Short Handed Poker - Best Games to play? (1 Viewer)

Madmizike

Pair
Reaction score
I don’t think this has been discussed (at least I couldn’t find anything related) but what are the best variants to play when short handed i.e. 3-5 players?

I imagine it depends on the group but any thoughts based on prior experiences? Flop, Draw, Stud etc?

Thanks!

Short deck is fun short handed.

Also , we play a stupid game that we invented called Pineapple Cake. (Other people may play the same thing by another name but I haven’t heard about it)

-Plays like pot limit holdem.
-Everyone is dealt 6 cards.
-On each street players discard one card (including preflop) before a round of betting.
-When we want to make the game even stupider we throw in a joker or two to play wild.
-We require the 2 remaining hole cards on the river to play
-Fun catch: a player can announce ‘pineapple cake’ upon discarding their 1st preflop card. This gives them a 5 card board (revealed at showdown) to play against other players’ community board (or their pineapple cake’s board). Betting and discarding for everyone else continues as normal.

Any variation of Omaha, Scrotum, Scarney, or draw games like badugi and 2-7 lowball all work well with a low number of players

Some say it's crazy, but I love dealers choice shorthanded. I'll even play it heads up.

"See 3, play 2"
It's high/low

Deal 1 card to everyone face down, bet.
Deal 1 card to everyone face up, bet.
Players have option to swap out their up card, down card or stand pat. Bet

Last action declares first, declare progresses around the table.

Pair of aces is best high.
Ace deuce is best low.

Anything but holdem, really.

I love stud. I play in a mixed limit game online that has all kinds of crazy games, and unfortunately almost always plays shorthanded. I am really learning to love all the triple draw games...we play badugi, 2-7, A-5 lowball...then all the different variants. Super stud is in the mix and is always a wild ride. Sorry folks...no scarney or scrotum.

"See 3, play 2"
It's high/low

Deal 1 card to everyone face down, bet.
Deal 1 card to everyone face up, bet.
Players have option to swap out their up card, down card or stand pat. Bet

Last action declares first, declare progresses around the table.

Pair of aces is best high.
Ace deuce is best low.
Two-card poker like this was called "Hurricane" and was popular during WWII. Often played high-low like this, often played with deuces wild.

I just got back into poker about 5 years ago and have been totally consumed with just NLH but have recently started to give my attention to the mixed games and it def adds a new flavor/variety.

Stud is great short handed because it can help you build up your skills tracking up cards since there are fewer to pay attention to.
We played a lot of draw games back in the day short handed like regular 5 card, 2-7, 2-7 Triple Draw and Badugi.

Dealers choice is great 5 handed, not bad 4 handed either. And it’s nice that that you get to call a game more often.

3 handed dealer choice is fine, but Open Face Chinese is much better IMO

Agree on Open Face Chinese for a really low number of players. If you're more 4-6...

Scarney
Any draw game (Lowball, triple draw, archie, badugi, etc.)
Drawmaha variants
Three hand hold'em
SOHE/SHESHE

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom