Show 'em, rebuy, etc 'specialty' chips (1 Viewer)

Toby

Full House
Reaction score
ABC gifts and awards calls them "specialty" chips but do these have a formal name?

ABC gifts and awards specialty chips

Beyond those listed:
  • Show 'em
  • Rebuy
  • WTF
  • HTFU
  • Seating
  • Rabbit hunt
  • Etc
...are there any others you've seen or had made?

@jbutler had pics of a couple of great chips ('Enlighten me' and 'Call this') in a separate thread, which got me wondering about these offshoot chips.

Just to give credit where it's due, Mark/toad94 on CT made the "Enlighten Me" chips below as Show 'Em chips. I believe he had another spot and/or color combo in addition to these as well, but these were the only ones rattling around in my "extras" case.

wZItOx1.jpg

And Ed/emptypocs on CT had the below "Call This!" chips made when the MD-50 mold was first made available and he sent me a stack just being the generous guy he is.

gNGJRSt.jpg

Just to give credit where it's due, Mark/toad94 on CT made the "Enlighten Me" chips below as Show 'Em chips. I believe he had another spot and/or color combo in addition to these as well, but these were the only ones rattling around in my "extras" case.

My "Enlighten Me" chips are a dark brown with similar gold or yellow spots, iirc.

wZItOx1.jpg

And Ed/emptypocs on CT had the below "Call This!" chips made when the MD-50 mold was first made available and he sent me a stack just being the generous guy he is.

gNGJRSt.jpg

Cool chips!

Has anyone else had any one-offs made up?

I had some custom bounty chips made several years ago (along with some advertising chips to get me to a minimum order quantity):

I have used 'time' chips in the past for tournaments, back in our early days when play could get excruciatingly slow at times. Warning players and threatening to kill hands both seemed to be adverse to our 'friendly' atmosphere, so we came up with a solution that penalized players for taking too much time without affecting play (not killing hands).

All players were issued X number of time chips, each representing 30 seconds of time. The number of chips issued per player was dependent upon the expected length of the event -- four time chips (totaling 2 minutes) were issued for a four hour tournament, for example. Here's how they worked:

1. One 30-second time bank per hour of estimated event length is distributed to each player, represented by ‘time’ chips (2 chips per 2-hour event, 4 chips per-hour event, etc.).

2. The time chips are held by players and collected by dealer upon use. 30-second time banks may be used individually or consecutively, but not incrementally (once partially used, a 30-second time chip bank is void and must be surrendered).

3. A 30-second auto-clock is imposed on a player each time he or she faces an action decision. If the player has not completed his or her action by the end of the 30-second time period, the dealer tracks the player’s further use of time. Upon the conclusion of the action, the dealer collects any time bank chips (if used), and notifies the tournament director of incurred time penalties prior to the next deal.

4. If a player exhausts his/her time bank allotment, subsequent rail time-penalties will be applied at a ratio of 1 minute for up to every 15 seconds of delay, as clocked by the dealer. Rail time-penalties are served at the beginning of the next hand. A player’s hand is never killed/mucked for using too much time.

The system worked very well. At the time, we had two players who would Hollywood to no end over all sorts of trivial decisions. Once time chips were added to the mix, everybody's play progressed much quicker, including the two slowest players. Most tournaments saw maybe one or two time chips TOTAL being surrendered (so no penalties), and over a three year period, a rail time penalty was issued only once. But the real gain was the fact that the time chips in play caused players to be cognizant of the amount of time taken. We eventually stopped using them, because they were no longer warranted.

Sorry, no pics of the chips we used (unmarked dropa discs, and later time-labeled china clays). But I really like Gene's on-the-clock ceramic chip design:
ontheclock.gif

sorry to bump an oldie
but i am catching up on chips:
WTF and Call This! were me
STFU: awesome CT creation
and @toad : i would love some greens ((never saw those)! Enlighten me ')

Attachments

• family.png
    family.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • wtf!.png
    wtf!.png
    673 KB · Views: 64
  • hotcallme.png
    hotcallme.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 57
  • stfu!.png
    stfu!.png
    924.3 KB · Views: 69
  • toadv1.png
    toadv1.png
    998.8 KB · Views: 61
  • toadgreen.png
    toadgreen.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
>>Had some bounty chips made for shits and giggles. I only host 1 maybe 2 tournaments a year, but fuck it.
lmfao!
even if i copyrighted that I'd never challenge your righteous chip
WTG!
awesome!

edit: oh wait! : Fuck You!...and the horse you rode in on would have been better :tup:

Last edited:
>>Had some bounty chips made for shits and giggles. I only host 1 maybe 2 tournaments a year, but fuck it.
lmfao!
even if i copyrighted that I'd never challenge your righteous chip
WTG!
awesome!

edit: oh wait! : Fuck You!...and the horse you rode in on would have been better :tup:
Had one of my regulars specifically request a "fuck you" chip he could throw at our regular maniac when he's running hot. The running story is that he has a giant golden horseshoe stuck up his ass.

$20 tournament bounty chip.

Roscoe is our bulldog and he loves sunning himself on the raised part of our patio which we’ve to calling “Roscoe’s Oasis”. Made sense to make the bounty chip after a poker room honoring his slumberness.

Attachments

• 49B99E2F-CC05-49F0-BA74-285890B90891.jpeg
    49B99E2F-CC05-49F0-BA74-285890B90891.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 54
  • EB771102-C569-4622-A455-F26EFF0DB4F1.jpeg
    EB771102-C569-4622-A455-F26EFF0DB4F1.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 56

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom