Shuffle tech project (1 Viewer)

Outkicked

Straight
Reaction score
BC3B1C73-9105-484B-B52A-2528F42713E5.jpeg

winter project in the works! This should solve my friends problem of trying to shuffle a deck of cards and taking 3 minutes to deal one hand

Honestly there are several ikea solutions that work really well. I'll try to take some pics for you. I have two of these shufflers in two different cabinets that we just place beside the dealer. The shuffle tech exclusive one is kinda expensive.

Here is a link to my first try using some ikea left overs, but I have a new build now that is much better.

First Build

Honestly there are several ikea solutions that work really well. I'll try to take some pics for you. I have two of these shufflers in two different cabinets that we just place beside the dealer. The shuffle tech exclusive one is kinda expensive.
Yeah I was looking for small cabinets to cut out myself would save around $300, old west poker supply has the shufflers for $520 new which is the cheapest I have seen online, pics would be greatly appreciated thank you!!

Yeah I was looking for small cabinets to cut out myself would save around $300, old west poker supply has the shufflers for $520 new which is the cheapest I have seen online, pics would be greatly appreciated thank you!!

This is the best cabinet that is out there premade on the cheap.

Cabinet Link

There are a couple of small modifications (nothing that is major). I proabably took an hour to put this thing together. You will have to essentially eliminate the top two drawers and I probably need about 30 mins to make some faux fronts to cover the drawers I eliminated, I just have not done this step yet, cart is still functional though. Also the top is not a full piece of wood so if you are going to cut into that piece then keep that in mind, I would do a more shallow cut then the template shows and then hand cut or file down, since the top is flimsy its easy to overshoot and make the hole too big. That is what I did and it has held up. But If I had more time I would have gone to the scraps at ikea and picked up maybe some wood counter top or even a more solid real wood piece. You would also then need a way to fasten the top as if you follow the instructions it uses those little ikea round pieces to secure the top to the side rather than brackets.

I will try to get some pics next week when I pull it out for our game.

Wow cabinet looks great, thinking that I could take the top two drawers out and cut the bottoms out and the back and leave the front and sides as a faux cabinet to still access the shuffler if need be, would just be there for looks, excited to get the project rolling thank you for your help!

Wow cabinet looks great, thinking that I could take the top two drawers out and cut the bottoms out and the back and leave the front and sides as a faux cabinet to still access the shuffler if need be, would just be there for looks, excited to get the project rolling thank you for your help!

No problem, When I take pictures I'll see if I can explain it better, with the modifications I would recommend, obviously if you have any wood working skills this project would a piece of cake but I went with this ikea build because I don't have the time or space to do a nice real wood cabinet and finish, etc.

So here are some pics of the setup we are using now. The larger cart that I had is now kind of a backup with my 2nd shuffle tech.

So this picture is of it partially open. It's hard to see but you can stack one rack on top of another in the bottom section with no issue.

IMG_4646.JPG

Here is a picture with the two drawers closed and the top drawer can fit stacked racks as well with just enough clearance from the bar that holds the shuffler in place.

IMG_4650.JPG

View from the Top.

IMG_4651.JPG

When we play 9 handed this sits beside the dealer for ease of use. We can do rebuys and such as well.

IMG_4653.JPG

So if you go this route here are kind of a few tips and things I ran into. First when you use the template to put the flush mounting kit in. I would actually trace a perimeter that is maybe 3-5mm smaller all around than the one on the template. Here is why. The top of that Ikea cabinet is not wood. In the included picture the thing is in the middle of the picture, it is some sort of weird cardboard supports sandwiched between 2 pieces of "wood". I don't know why I didn't anticipate this when I saw it because I wondered why it was so light but thick. Anyhow when I drilled a pilot hole for my jigsaw the thing kind of exploded a bit, probably because I was putting pressure on the hole saw and then it hit that cardboard layer. When you cut this thing you want to have some room for error because I was not able to get nice clean lines, also since the shuffler itself has a small top that is tapered up from the bottom, you need to kind of hand saw a slightly smaller opening on the underside to make it fit snug. And this is due to the thickness of the weird wood top. If I could do it again I would just cut with the jigsaw straight down vertically (not at the 45 degree angle). And then just remeasure and hand cut the underside angle to fit. I hope that makes sense. The problem is the top does not cut well with the jigsaw (at least in my experience) due to the flimsiness of the top.

IMG_4654.JPG

Okay so you ask what would you do different. Well in this picture I have three pieces of wood from ikea scraps that kinda match this finish for the cabinet already (yah no refinishing needed). So from the top down:

The top piece is a shelf or counter top piece they had in scrap, and I cut into this it appears to be solid wood birch or pine maybe (I am not a wood worker and don't know for sure this is just my guess). It is solid and heavy. I also think that it is thin enough that you can just follow the template and make the necessary 45 degree cut with a jigsaw. you will have to find a way to fasten this to the cabinet sides, and possibly cut a groove out for the back piece to fit into.

Middle piece is for comparison - the included top with the above mentioned cabinet. I am using it now and since it is the default top it fits perfect with ikea's fastening system.

Bottom piece, this is some sort of mdf from Ikea and it should work well also, but the same problems with possible modification needed as the top piece and I am not sure it will hold up as well.

My plan down the line is to redo the top with that top piece of real wood.

IMG_4656.JPG

Okay so the next thing is the Drawers. So the shuffler takes up so much space the top two included drawers are unusable.

If you look in this picture closely you can see I installed the slides, mostly so I would have something that the acoustic foam would rest agains. With the way that the drawers are built I did not see a clean way to just build the drawers and then cut the backs so that they would still slide in for a finished look. If you look at the second picture you can see how the back is built and honestly if we cut it up the drawer is just going to fall apart.

IMG_4648.JPG

Cutting the back of the drawer to fit the shuffler would not be stable in my opinion. Basically you would be cutting and then making a lot of work for nothing.

IMG_4649.JPG

So what I plan on doing is this. I plan on cutting an approx 3-4 inch piece or maybe two 2 inch pieces that will work as a vertical support beam(s) and then screw it into the backside of the existing top drawer face. Then attaching the left over drawer faces to those beam(s) and make essentially a false front that will hold my acoustic foam in but also cover up that empty space from the missing drawers, hopefully that verbal explanation makes sense. The pic below is kind of what I laid out and I think that using a support beam on either side should give it enough structure and still keep that drawer usable - it will just have an awkward drawer face.

Hope that helps, let me know how your build goes or if you have any questions.

IMG_4657.JPG

Interesting project! However, I must say that I'm generally not a fan of Ikea furniture, as design quality can really vary between their lines and I find that small pieces really don't have much durability/longevity.

Interesting project! However, I must say that I'm generally not a fan of Ikea furniture, as design quality can really vary between their lines and I find that small pieces really don't have much durability/longevity.

Some of the lines are better than others but I think for this project if you have limited wood working skills I think that IKEA is a good in-between to easily hack. Plus you are looking at less than 80 dollars vs another cabinet for 300+

So here are some pics of the setup we are using now. The larger cart that I had is now kind of a backup with my 2nd shuffle tech.

So this picture is of it partially open. It's hard to see but you can stack one rack on top of another in the bottom section with no issue.

View attachment 145190

Here is a picture with the two drawers closed and the top drawer can fit stacked racks as well with just enough clearance from the bar that holds the shuffler in place.

View attachment 145191

View from the Top.

View attachment 145192

When we play 9 handed this sits beside the dealer for ease of use. We can do rebuys and such as well.

View attachment 145193
Your post is one of the reasons why I joined the site! I am dying to start this project but I have plenty of questions!

I purchased a shuffetech in an auction a while ago and I have been in the IKEA market looking for the proper cabinet. Would love some guidance here!

thanks!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom