Showing your cards (1 Viewer)

Do you ever show your cards if you don't have to?

• Total voters
I only host low stakes friendly games. My group has set a precendent of "selling" their cards. If someone wants to see cards (villain or otherwise) the player negotiates a price. Sometimes it's $0.50, sometimes it is $5, all depending on the person who wants to see the cards and the size of the bet or pot.

Sometimes two players both agree to show for free.

Sometimes multiple players will chip in to meet the demand of the player (ex: 4 players may each give a quarter to meet the $1 requirement).

This makes it fun and always possible but also not done for free. You can fold and pay a lower price than calling to still see the cards.

Cards shown are always shown to the whole table, regardless of who actually pays money to the player.

This system has resulted in zero problems over the course of the last 5+ years we've been playing together, so I'm happy to continue it.
I really like this idea!

I’ll show them on occasion. And I agree with you; as long as you’re exploiting whatever your current table image is, it’s probably +ev.

Those annoying people that are constantly showing one - they need a smack. Yes, yes, you had the K. We all knew.
...but I... I mean that person was too embarrassed to show you called a 3.5x raise with K6 offsuit.

I only host low stakes friendly games. My group has set a precendent of "selling" their cards. If someone wants to see cards (villain or otherwise) the player negotiates a price. Sometimes it's $0.50, sometimes it is $5, all depending on the person who wants to see the cards and the size of the bet or pot.

Sometimes two players both agree to show for free.

Sometimes multiple players will chip in to meet the demand of the player (ex: 4 players may each give a quarter to meet the $1 requirement).

This makes it fun and always possible but also not done for free. You can fold and pay a lower price than calling to still see the cards.

Cards shown are always shown to the whole table, regardless of who actually pays money to the player.

This system has resulted in zero problems over the course of the last 5+ years we've been playing together, so I'm happy to continue it.
Sounds good in theory... and maybe it works because its low stakes. But if I'm stuck 3 buyins (which I am perfectly capable of doing), I don't want to watch a 5 minute haggle every orbit or two... I wanna get to the next hand so I can get unstuck.

For those who responded they like to show their cards to gain an advantage as far as table image is concerned, do you change your opinion of a player when they show you their cards?
I take in the information and then try to determine WHY he is showing his hand.
I think most people who show, don't have a really good reason

Ahhh, leveling time!

If a guy pulls off a sick bluff, you fold, he shows...is he doing it to get you to call the next hand? Or does he know that YOU know he's doing it to get you to call the next hand, so you won't call, so he can pull off the bluff again? o.0

I think a lot of people who show are looking for respect. As in, "Oh, he folded, but look, he had good cards. See, he IS a good player"
Which, yes, is not a really good reason.

I think a lot of people who show are looking for respect. As in, "Oh, he folded, but look, he had good cards. See, he IS a good player"
Which, yes, is not a really good reason.

Isn't that generally the worst time to show? You are validating his fold by proving he made the correct play and boosting his confidence. At least don't show to have a chance at keeping him guessing.

Which is what you said...but then why do people do it? :p

Isn't that generally the worst time to show? You are validating his fold by proving he made the correct play and boosting his confidence. At least don't show to have a chance at keeping him guessing.

Which is what you said...but then why do people do it? :p
I think it can be a huge mistake to let people know you're capable and/or willing to fold a good hand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom