Short Deck (1 Viewer)

Final table of the Triton HKD 500K Short Deck tournament is live in 5 minutes on the Triton twitch channel:

9 players left including Dwan, Jason Koon and Gabe Patgorski (this guy is action and a fun player to watch).

Triton Hold'em: 36 cards (2’s thru 5’s removed). Flush beats a full house. Ace acts as high (TJQKA) and low (A6789) for making straight (so acts as A and as 5). No blinds, but ante only and double ante on the button.

Last edited:
I'm running a short-deck low stakes (.25/.50¢) cash game in Orlando tomorrow. It's our first go at it, so I'll post some feedback about how it went afterwards.

I'm running a short-deck low stakes (.25/.50¢) cash game in Orlando tomorrow. It's our first go at it, so I'll post some feedback about how it went afterwards.

812218.gif

how'd it go?
It went pretty well, I'd say. No major misunderstandings and almost universal enjoyment of the the game. One of our younger players came a little late and was buying in short and getting crushed, so he eventually asked to change the game back to regular NLHE, so we did for a couple of orbits and till he went complete budto and left, then we changed it back

The math lines up. If you play the game you see it too. It’s very clear the probabilities change.

Yep, we hardly saw any flushes all night long. I remember two, maybe three over about 5.5 hours of mostly short-deck.

Of course, I remember having several flush draws that I probably pushed a bit too hard given the lower number of outs.

Yep, we hardly saw any flushes all night long. I remember two, maybe three over about 5.5 hours of mostly short-deck.

Of course, I remember having several flush draws that I probably pushed a bit too hard given the lower number of outs.

My favorite flush was the final one, where I scooped the 3 way short-deck blind Omaha flip!

The Poker Masters series on PokerGO right now features a short-deck $10K tournament (event #4). There is also a lot of buzz/discussion on the Poker Central podcast this week (Eps 112 and 113).

I heard about short-deck a few weeks ago and almost started a thread about it.
The game is not that old and I wonder if someone stole my idea?
A few years ago I posted a thread (here or on CT, I can't remember) about a game played
with the deuces removed from the deck with the idea being to 'slightly' adjust the odds
for drawing hands.
Basically the idea was poo-pooed partially because it was seen as taboo to alter the deck
by removing cards. But I guess its ok to remove the 3, 4 and 5 too.
I never played short-deck. It might be too much variance for my taste. I think a game with
just the 2's and 3's out would be fun.

The Poker Masters series on PokerGO right now features a short-deck $10K tournament (event #4). There is also a lot of buzz/discussion on the Poker Central podcast this week (Eps 112 and 113).

***SPOILER***
Yeah, ***Ike Haxton*** took it down having never played the game before!

I have played it and personally don’t like a game that doesn’t use a traditional deck of cards with traditional hand rankings. Those are my hangups with short deck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom