Should I build my own poker table? (1 Viewer)

SocalPokerLover

Sitting Out
Reaction score
For context, I’ve had the same Barrington “8” person (which seats 6 comfortable or 7 tight) for a couple years now.

Recently I have started to try and expand my player base in my home games. So I am looking to getting a bigger table.

Of course it would be easy to just go onto any big poker table building website and order a custom table, but I’m not sure if I want to shell out $1200+ on a poker table.

I have a background in woodworking and have a basic understanding of how to build a poker table.

I guess the question would be, is building your own poker table worth it compared to a pre built table?

I would appreciate anybodys input on this. P.S. which will my wife be less mad about me spending money on? Haha

Hope everyone is having a great day. Thank you for your inputs.

For context, I’ve had the same Barrington “8” person (which seats 6 comfortable or 7 tight) for a couple years now.

Recently I have started to try and expand my player base in my home games. So I am looking to getting a bigger table.

Of course it would be easy to just go onto any big poker table building website and order a custom table, but I’m not sure if I want to shell out $1200+ on a poker table.

I have a background in woodworking and have a basic understanding of how to build a poker table.

I guess the question would be, is building your own poker table worth it compared to a pre built table?

I would appreciate anybodys input on this. P.S. which will my wife be less mad about me spending money on? Haha

If you've got the skills, I wholeheartedly think it's worth it. I've built 3 and the feeling of pride that I have playing on them is something that is cooler than the equivalent amount you'd shell out on a pre-built table. You can also pick and choose every detail (e.g. rail type, material, color, cup holder size and location, etc.)

Build it. If you can use a router, a drill and a stapler you can build a table.

What you're paying for is expertise specific to the project which will take a nice table to an absolute work of art and is going to be worth it if you go that route. But building one is a fun project and a great accomplishment. Plus it will save you some money. You can build a very solid folding table for under $600 if you already have the tools. Add gorilla legs and a fully custom cloth from someone like Tony and you're still under $900.

yes, do it.

i did it once circa 2005 with virtually no woodworking or building experience and enjoyed the project, it came out pretty decent, and i got quite a few years out of it. i sold it to an acquaintance due to lack of space, and he upgraded it to add cupholders. i still have FROR if he ever gets rid of it, but for now i like my speed-clothed Barrington for easy storage.

I built one with my Grandfather in 2004 because you really couldn’t buy one for a reasonable price. It’s a racetrack because that was easier to build. I actually kind of like it because the center felt is a defined betting area and there is a bit of spilled drink protection. That said I would have preferred a table with cup holders in the rail but won’t get rid of this because my Grandfather has passed on.

One useful feature is a chip drawer under the table at the dealer spot. I recommend highly.

If it were me I would just buy one and not deal with the aggravation. But if you are skilled and want to do it (and will do it well) there is a satisfaction and sense of pride. People still compliment me on my table all these years later. I did upgrade the wood legs we built to some from BBO as they are way stiffer.

09809388-B051-4984-ABA6-3A53625D3D2B.jpeg

Highly recommend building it yourself. It is not only a fun project but as others have said the sense of pride you have playing on it is the most rewarding part. I've built several over the years for friends and myself and every one of them has a great story and great memories.

Why would you post a link to others that will build it for you in a thread where someone is looking to build it themselves?

Wouldn't a link to an especially helpful "build it yourself" thread be much more useful?
My error, thought it was a thread of self built tables

Yes. Especially if you have woodworking skills. You can do it, it allows for total customization, and it’s satisfying.

Btw, I don’t know if this is advisable or not, but in my latest build I used Sumauma plywood from Lowes. I had never heard of it, but it was 1/3 of the price at the time and super lightweight compared to regular ply. I wanted something light bc I was making a folding table like the barrington. The result was a table I could lift up and carry around, and I didn’t notice a difference in stability compared to the table before that which weighed close to 100 pounds.

Just saying, there are a million ways to make a table, and I feel like only a few wrong ways :)

Btw, I don’t know if this is advisable or not, but in my latest build I used Sumauma plywood from Lowes. I had never heard of it, but it was 1/3 of the price at the time and super lightweight compared to regular ply. I wanted something light bc I was making a folding table like the barrington. The result was a table I could lift up and carry around, and I didn’t notice a difference in stability compared to the table before that which weighed close to 100 pounds.

Just saying, there are a million ways to make a table, and I feel like only a few wrong ways :)

If your primary purpose is to have a table that's easy to move around and transport (especially if you often set up by yourself), a lighter table isn't a bad idea. But just note that while the lighter table might still be stable & not flex when people lean on it, a heavier table will ultimately be more solid, especially on a non-carpeted surface with folding legs. If you accidentally bump a lighter table, it's going to move/jump more than a heavier table, potentially knocking over chips. Just something to keep in mind for those considering the option.

As long as you have a Router I’d say to go for it! Definitely will save you some money. And you’ll have exactly what you want.

I'll be the dissenter here and say it is a tremendous pain in the ass. I started one years ago and never finished. I think the combination of 1. I am not very handy with the wood working, 2. I live in a row house and don't have much space to work, 3. It seems you constantly have to buy some piece of equipment that you don't have and will probably never use again (I keep running across C Clamps I've never used), and 4. Kids.

Did I mention I'm not very handy.

Pay someone who knows what they are doing and has the time & gear.

If I had any woodworking skill at all I would absolutely build my table. The only thing I can do with wood is break it. You could customize it just exactly the way you want it for way less than you could buy it for. Even with the outrageous price of lumber right now

Last edited:
If I had any woodworking skill at all I would absolutely build my table. The only thing I can do with wood is break it. You could customize it just exactly the way you want it for way less than you could buy it for. Even with the outrageous price of lumber right now
This is true! But an amateur can still make something very high quality with lots of research on what they’re building (watching YouTube). After watching tons of videos I was surprised how simple a poker take was to build!

Just do it build one u will make it yours in your own way better then paying for a table that u don’t know how it was built and the after feeling when your done is way better then buying one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom