Show me your shaped inlays (1 Viewer)

8FD35D7B-7D81-463F-83F3-06FCC68798A7.jpeg
ECA3FC5A-03C3-4D62-A697-D9475E57380D.jpeg

Awesome set. I guess what I am curious about (and I apologize for thread jacking) is if one wanted to cut inlays into Paulson's that don't have shaped inlays, be it hot stamps or not, are there any requirements? Anything about certain types of chips that prevent them from being custom cut?

Awesome set. I guess what I am curious about (and I apologize for thread jacking) is if one wanted to cut inlays into Paulson's that don't have shaped inlays, be it hot stamps or not, are there any requirements? Anything about certain types of chips that prevent them from being custom cut?

I don’t think that’s possible. I believe Gear posted about this, and said you can’t do replacement shaped inlays.

I don’t think that’s possible. I believe Gear posted about this, and said you can’t do replacement shaped inlays.
You can get semi-custom shaped inlays on Paulson chips two different ways :
  • remove an existing shaped inlay and replace it with a custom laminated label (cut to the same shape)
  • mill a hot -stamped chip into the desired shape, and insert a custom laminated label (cut to the same shape).
You cannot take a chip with existing inlay and convert it to a different shape label -- although you can replace (or cover) a round inlay with a label that is printed with a faux shaped design.

You can get semi-custom shaped inlays on Paulson chips two different ways :
  • remove an existing shaped inlay and replace it with a custom laminated label (cut to the same shape)
  • mill a hot -stamped chip into the desired shape, and insert a custom laminated label (cut to the same shape).
You cannot take a chip with existing inlay and convert it to a different shape label -- although you can replace (or cover) a round inlay with a label that is printed with a faux shaped design.

Thanks for the info. Is the reason why you can’t cut custom inlays into a chip with an existing inlay because of the recess on both sides of the chip not providing enough material? To my eye I didn’t think that would be an issue, but I am new to the custom inlay cutting game and have no experience in these matters.

Thanks for the info. Is the reason why you can’t cut custom inlays into a chip with an existing inlay because of the recess on both sides of the chip not providing enough material? To my eye I didn’t think that would be an issue, but I am new to the custom inlay cutting game and have no experience in these matters.
Really? Your AS cash set just arrived yesterday! Slow down...

Is the reason why you can’t cut custom inlays into a chip with an existing inlay because of the recess on both sides of the chip not providing enough material?
The material is already displaced by the circular inlay, so cutting a (smaller) shape into the recessed area is not posssible, since the material surrounding the new shape is missing. Complicating the issue is the fact that few inlays are perfectly centered.

Really? Your AS cash set just arrived yesterday! Slow down...

I am not anywhere close to a project like this, just gathering info hah ;)

The material is already displaced by the circular inlay, so cutting a (smaller) shape into the recessed area is not posssible, since the material surrounding the new shape is missing. Complicating the issue is the fact that few inlays are perfectly centered.

Appreciate the info, thank you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom