months.

I haven't had jamming issues. As mentioned above I use an alcohol pad to clean the rollers every after game. I also used a condenses air can to get the dust out. Aside from that just make sure you are using poker sized plastic cards. Copags and Kems have worked best for me.

Keep the rollers clean as noted above and make sure you're using clean cards. I have a few older decks that jam much more frequently than most.

I was going to start a new topic for this, then I saw this one so maybe it'll help the OP out.....

My "jamming" issues may be self-inflicted. As many around this joint understand, I'm a redneck with a severe case of OCT (Obsessive Compulsive Tinkering). You know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?..... Yea, I never got that memo. :D

Mine developed an issue where the card jam would usually occur with the carriage at the bottom of it's travel & after clearing the jam the carriage would be physically stuck at the bottom requiring reaching in and manually pulling it upward to free it.

The "solution" to the issue turned out to be incredibly simple, albeit a little oddball.

If you're suffering frequent jams, (and your unit is out of warranty - I don't recommend with a newer unit, it may void your warranty if discovered) try this....

Flip it over and remove the three screws indicated by the arrows in this image..... the two in the center & the one under the card tray.

ST-Bottom2.jpg

Fire it up & see if that cures most (if not all) of your jamming issues.

Depending on why you have jamming issues it may or may not work, (YMMV) but it's worth a try & takes more time to find a #1 Phillips screwdriver than it takes to do it.

I kind of tripped over this by accident. After putting the unit back together with only the 4 corner screws in place & testing it (it worked flawlessly) I then replaced all the screws & it jammed immediately. Took out those 3 & everything was right with the world again.

In case you're curious..... those 3 screw's only job is to anchor the lower part of the shuffler mechanism to the base plate. The upper part of the mechanics are attached to the upper part of the case via the other 8 screws in the recessed screw locations. So you're effectively simply allowing the entire shuffler to be "suspended" from the upper case rather then rigidly being attached to the entire case. In closely examining the mechanics & design, I can't see any reason for any long-term ill effects from using it without those 3 screws in place.

I have a suspicion that if my tinkering didn't cause (or maybe at least aggravate) this issue, it may have well been the reason it was sold when I bought it. (previous owner thinking it jammed too much)

As for why this cured it... Well, plastics molding is not is not what you would consider a "close tolerance" process. If there were enough misalignment in the screw locations between the upper & lower case halves, the bottom screws could be skewing the bottom of the assembly just enough to be an issue. & simply removing those screws allows the internal mechanics to stay in perfect alignment.

Worked for me & might be worth a try if you have frequent jamming issues.

I was going to start a new topic for this, then I saw this one so maybe it'll help the OP out.....

My "jamming" issues may be self-inflicted. As many around this joint understand, I'm a redneck with a severe case of OCT (Obsessive Compulsive Tinkering). You know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?..... Yea, I never got that memo. :D

Mine developed an issue where the card jam would usually occur with the carriage at the bottom of it's travel & after clearing the jam the carriage would be physically stuck at the bottom requiring reaching in and manually pulling it upward to free it.

The "solution" to the issue turned out to be incredibly simple, albeit a little oddball.

If you're suffering frequent jams, (and your unit is out of warranty - I don't recommend with a newer unit, it may void your warranty if discovered) try this....

Flip it over and remove the three screws indicated by the arrows in this image..... the two in the center & the one under the card tray.

Depending on why you have jamming issues it may or may not work, (YMMV) but it's worth a try & takes more time to find a #1 Phillips screwdriver than it takes to do it.

I kind of tripped over this by accident. After putting the unit back together with only the 4 corner screws in place & testing it (it worked flawlessly) I then replaced all the screws & it jammed immediately. Took out those 3 & everything was right with the world again.

In case you're curious..... those 3 screw's only job is to anchor the lower part of the shuffler mechanism to the base plate. The upper part of the mechanics are attached to the upper part of the case via the other 8 screws in the recessed screw locations. So you're effectively simply allowing the entire shuffler to be "suspended" from the upper case rather then rigidly being attached to the entire case. In closely examining the mechanics & design, I can't see any reason for any long-term ill effects from using it without those 3 screws in place.

I have a suspicion that if my tinkering didn't cause (or maybe at least aggravate) this issue, it may have well been the reason it was sold when I bought it. (previous owner thinking it jammed too much)

As for why this cured it... Well, plastics molding is not is not what you would consider a "close tolerance" process. If there were enough misalignment in the screw locations between the upper & lower case halves, the bottom screws could be skewing the bottom of the assembly just enough to be an issue. & simply removing those screws allows the internal mechanics to stay in perfect alignment.

Not sure but I had a similar problem with the carrier getting stuck. My problem was that I put some foam in the top corners to try and dampen the sound. Turned out the foam was causing the upper guide arms to get stuck down and not let them move up and out of the way for the splitting of the deck at the start of the shuffle.

If that makes sense.

Reactions: Dix

I’m going to try your solution to see if it provides remedy for me. Thank you for weighing in and for your input!

Reactions: Dix
Not sure but I had a similar problem with the carrier getting stuck. My problem was that I put some foam in the top corners to try and dampen the sound. Turned out the foam was causing the upper guide arms to get stuck down and not let them move up and out of the way for the splitting of the deck at the start of the shuffle.

If that makes sense.
Makes sense, but not my issue... everything was free & clear.

I’m going to try your solution to see if it provides remedy for me. Thank you for weighing in and for your input!
The cards matter as well.... certain decks don't seem to play well with this shuffler (I've noticed a particular issue with the Kem brand)

For a "standard" (if you will) as a test deck I'd suggest either Modiano Texas Hold'Em or the ShuffleTech recommended Copag. Those are two "known quantity" decks that are known to work well.

Just received my “broken new” shuffletech (thanks that I found on marketplace (I new it was glitchy- but got it at a good price) nonetheless I want to fix it. There is a small piece of plastic perhaps broken from the inside. Thinking gorilla glue, but worried. Any idea how vital this piece is to the process. I will be doing more testing.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 194
Ok. Upon further experiments.. here is what I’ve found.

The shuffler seems to be able to lift a quarter of a deck of cards. Its able to lower the deck down to the bottom and then jams up kinda like a weight lifter struggling to lift the bar on a chest press. The struggle is real and I have been watching from the side tray attempting to see the issue. I can post videos here to show you all.

Also has anyone had ANY luck with getting a hold of customer service at shuffletech? I’ve send emails and attempted calls... the online pop up window says “we reply immediately”- nope! They do not.

The quandary I am in is as follows: since I got this off someone else I do no want to hassle them for a receipt... according to the “return form” On shuffle techs website, my serial number falls within the parameters of what they are willing to “service”. On the site they state they will not service units with serial numbers prior to B12000 or something.

Let’s say worst case scenario they will not accept my unit as a “under warranty unit”... would the cost of a repair be relatively affordable? I mean if they are going to say- sure we can fix it but it will cost $600, I’d rather tinker with it myself or buy a new one. Any guidance on this would help.

Also has anyone had ANY luck with getting a hold of customer service at shuffletech? I’ve send emails and attempted calls... the online pop up window says “we reply immediately”- nope! They do not.

The quandary I am in is as follows: since I got this off someone else I do no want to hassle them for a receipt... according to the “return form” On shuffle techs website, my serial number falls within the parameters of what they are willing to “service”. On the site they state they will not service units with serial numbers prior to B12000 or something.

Let’s say worst case scenario they will not accept my unit as a “under warranty unit”... would the cost of a repair be relatively affordable? I mean if they are going to say- sure we can fix it but it will cost $600, I’d rather tinker with it myself or buy a new one. Any guidance on this would help.
In case he wouldn't service it or it would be economical foolish to do so then I would be hard pressing a discount on a new shuffler.
I did read somewhere he offers a discount after the old one failing...

also...paging @BonScot & @Dix

Last edited:
In case he wouldn't service it or it would be economical foolish to do so then I would be hard pressing a discount on a new shuffler.
I did read somewhere he offers a discount after the old one failing...

also...paging @BonScot

I purchased this from someone that never used it and I knew when I saw the video of them using it- it made that horrible jamming sound... however I was willing to take my chances on the discounted price.

Funny thing is - it arrived and The FIRST attempt to use a full copag deck- success with no noice or jamming or any issues whatsoever. Since then all jams and horrible wretching throw up sounds from this unit.

I just used the live chat. They might be closed for the holiday but they replied to me straightaway whenever I messaged them.
Check out your serial number though. They can’t repair anything with a number below 12000. Mine is 10100 so they couldn’t help me.

I have only had minor jams in my shuffle tech, I have noticed that copag poker size works the best rather than bridge size, the poker size gives a little more surface for the shuffletech to “auto” clear when it’s jammed

Last edited:
I just used the live chat. They might be closed for the holiday but they replied to me straightaway whenever I messaged them.
Check out your serial number though. They can’t repair anything with a number below 12000. Mine is 10100 so they couldn’t help me.

This particular shufflettech that I have is in the B13000....

In the images below.. that’s from the side tray view. I circled where I see a few wires taped with what looks like clear tape... is this normal on your units ?

Attachments

• FBB6C4BC-36C8-45E4-8971-877B0053195B.jpeg
    FBB6C4BC-36C8-45E4-8971-877B0053195B.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 44A7E2A6-6562-4345-A4D7-6C6005064F9D.jpeg
    44A7E2A6-6562-4345-A4D7-6C6005064F9D.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 321
I had my ShuffleTech serviced about 4 months back. I got responses almost immediately and the machine was back to me in like 10ish days from what I remember. Probably less tbh. The contacts I used was

Chip@shuffletech.com

Chip Gray is his full name and he is in charge of the US servicing side. I'm not sure if they are away foe the holidays but you may want to wait until.after January 4th or so. You could try the above email and see if you get a quick reply. All I did was fill out a form and ship the shuffletech to them. I was having similar issues where it would go all the way to the bottom and get stuck, and also the motors were running slower than the norm. Either way I got it back in working order.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom