Should I accept the refund? (CLOSED)...please don't comment. (2 Viewers)

Should I accept the refund or get the chips?

• Refund

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Chips

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matthew627

Flush
Reaction score
EDIT: Seller reached out and verified my identity with WhatsApp. He says that he will ship out tomorrow.

Good morning my PCF friends,

i wanted your opinion to know if I was being too pushy. I am not going to use too many details as I dont want the other parties name to come out and it was done in PMs, so other threads won’t reveal it.

I have had my eye on some nice Chips since the sale and my heart was broken finding out I didnt get them. I found out a person on here had some of the chips I wanted.

me: reached out to see if they were interested in selling.

Seller: explained that he got a good deal on them and he had them on the way to himself. Currently in shipping.

me: let me know if you ever wanna sell

seller: I may one day he tells he. A day later he messages me saying he changed his mind on chips and needed funds for the others, so was now willing to sell the chips. This was April 2nd.

me: absolutely...immediately thanked him and sent the funds.

chips were still in the mail to him and got delayed...

seller: April 13th - chips almost at his place (according to tracking). He then decides because of the hacking to cancel the order. He is worried I might be hacked.

me: really want the chips. I send him a picture of my license with a handwritten message next to it and also included my recent chip purchases in the picture. License also has my address. I also ask him to reach out to anyone in my feedback I have purchased from and ask where the chips were shipped.

seller: still wants to refund.

question: Am I being unreasonable or should the seller honor the deal?

edit: I am not going to send seller’s information. The point was not to out someone, it was to determine if I was being unreasonable or not.

Last edited:
Hackers don't send people money. That doesn't even make sense to me. If you sent Paypal FF then they have the money. It isnt like its a fake check scam or something.

That being said, I personally hate holding onto peoples' money. I wouldn't have accepted payment until I had the chips in my hand.

You aren't unreasonable to still want the chips and ask to continue the deal.

It is within their right to cancel it if they want, but I would have more respect for them if they were honest about changing their mind or if they would communicate the actual reason they want to cancel the deal. The hack angle seems totally bogus to me unless I am missing some context here. And regardless, I would not be happy about the cancellation of the deal let alone be made about being lied to. A deal is a deal and I don't see any extenuating circumstances which should get in the way of that.

seller: April 13th - chips almost at his place (according to tracking). He then decides because of the hacking to cancel the order. He is worried I might be hacked.

This part sound like BS, if you are the hacker you have paid and i send the chip just sound like normal transactions to me.

If he change his mind jsut say honestly that he change his idea and wish to refund the money, there no need to lie about it

It sounds to me like the seller just “borrowed” your money to buy the chips he wanted and now has the funds to pay you back so wants to keep the chips he “sold” you. Super shady in my book and I probably would demand the chips. By the way if you could pm me his info so I can add him to my do not deal with list that would be cool.

It sounds like the seller got cold feet and is using the hack as an excuse to keep the chips after all. You really have no choice but to accept the refund. What else are you going to do? LEave the funds in the ether while he keeps the chips?

Sounds a little strange, I voted you should get the chips you already paid for (when the seller didn’t even have the chips yet). You showed a lot of trust, seller isn’t earning any trust at this point.

Feel free to PM seller name, they won’t ever need to deal with me.

Hackers don't send people money.
^This x100.

Hell I’ll buy the chips from the seller then sell them to you if that makes them feel more comfortable. We’ve likely done a deal before so they’d know my PP info and address from previous PMs likely. If they aren’t willing to do that then I call total BS. I don’t think you’re out of line to be frustrated by this given the scenario and you should still want/deserve your chips.

I am generally in agreement with the sentiment above that it sounds like an excuse to back out, but I am always willing to hear out the other side although it sounds like he's drawn dead. You wanting the deal honored is definitely reasonable but it is possible those chips are already on their way elsewhere.

I will just say my one transaction with you a while ago was absolutely top-notch/seamless and your communication is always transparent in PMs. Sorry for the situation you are dealing with.

^This x100.

Hell I’ll buy the chips from the seller then sell them to you if that makes them feel more comfortable. We’ve likely done a deal before so they’d know my PP info and address from previous PMs likely. If they aren’t willing to do that then I call total BS. I don’t think you’re out of line to be frustrated by this given the scenario and you should still want/deserve your chips.
Or ... you and I have dealt plenty of times so I can send them screenshots verifying both your address and your PP.... outside of that, the rationale for backing out of the deal is BS.

Lol, once you take the refund the chips show up in the auction or at flipper prices in the classifieds. Seller probably looking to maximize profit.
In my book the deal is done when the moneys sent. People make plans, daisy chain purchases based on sales, hold off on deals looking for your chips, etc.... and when they get jacked around like this it puts a big black cloud in all involved parties life’s.
How long before we have to start signing contracts with penalty clauses for delayed shipping, etc... because we don’t trust each other?

It sounds to me like the seller just “borrowed” your money to buy the chips he wanted and now has the funds to pay you back so wants to keep the chips he “sold” you. Super shady in my book and I probably would demand the chips. By the way if you could pm me his info so I can add him to my do not deal with list that would be cool.
Same here, please send his info just so I know not to deal with him moving forward.

Lol, once you take the refund the chips show up in the auction or at flipper prices in the classifieds. Seller probably looking to maximize profit.
This is my guess as well (just based on info. provided in the OP). Seller realized he could make more money selling elsewhere, and needs an excuse to back out (recent hacking issue).

I am generally in agreement with the sentiment above that it sounds like an excuse to back out, but I am always willing to hear out the other side although it sounds like he's drawn dead. You wanting the deal honored is definitely reasonable but it is possible those chips are already on their way elsewhere.

I will just say my one transaction with you a while ago was absolutely top-notch/seamless and your communication is always transparent in PMs. Sorry for the situation you are dealing with.

I always take this position as well before I pull out the picthfork. I wouldn't call for this persons head unless I hear their side of the story and it doesn't sound right. Plenty of room for additional context or a misunderstanding that could change the view of them. But as far as OP's question, I definitely say insist on the chips.

I’d expect them to keep the deal. Personally when I receive funds I immediately view the chips as someone else’s property that is temporarily under my care to deliver safely.

I might give a little extra grace\understanding to a relatively new chipper under certain circumstances but it depends.

seller probably has a better offer. Deal should be done, you should be getting them. However....

Take the chip karma (and refund) and walk away.

Tell him you want the chips you paid for. If he refuses to ship, then accept the refund and publicly out him for not honoring his word after he had your cash in hand.

The chipping community deserves to know about shady characters. Nothing good is gained by protecting them with silence.

I always take this position as well before I pull out the picthfork. I wouldn't call for this persons head unless I hear their side of the story and it doesn't sound right. Plenty of room for additional context or a misunderstanding that could change the view of them. But as far as OP's question, I definitely say insist on the chips.

The absolute best way to approach it is to ask that if they really are concerned about the hack to find another way of authentication. There are many ways in which this can be done and which the community is happy to help out. This is an easy litmus test. If they are not willing to even explore those options then the claims were bogus.

First off, don't send someone money when they don't even have possession of the chips. Personally I would not accept money for chips I did not have in hand. Make the deal in good faith and wait for the chips to arrive and then once the chips are in possession of the seller, make the deal official, just good business.
Second, as much as it sucks when someone makes a deal with you and backs out, just demanding he sell you the chips will not work, he will just say no and you are out of moves. I would give it a try but I wouldn't expect it to work.
Your only move here is to take the refund and move on adding this person to your do not deal with list. You can out the person publicly for backing out of the deal, but be prepared for his side of the story to come out as well. sucks but not much else you can do.

Tell him you want the chips you paid for. If he refuses to ship, then accept the refund and publicly out him for not honoring his word after he had your cash in hand.

The chipping community deserves to know about shady characters. Nothing good is gained by protecting them with silence.
This

It sounds like the seller got cold feet and is using the hack as an excuse to keep the chips after all...

Sounds like the person had seller's remorse...

He is obviously waffling. Take the refund. Keep it on good terms and you will probably get them down the road.

^^^ All of these

These are obviously the $100,000 per rack snappers. Seller wants to hold onto them because he may be able to retire with them one day. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't drop a ton of money on WAY overhyped chips. The next new shiny set will come along and people who have these will want those...

You "avoid this user" guys are savage.

Speaking in general and not in this specific instance, "where there's smoke, there's fire". People who function a certain way rarely change their ways and are much more likely to continue operating how they have in the past. Some of us unfortunately learn this the hard way. Knowing what I do now, I absolutely have people on my "do not deal list" and in some specific instances, it is from reading very open threads with everything laid out on the table. Once again, this is generally speaking.

Personally when I receive funds I immediately view the chips as someone else’s property that is temporarily under my care to deliver safely.

Exactly, although in the instance of trading, once a deal is agreed to and confirmed in writing I would apply the same line of thought.

Lots of assumptions and speculation here, only hearing OP’s perspective. Right, wrong, or indifferent, the deal has fallen through, and the seller is (hopefully) prepared to refund. The OP doesn’t sound like he has any option other than to accept the refund. Without anybody in this thread (including OP) knowing the REAL reason for the deal falling through, may I offer some advice to not be so quick at jumping to assumptions and throwing the seller under the bus. Everyone in their own right can choose to not do business with said seller, but I don’t think it’s fair in this scenario for OP to disclose who that is.
In summary, spread love, not hate. Hoping it works out for you, OP, either in this deal, or may you have luck finding these chips at a future deal. Happy chipping :)

I agree

I suggest telling the seller that you’d prefer they honor the deal, but if they won’t you will accept the refund. I’d probably leave neutral feedback and state factually what happened without editorial comments. That is enough feedback to help other buyers decide about future transactions.

Then I’d move on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom