Should Wanted Ad’s have prices? (1 Viewer)

But why mandate a price by "rule" if you are not going to enforce it? Nothing is stopping people from putting a price in their WTB ads right now. But when you force something by a "rule" and there is no consequence for breaking the "rule" then it is just a waste.

That is something called a suggestion.
No one is forcing you to sell the chips you advertise in the for sale section for the price you state

Whenever people buy something they ask first how much it costs. They 're not supposed to know.

Newer people here or people who don't spend their time in the classfieds most probably don't even know what the usual / average price is for what they would like, so forcing them to offer a price would either shut them out or blow up prices, out of ignorance / insecurity.

If Demand expresses itself, let Supply come in :D
Supply, of course is going to be random and inadequate overall.

No one is forcing you to sell the chips you advertise in the for sale section for the price you state
Forum ethics do force you to honour your word and sell to the first responder who says yes to your price, unless you clearly state that this is not a "dibs" sale.

I get what your saying here, and for specific want ads for well known and established items maybe it can work but sometimes you are looking to cast a wide net for a project and may not even be aware of what is available to you. Like when I was looking for solid THC chips for a project the range of price I paid for the different colors was 75c to $4, a range like that would not make much sense in an ad. "Hi I am willing to pay 10c to $20 per chip depending on condition and rarity, surprise me." I think the WTS and WTB are just too different and its too restrictive to add a price requirement to WTB, also there is a clear and obvious reason to have a price on WTS and I'm not sure what the reason would be to add this requirement to a WTB add. What behavior are you trying to encourage or deter? I'm not sure. Just my opinion.

- Price, by definition, is established by the seller.

No idea where you got that definition from, Larry. That is not true at all. Prices are defined by the intersection of buyer and seller intentions, if there is one.

- If I'm a prospective buyer with a WTB ad, and get multiple responses, I sure don't want to be committed to accepting to buy in order of PCF responses.

Why not, given it's the same price and condition?

- If a hard offer is to be required in WTB ads, then surely it's going to be required for the WTB ads in everyone's signatures as well, right? :cool

That is not an ad. I don't think it is forbidden to have "Have Aztars available" on the signature, is it? And if it is forbidden, maybe it is because it follows the current policy?

- I just don't see anything to be gained by requiring WTB prices.

What to be gained is more clarity to the potential seller and avoiding fishing albeit only partially. It is not perfect and it does not work as well as in WTS ads, as I stated earlier. But it helps imo.

Having said all that, I'm not dying on that hill, although it seems so given my willingness to debate, LOL!! It is not that big of a deal to me.

Yes, it’s called integrity. Look it up.
Forum ethics do force you to honour your word and sell to the first responder who says yes to your price, unless you clearly state that this is not a "dibs" sale.
This is nothing to do with integrity. I was merely stating that you are not forced to abide by your advertised price. You can sell the chips for LESS. Also you can pick and choose who you sell to. Many people have not sold to me for a variety of reasons. Mostly because of international shipping, but also because I am relatively new to the community.

Certainly not looking to kill Paulo, hill or not. :D

But I see nothing wrong with 'fishing' using the WTB ads.

Why not, given it's the same price and condition?
Some may be more willing to trust a particular buyer; some may prefer to buy from someone I've dealt with before, or someone who is local to me, or I may not wish to deal with international shipping, even as a recipient; some people routinely invoke an "asshole clause" -- there are dozens of similar reasons.
That is not an ad. I don't think it is forbidden to have "Have Aztars available" on the signature, is it? And if it is forbidden, maybe it is because it follows the current policy?
There are current signatures that explicitly include "WTB", including at least one in this thread. :cool
What to be gained is more clarity to the potential seller and avoiding fishing albeit only partially. It is not perfect and it does not work as well as in WTS ads, as I stated earlier. But it helps imo.
Sure, that's the cure, but what is the disease here? If someone runs a WTB ad, I post or pm in response, and my offer is ignored, what have I lost? 15 seconds of the ridiculous amount of time I spend on PCF daily?

Having said all that, I'm not dying on that hill, although it seems so given my willingness to debate, LOL!! It is not that big of a deal to me.
Aw, Paulo, you're no fun any more. :cool:mad::cool

Honestly, and this is a general statement to a lot of things here, if it was all cut and dried and you didn’t have to do anything except order from a catalog at a set price or sell to a vendor at a set price I’d probably lose interest. If everything worked like clockwork nobody would talk and it would just be a pawn shop here. I like figuring out how it kinda works and then working with the individuals to fine tune the details of OUR DEAL, not necessarily the same details that will work for YOUR deal. I appreciate the fluiditity of the situation.

Some may be more willing to trust a particular buyer; some may prefer to buy from someone I've dealt with before, or someone who is local to me, or I may not wish to deal with international shipping, even as a recipient; some people routinely invoke an "asshole clause" -- there are dozens of similar reasons.

In some of those cases, it works for sales as well. We have seen some WTS ads with the 'asshole' clause. IMO, there should be a 'right to refuse' clause as well but I do not want to open another can of warms, LOL!

Aw, Paulo, you're no fun any more. :cool:mad::cool

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think it just feels a bit counter productive to me personally. Sometimes I get a better price than I was expecting (I've actually paid more than the price that was offered a couple of times because it felt too cheap) and other times it's more than I was expecting to pay, but in almost every instance I can recall so far, I've just paid the price that was offered.

Especially if its something I really need. So I suppose I just prefer to leave it up to a potential seller.

Honestly, and this is a general statement to a lot of things here, if it was all cut and dried and you didn’t have to do anything except order from a catalog at a set price or sell to a vendor at a set price I’d probably lose interest. If everything worked like clockwork nobody would talk and it would just be a pawn shop here. I like figuring out how it kinda works and then working with the individuals to fine tune the details of OUR DEAL, not necessarily the same details that will work for YOUR deal. I appreciate the fluiditity of the situation.

Do not disagree with that sentiment whatsoever and can be easily convinced even the WTS should not be forced to have a stated price. And that nothing can be enforced until the buyer and seller "shake hands".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom