Shootout at the Post IV - April 6-8, 2017

krafticus

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where to begin....

The MD crew (minus PhilLaFond sadly) arrived at BWI airport at noon for our 1:45 flight. All checked in and quickly through security, we felt confident we would be at the post on time. @trever set the line for 7:42 on our 1:45 flight. How could we not make the under, right? Well, the plane we were going to take arrived 15 minutes late, and then had some mechanical issues. GATE CHANGE !!. We run from B6 to A11 and arrive at our gate, along with a full flight of passengers headed to San Jose. An announcement comes on that the plane in the gate will now be headed to Atlanta instead of San Jose. WIN... until an hour later, when they confirm with the pilot that the plane is ACTUALLY headed to San Jose. You know what that means... GATE CHANGE... and Back to B9 we go. Once at the gate, the new plane arrives and all of the people get on, and guess what ?!?!?! the plane has a mechanical issue. Luckily, they get the issue fixed in about 10 minutes. We finally board the plane (Full flight), and the captain announces that the 1st officer is en route from another flight. we wait for him to arrive, and finally push back from the gate at 4:45. We land at 6:45 and take the MARTA to the last stop at 7:40 Once there, we pull up the uber app, and some Jackass (me) sees a time under the car.. 8:15. NO way that I am waiting until 8:15 for a car, so we take a cab. We later realize that the time listed was arrival time. oops!!.

... and that was the worst part of the trip, because everything after was amazing...

We arrive at the post closer to 8:30 in the midst of the rodeo. I lost 1/2 of my stack on the 1st hand when I had 411 outs and missed them all. I bust out to @k9dr and move on to the cash games. As people have already mentioned, we used the cap room chips, and they were gorgeous. I pretty much stayed even until my last hand. I thought I had turned the nuts on a BigO hand, and proudly show @Chippy McChiperson and @MikesDad, at which they both look at me with this perplexing stare. Yeah, I mis-read my hand when I jammed and was called by @Mr Tree and one other (sorry, I cannot remember). I actually river my straight, and Tom turns his nut low hand over, and I show my straight. Sweet, I get 1/2 in a 3-way pot, right !.. wrong, Tom looks at his other cards, and sees that he has a Jack high straight to my 10 high straight. oops!!! We call it a night and head back.

Friday was all cash, and I was very excited to play on @bivey CdN cash set. One of my new favorites for sure. Not that I didn't want to play on Chippy's set, but I have that opportunity more than others. I ran good early, until I received a text from my wife. I almost missed this meetup due to an ill family member, but he had made it through the week and I went. her text: "Uncle Kevin passed away this morning". I was devastated, and had to take a break. I spoke with my wife, and she told me to stay, as there wasn't much we could do. Arriving back to the table, everyone saw something was wrong. This community of people, as many have said, are fantastic people. Everyone made sure I was ok, and kept tabs on me throughout the weekend. Special thanks to @Mrs Poker Zombie @Poker Zombie and @David O for your support. I can't say thank you enough.

For the remainder of Friday, we played cash, finishing the day up $20 for the trip. Finally, I was able to drink throughout the day since I no longer had to be the DD for the MD crew. We will definitely be taking uber from here out.

Saturday is tournament day, and I get the 9 seat on table 2. we had a full table until BG busts out and we lose our 10 seat. I hit an early boat to take some chips from @Jeff . The blinds are now 50/100, and this hand happens. David O in the 4 seat raises to 400. there are 2 callers, and I look down at :9c::tc: and call. 2 more callers, so about 2k in the pot. the flop is :4d::th: :9d:. BINGO. David leads out for 1500. I think, and decide not to slow play this,and raise to 4100. David thinks for a few seconds, and reraises me to 9k (ish). I insta-ship it for 24k and he calls. I had put him on a big pair or AK suited. He turns over :qd::qh: and I am excited. the turn brings the :2d:, which I don't like, but still feel good. River, :2c: . OUCH. I am left with 450 in chips, and ship it dark next hand. David takes that hand too, and collects my bounty.

@H|Q busts out soon after, and we start playing OFCP for $.25 per point with the Paymasters in the storage closet. I've played a few times with @inca911 to understand the play, and Harley helps me with the points. I ran pretty good early, and was up about $5. I come back to even, before I hit a huge hand. I believe it was JJJ on top, flush in the middle, and either bigger flush or boat on the bottom. I believe I collected about 21 points that hand. I call that beginners luck for sure. Once we settle up, I am up the $5, and am now hooked on OFCP.

@Supahnit, myself, Harley, and a local (Parker) start a hold'em table, and it was a little crazy. Harley and I are 3-betting everything, pushing the edge on parker, and playing crazy. Harley doubles up when he 3-bets me with 85 and I call with J6. the flop was 859, and Harley leads out. I call. turn 5, and I lead out for 25. he calls. river is a 7, and he shoves. I snap. OOPS!!!

I was running the bank, and stayed at the holdem table for a while. Once a second circus table started, I moved over with @kirchhausen @jbutler @Ben , Harley and David. I lose my stack in a Sho-Dugi hand where I had a nut 3-card badugi. I re-potted ben and just said repot repot repot. that slowed him down, but he called with trips in holdem and a 4-card badugi to the Q. I really thought my 3-card was going to hold. OOPS!! PLaying bad and running bad for the remainder of night, I was down about 130 from my second buy-in. after the last hand, Chippy is left with $66 and asks for a flip. Rick and I oblige, and I bink it with trip Q's. Finished even for my second buy in.

We get up early and headed to the airport. We had to take a quick detour around I-85, but drove right past the collapsed bridge. an amazing sight to see for sure, I hope the city of Atlanta can recover quickly.

Again, special thanks to Mr Tree for all of your hospitality
Thanks @courage for letting me borrow your truck to run to the hotel to check in. Send any speeding camera tickets to Chippy, he's got them.
It was great to connect with the great people of PCF again, and cannot wait until my kids are older and won't mind me being away for a long weekend.
Thanks to all of the losers of credit-card roulette. "Free" breakfast was awesome!

I wish I had more time at the tables to chat with @ChaosRock , @detroitdad , @Gear , @Ronoh and everyone else.

I cannot wait for the next meetup. I am limited to 1 per year for now, so I appreciate every moment of these events.

Thank you !!!!!!!

Mark

Last edited:

courage

Full House
Reaction score
Many thanks to @Mr Tree for running a wonderful event! Was very glad I could make it to an official S@P finally. Lots of great folks in attendance and I was delighted to meet a bunch of PCFers that were new to me (at least face-to-face) and reconnect with old friends. Had the opportunity to play with many amazing sets and give them a workout by shipping tall stacks to whoever was at my table. BBQ and beers were stellar!

Many thanks to my traveling companions @H|Q and @Ben for keeping me awake and the REBUY truck gassed up. I lol'd at harley trying to drink Hindis of liquor to compensate for losses, but I also did my part. :LOL: :laugh: Collective losses for the REBUY truck I'd say covered any other group in attendance. :cautious: This seems befitting the theme of the Hitching Post!

swearengen.jpeg

Mr Tree

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Where to begin....

The MD crew (minus PhilLaFond sadly) arrived at BWI airport at noon for our 1:45 flight. All checked in and quickly through security, we felt confident we would be at the post on time. @trever set the line for 7:42 on our 1:45 flight. How could we not make the under, right? Well, the plane we were going to take arrived 15 minutes late, and then had some mechanical issues. GATE CHANGE !!. We run from B6 to A11 and arrive at our gate, along with a full flight of passengers headed to San Jose. An announcement comes on that the plane in the gate will now be headed to Atlanta instead of San Jose. WIN... until an hour later, when they confirm with the pilot that the plane is ACTUALLY headed to San Jose. You know what that means... GATE CHANGE... and Back to B9 we go. Once at the gate, the new plane arrives and all of the people get on, and guess what ?!?!?! the plane has a mechanical issue. Luckily, they get the issue fixed in about 10 minutes. We finally board the plane (Full flight), and the captain announces that the 1st officer is en route from another flight. we wait for him to arrive, and finally push back from the gate at 4:45. We land at 6:45 and take the MARTA to the last stop at 7:40 Once there, we pull up the uber app, and some Jackass (me) sees a time under the car.. 8:15. NO way that I am waiting until 8:15 for a car, so we take a cab. We later realize that the time listed was arrival time. oops!!.

... and that was the worst part of the trip, because everything after was amazing...

We arrive at the post closer to 8:30 in the midst of the rodeo. I lost 1/2 of my stack on the 1st hand when I had 411 outs and missed them all. I bust out to @k9dr and move on to the cash games. As people have already mentioned, we used the cap room chips, and they were gorgeous. I pretty much stayed even until my last hand. I thought I had turned the nuts on a BigO hand, and proudly show @Chippy McChiperson and @MikesDad, at which they both look at me with this perplexing stare. Yeah, I mis-read my hand when I jammed and was called by @Mr Tree and one other (sorry, I cannot remember). I actually river my straight, and Tom turns his nut low hand over, and I show my straight. Sweet, I get 1/2 in a 3-way pot, right !.. wrong, Tom looks at his other cards, and sees that he has a Jack high straight to my 10 high straight. oops!!! We call it a night and head back.

Friday was all cash, and I was very excited to play on @bivey CdN cash set. One of my new favorites for sure. Not that I didn't want to play on Chippy's set, but I have that opportunity more than others. I ran good early, until I received a text from my wife. I almost missed this meetup due to an ill family member, but he had made it through the week and I went. her text: "Uncle Kevin passed away this morning". I was devastated, and had to take a break. I spoke with my wife, and she told me to stay, as there wasn't much we could do. Arriving back to the table, everyone saw something was wrong. This community of people, as many have said, are fantastic people. Everyone made sure I was ok, and kept tabs on me throughout the weekend. Special thanks to @Mrs Poker Zombie @Poker Zombie and @David O for your support. I can't say thank you enough.

For the remainder of Friday, we played cash, finishing the day up $20 for the trip. Finally, I was able to drink throughout the day since I no longer had to be the DD for the MD crew. We will definitely be taking uber from here out.

Saturday is tournament day, and I get the 9 seat on table 2. we had a full table until BG busts out and we lose our 10 seat. I hit an early boat to take some chips from @Jeff . The blinds are now 50/100, and this hand happens. David O in the 4 seat raises to 400. there are 2 callers, and I look down at :9c::tc: and call. 2 more callers, so about 2k in the pot. the flop is :4d::th: :9d:. BINGO. David leads out for 1500. I think, and decide not to slow play this,and raise to 4100. David thinks for a few seconds, and reraises me to 9k (ish). I insta-ship it for 24k and he calls. I had put him on a big pair or AK suited. He turns over :qd::qh: and I am excited. the turn brings the :2d:, which I don't like, but still feel good. River, :2c: . OUCH. I am left with 450 in chips, and ship it dark next hand. David takes that hand too, and collects my bounty.

@H|Q busts out soon after, and we start playing OFCP for $.25 per point with the Paymasters in the storage closet. I've played a few times with @inca911 to understand the play, and Harley helps me with the points. I ran pretty good early, and was up about $5. I come back to even, before I hit a huge hand. I believe it was JJJ on top, flush in the middle, and either bigger flush or boat on the bottom. I believe I collected about 21 points that hand. I call that beginners luck for sure. Once we settle up, I am up the $5, and am now hooked on OFCP.

@Supahnit, myself, Harley, and a local (Parker) start a hold'em table, and it was a little crazy. Harley and I are 3-betting everything, pushing the edge on parker, and playing crazy. Harley doubles up when he 3-bets me with 85 and I call with J6. the flop was 859, and Harley leads out. I call. turn 5, and I lead out for 25. he calls. river is a 7, and he shoves. I snap. OOPS!!!

I was running the bank, and stayed at the holdem table for a while. Once a second circus table started, I moved over with @kirchhausen @jbutler @Ben , Harley and David. I lose my stack in a Sho-Dugi hand where I had a nut 3-card badugi. I re-potted ben and just said repot repot repot. that slowed him down, but he called with trips in holdem and a 4-card badugi to the Q. I really thought my 3-card was going to hold. OOPS!! PLaying bad and running bad for the remainder of night, I was down about 130 from my second buy-in. after the last hand, Chippy is left with $66 and asks for a flip. Rick and I oblige, and I bink it with trip Q's. Finished even for my second buy in.

We get up early and headed to the airport. We had to take a quick detour around I-85, but drove right past the collapsed bridge. an amazing sight to see for sure, I hope the city of Atlanta can recover quickly.

Again, special thanks to Mr Tree for all of your hospitality
Thanks @courage for letting me borrow your truck to run to the hotel to check in. Send any speeding camera tickets to Chippy, he's got them.
It was great to connect with the great people of PCF again, and cannot wait until my kids are older and won't mind me being away for a long weekend.
Thanks to all of the losers of credit-card roulette. "Free" breakfast was awesome!

I wish I had more time at the tables to chat with @ChaosRock , @detroitdad , @Gear , @Ronoh and everyone else.

I cannot wait for the next meetup. I am limited to 1 per year for now, so I appreciate every moment of these events.

Thank you !!!!!!!

Mark
Mark, I'm so sorry...I had no idea your uncle passed during the event.

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
S@P IV trip report - Wednesday:

Weather could only keep the weak away. That said, it was helpful to be arriving via ground transit. Clear skies until 30 minutes out, then the bottom fell out of the clouds.
Untitled-1.jpg

It turns out this was an omen for each day of the shootout.

Zombies arrived at the post and did a little prep work for Thursday's dinner as Tom ran his last errands for the weekend. Most of us host events, few ever host 5 tables (6 if you count the loser's lounge OFCP game). Nobody in their right mind would host an event that large in their own home. Tom's not sane. More than happy to help out in any way possible.

It wasn't long and cards were in the air for 2/2 limit circus games. I won hands early on, and was up for the first two hours or so - a rare feeling for me at meetups. Then the bottom fell out. Losing to @Gear , @Wifey ,@Mr Tree, and of course @Mrs Poker Zombie ... still felt like a win.

Then we headed out for dinner, where @inca911 and @bivey were waiting. It turns out that this was the most important meal of the event, as 33% of the attendees would win a championship over the next few days (although Forrest's would be through his son - it still counts).

Return to the post meant another round of Limit fun. Once again I do well early, but as I get closer to wrapping up for the night my own personal cloud busts open on me and I watch as my chip-stack washes away. Still, some fun times as I get to reconnect with super nice guy @ChaosRock , my buddy in cooking crime @detroitdad , and my new friend who I would spend a good deal of time chatting with @flipupchipup . I actually had to dip into my day 2 bankroll to make it through day 1, so I am one of the few to openly admit that I'm looking forward to NLHE on Thursday. I planned to get some early sleep in preparation for the full onslaught of poker on Thursday, but as my Fitbit was happy to tell me - that simply was not going to happen.

Rest wed.jpg

Stay tuned to this thread for Thursday's report, and how many ways a sleep deprived Zombie can donk off funds...

H|Q

Flush
Reaction score
Big ups to @Mr Tree

I was so stuck on Friday, that it put me in a miserable mood. I rarely drink in a meet up, but tequila and scotch reversed the mood pretty well. Turns out it's a lot easier dealing with punting stack after stack, if you're in the bag.

It was great meeting new folks! I'll miss someone if I try listing everyone, but just know that I had a blast meeting most of you. ;)

Mrs Poker Zombie

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I'll let PZ do the full trip report and just share how we wrapped up the trip at Staplehouse.

We, of course, had made reservations; unlike several folks that showed up hoping for a table.

The first course was little gems (lettuce) with shallots, sake bushi, and burnt garlic. In addition, the dressing had smoked snapper as part of the flavoring. Really interesting and I personally enjoyed it.
2017-04-09 12.42.36.jpg

For the rest of the meal, visit the dinner thread.

MikesDad

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little late due to some logon issues... someday I'll remember my password

No need to recount the MD crews travel story... @krafticus told it well

Like everyone else, had a great time despite this being my worst financial performance at any meetup (although I did win credit card roulette for breakfast on Saturday when it was heads-up... thanks @jbutler

Rodeo -- I bust out during Big-O when I pot with with the nut-low and draws to high.. Local1 repots and local2 calls. The turn counterfeits my low and I miss my high draws.
Local 1 proudly shows A5 and JJ that hits a set on the river for a scoop.

Played a little circus for a while then switched to the Hold-em table to play with @Gear, @Wifey, @flipupchipup, @Poker Zombie and @Mrs Poker Zombie .
Two notable hands -- I flop quads on an A55 board. I check, flipup checks and Gear bets. we bothcall/ Turn is another A.. same action. River is a brick, I check raise Gear all-in and take the pot (unfortunately he only had about 50 left). Gear of course has an A for a full house and FlipUp misses his inside straigh-flush draw

A little later Gear gets some $$ back when we get it in preflop.. i have AA, he has KK... K on the flop. Mrs. PZ says she folded AK:sick:

Did ok in the main event finishing 15th. @Chippy McChiperson 's AA > my KK

Played a some Hold'em cash with krafty and @kirchhausen and some locals for a while... no good results and nothing memorable (n) :thumbsdown:

Good to see some old friend and meet new ones. Hats off to @Mr Tree for another great time and his hospitality.. much appreciated. Thanks to the Zombies for helping out as usual.

Last edited:

HDK

Reaction score
I wake up drunk and look for my phone...

I find my phone and start to figure out what to do with my day. Jbutler hits up the bat phone and says "HDK, poker, Roswell, come play." I quickly run to the bat mobile and drive half in the bag to this poker tournament. A guy in a Nissan rogue drives me from a parking lot to some rich guys house. I fart in his car, I tell no one.

I show up at the tournament and people start taking pictures like I'm the local Priest. I start to sober up and realize that I'm in some strange house and they have poker chips. I now know what time it is, time to get the fuck out of here. Before I can say anything chips are in the air and I'm playing cards. I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack, but I took Tom for a last longer. Looking back, I had 10k in chips when I made the bet and he had north of 25k. But I looked at him and realized, he looks like the kind of guy who is going to get KK fucking ran over..

Turns out I was right.

To be serious for a moment, fantastic tournament, fantastic people and thank you very much for having HDK. A truly classy group of poker players, and I couldn't think of a kinder group of people to show the graciousness of this poker forum.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"How do all of these fucking people know me?"

Still laughing at that one....

bivey

Full House
Reaction score
Ack!!!!

I completely neglected to thank @Poker Zombie and @Mrs Poker Zombie for their awesome help all weekend. I was so fried Saturday night. Sitting around chatting with Liz, MJ and @Gear was the perfect end to the weekend. Didn't play many hands with them, but the trip wasn't complete without at least hamming it up for a few hours with these awesome people! Then Jeff joined us for some chip Olympics to make it even better. I'm in post Post hangover mode for sure.

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
WOW..........great weekend. I agree with all the sentiments thrown @Mr Tree way. A great host. I love how he has embraced the "Hitching Post" theme. Its every where and it is fucking fantastic. Well done sir.

I speak with @Poker Zombie weekly. Mostly about food. It was great seeing him and Liz again.

First off. @ChaosRock has to be the best traveling companion ever. The dude is awesome. We all know this. We left WED morning around 10 am. We drove straight through and made it to Tom's just shy of 830. Paulo and I talked for the entire 10 hour drive.

We get to Tom's a few minutes before everyone else. One of my favorite moments of the entire weekend was during the drive way introductions when the WED night dinner crew showed up. "Hi, I'm Bill........errrr, detroitdad". @Wifey grabs me and gives me a giant bear hug and says its great to meet me. It was really nice hearing her sincere welcome. What a great lady.

We head inside, grab a beer and start some 2/4 limit poker. I really liked this for a couple of reasons. One, I wasn't risking my bankroll playing games I wasn't familiar with. Two, it made me realize that my two dollar riverboats will get to see some play at these stakes :) I was up about 100 early. Finished at +33 on the evening. I'll take it :) A great time was had by all.

Thursday was a whirlwind of circus cash games and the Rodeo (which I fricken loved). I think I finished up about a hundred on the day. At the rodeo I got to play with a few PCF members that I haven't played with before. I'm glad it was in a low stakes tourney and not for stacks in the cash game.

Friday was more circus games at which I got my ass handed to me. I couldn't fold a few big hands and lost about 400 pretty quickly. Nice hand @bivey Thank you for the chance got to play on your set. It's sincerely a top five favorite of mine. Once I adjusted to the black one dollar chips I was good to go. After losing my second buy in on Friday with Aces full of Kings in 3-2-1 I took about an hour break. Had a few beers. Called my lovely wife and chatted for a minute before joining the NLHE table. I was hoping to get a chance to play with @Poker Zombie for a bit. A chance to bullshit about food, chips, ect....As soon as I sat down a few players needed to leave for a second table. I was one of them :(

However, moving to the other NLHE table was blessing. I got to play cards with @TroyMan and @Supahnit . No surprise. Both guys are fantastic dudes. It was great to get to play cards with you two for a few hours. You both seem like very solid players. Also at the table were three locals that were also very nice guys. Iron Eagle, Max, and 2PG. All were fun to play with. I also got to play cards with Max for a bit in the tourney. Please pass on to him that I think he is awesome to play cards with. Fun guy to talk too. There was one hand of note vs all three of the locals that resulted in a 400 pot that I scooped. Thank god. This almost got me even for the day :)

Some details might be off. I'm in the small blind with 10d/Jd. I've been straddling and raising a lot. It limps to me. I think I make it 2.5. The three locals call me. Flop is 7d/8h/9d. WOW........nailed that damn flop. When you flop the nuts with a great re-draw and a "loose" image I decide to make it 15. 2pg instant calls (which was common). Iron Eagle goes all in for 26 bucks and Max instant calls. Since this isn't a legal raise I call and 2 PG calls. The turn is another diamond. I bet 60. 2PG calls with a little less. Max shoves about 95ish in the pot. I call and flip over my 10/j of diamonds. This surprised me. 2 PG mucks his cards and says he can't beat a flush. Iron Eagle rolls his cards over and tosses them into the muck. He is drawing dead. Max rolls over 6 high flush with a one outer to a straight flush. The river is a blank. I scoop a 400 pot and am even on the day.

SAT. was tourney day. I was at a very tough table. @Chippy McChiperson @bivey @Mr Tree @courage and a few others. Playing with Chippy was awesome. Dude, I think your an excellent player. Your timing seemed pretty on. Your over all play was fun to watch. You had me second guessing a lot of my plays. Not only was the play at the table solid. It was a lot of fun. Everyone was talking, having a good time. Thanks guys.

Another highlight for me was getting my sunsets into play on Thur. I didn't play with them. I get to all the time. I wanted a chance to fondle the Paymasters (great design). What was awesome was hearing players comment on how nice they were. I know solids aren't for everyone. The sunset design is probably for an even smaller niche of players. It was great to hear positive comments on them. I think I heard the most comments from @Wifey and Joshua (not sure of his name here).

Thanks for a great weekend of poker, chip talk, and a great time.

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
S@P IV trip report - Thursday:

I am awake waaaaay to early. The lack of sleep feels like an ice pick in my skull.

Breakfast happpens at Thumbs Up Diner. This place is packed. It is so full, they have to bring in a table from the patio to seat all the PCF'ers together. Where do all these people come from on a Thursday morning? As @detroitdad mentioned, we text weekly about food. As there are so many people at the table, I decide to text him a photo of my food.
2017-04-06 10.05.17.jpg

We head back to the post after breakfast. Given the shellacking I took in limit games, I decide to steer clear of the circus games when the limits are taken off. This isn't an issue, and I get to play on the Sunsets. There is a lot of good-natured ribbing about Bill's propensity to post pics of his Sunsets. The truth is, this set looks much better in real life than any photo will accurately portray. Vibrant colors, and "color matched" labels blend a natural photo in such a way that some people asked if the photos were tinted or if that was how the original sunset photo looked. No photo will convey this though, you gotta play on them. But if you can't, here's another photo ;)
2017-04-06 11.27.48.jpg

As is the theme of this trip, I am up about $100 for a few hours, then eventually give it back. All of it. I take a short nap and return with another $100. Again I am up about $100, then start bleeding it back off after a couple of hours.

I really need to shorten the time I spend at the table.

The Rodeo is my saving grace and I finish down only $10 from my 2nd buy-in.

2017-04-06 19.50.08.jpg

Rodeo proves to be a lot of fun. I really enjoy loss limiting myself via a tournament, plus the automatic breaks that I cannot remember to take during a cash game. I try drumming up support the rest of the night for more circus tournaments, but nearly everyone is only interested in cash games :(.

Best part of the Rodeo, of course, was @Wifey binking it. This made my day and the rest of my weekend. Sometimes the good guys do win.

Stay tuned for Friday's report...

Last edited:

Chippy McChiperson

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
First off, I wanted to say a big Thanks to @Mr Tree for once again hosting such an outstanding event. If you guys haven't had a chance to make it down, I highly recommend it. Fantastic venue, great setup, sweet chips, and an amazing host. Plus April Atlanta weather is just beautiful for all you New Englanders still shoveling yourselves out. Anyway, us Marylanders (minus Phil, missed you bud) made it down to the Post a few hours late around 8 pm or so, and immediately hopped in to the rodeo event. I got a decent stack early, but miss-played a big scrotum hand to Forrest (I hate that effing game), then had to fold a big O8 pot to David O when the stupid board came out all high. Soon after that I busted out, and it was on to the cash game, where as consolation we got to play with @flipupchipup amazing newly acquired Capital Room set. Ran hot, and I was up a decent amount. Had a couple of the hockey pock hundos in my stack, which was pretty cool. Cashed out around 2:30 or so, and made our way back to the Best Western, which surprisingly to me anyway had a very comfortable bed. Two thumbs up.

Anyway, next morning after breakfast at The Biscuit (Thanks @ChaosRock ) we amble back over to the Post, where it was degen time. I busted out my Haus of Bluff set, and Bivey (thanks for the awesome Bluffy McLiarpants shirt :D) had his stunning Chateaux De Noix set in the other room. I really wanted to play on that set, but practically it would have been pretty tough, since we were both running the bank for our respective sets. That's probably my one regret of the weekend. (Also not getting a chance to play on the paymaster set or the Sunset set, which is much brighter in person). I probably shouldn't let you guys know this, but I paid a little extra to @David Spragg and got GPS installed in my chips, so they know to always come back home. Needless to say I ran like me, and amassed another big stack. @Ronoh was also a big winner at the table. Notable other people at the table were @kirchhausen @krafticus @jbutler @courage @H|Q @Ben @ChaosRock @Mr Tree @trever @k9dr . I know there were others, but I was drinking a lot more than normal, so that day is kind of a blur for me. The bank was right at the end of the night, though :) Oh yeah, lost every flip in the flipament, but I won the "high-roller" unsanctioned event to basically break even (4 handed midnight baseball for $100 a pop, my royal scooped).

Got back to the hotel a little earlier than the night before, and after another good night's sleep, made it over to the Biscuit once again, where @jbutler was kind enough to treat us all to breakfast. On to the tournament, where we probably had the toughest starting table (deemed the Table of Death). Myself, locals Jamie and Dawn who had final tabled the previous two years, @Mr Tree @trever @bivey @detroitdad @courage and local Mike were there, and I thought I would be in for a very tough time. I was able to catch some good cards in some good spots early, and was able to amass a pretty big stack. I was helped out bigly when local psycho Jeff who had gotten moved to our table called off a big overshove squeeze with QT off, and my sooted AK held. From there I was able to bully the table, and also knocked off @courage and the remnants of local Mike.

With about 25 people left I was moved to another table, which had a big stacked @k9dr @kirchhausen @HDK @MikesDad and @shleepytime amongst others. For the first few orbits I was card dead, then I hit a couple big hands and started abusing the table. Was able to 3-bet my brother a couple times and amass a few chips, then 3 bet Jimmy-jammed @MikesDad button raise with KTss from the small blind, and a short stack @HDK called it off with a bunch of dead money in the pot from the big blind with 43ss. @MikesDad folded AJss, and I proceeded to hold and knock out @HDK for my fourth bounty (I would have binked against @MikesDad had he called). (an aside, meeting @HDK was one of the highlights of my trip. What a freaking hilarious dude). Then the tables got merged again down to 20 players, and @Mrs Poker Zombie got moved to my left. Got her for my 5th bounty with AJ > QQ AIPF for 40k with the Barry Greenstein, and then ran my AA into @MikesDad KK for my 6th bounty. Had to tank and make a big fold with KK against @Gear on a TTxx board when I got check-raised all-in on the turn, and @Gear was nice enough to show me the ten.

Still had a pretty big stack going to the final table, which was a good tough group. @georgiakurt was on my right, which was nice, because he had been abusing me on my left almost all tourney long :) @bivey @Gear @k9dr @DNeyer @shleepytime and locals Max (his third final table in four years) and Kacey were there with stacks of varying sizes, and made for an interesting dynamic. I think Kacey was out in 9th, when I shoved effective 69k from the SB with Q7o, and she called it off with A9ss (4k/8k blinds). She was shocked when I turned over my hand, and not too happy when I flopped two pair and had her drawing dead on the turn :coffee:. I believe @georgiakurt was out next, he just had a very small stack relative to the blinds. Next out was @shleepytime @k9dr raised UTG to 25k, then Shleepy went all-in for 54k. I looked down from the bb and saw AQ, and re-shoved, putting Mark to the test. He still had about 120 or 130k behind, and I had him well covered, so he tank-folded. Shleepy turned over KTo, and I didn't improve, but held. Mark would have flopped a set, but thankfully for me he waited for a better spot, and my stack was up to about 400k. Mark busted out next (running into @DNeyer's AA I believe, and we were down to 5. @Gear was short stacked at about 80k when I think Max doubled up off of him, and went out shortly after. After this, Max proposed a chop. Blinds were at 10k/20k, and I was short stacked at about 200k or so, so I was cool with it, since 4th paid $350 and first paid $1315. We decided to chop evenly at $700 a piece, and play for the remaining $285 plus the trophy. I shove my QT into Bert's A9 sooted, and though I flopped open-ended, couldn't improve and was out in fourth. I didn't see what happened next, but I know Bert knocked out Max in 3rd when they had exactly the same amount of chips, giving him a commanding lead over Dneyer. Bert took home the trophy shortly thereafter, for the win and bragging rights. I thought he played great and it was a well-deserved victory. Really though, I don't think there was a single donk at the final table, everyone there was playing at a pretty high level. I especially enjoyed playing with Bert, who I played with almost all day, and Kurt and Gear who were at my end of the table, and I had some good conversations with. Super nice guys. Also, thanks to The Zombies for dealing, and basically making the tournament run so smoothly. I'm sure it made Tom's life much easier, and know that it was appreciated.

After that, it was time to donk off a buy-in on Tom's awesome Hitching Post cash set (still my favorite of all time, its a shame I keep running deep in these tournaments, as I don't get enough cash time with this set). Then we headed back to the hotel around 2, so we could make our 10:00 am flight the next morning.

Thanks again to Tom for his great hosting job, and it was great seeing old friends, and meeting new ones. We truly do have a wonderful community. Also, @Redbelly you were missed, as was Phil and some guy named Dean or Don that everyone said is this really cool guy, but I'm not really sure if I ever met, but if he's the guy I'm thinking of he's kind of an ass.

P.S. Thanks Tom for my new favorite hoodie, it is very soft and comfortable.

MikesDad

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Chippy McChiperson 's post reminds me to mention meeting @HDK... Like most I thought he was figment of @bergs imagination, but low and behold there he was in the flesh
We played together in the main event at two different tables.

It was fun to hear the stories about the evolution of his nickname

A pleasure to meet a great guy, who, like Chippy said is funny as hell... hope to see you again HDK

Top Bottom