Shipping to Europe (1 Viewer)

drix

Sitting Out
Reaction score
A question to my fellow europeans, when buying from the classifieds did you already had problems with the shipping? What would be the best option for sending chips to Europe?

I'm still quite new to this and only ordered a couple of time to the Chip Room and never had problems so far. Just some delay, but that's normal. I'm seeing threads stating that they would ship to Europe at the buyer's risk. How much of a risk are we talking about?

Ive had 30+ packages shipped over the last few years, both to the UK and Denmark, the majority shipped via USPS without problem. During the initial covid wave there were majors delays (months+) but everything turned up. I think "shipped at buyers risk" is just a general clause people use to in case something goes missing.

There are a lot of european members on PCF who ship regularly transatlantic.

Saying "shipping at buyers risk" is on my opinion non sense. How should this work? Not the buyer made a contract with USPS or what ever delivery service but the seller. Normaly packages should have a tracking number and have an insurance. In case the package get lost the seller can refund the value and give the buyer his money back. Thats it.

100+ transactions in 15+ Years. 2 parcels lost. One from the matsui wsop group buy (full loss on me), other from Palm Gaming, Joe did resend without any discussions. 1 time scammed out of money, guy went silent.
It‘s not that it can‘t happen, but odds are low. The buyers risk in my opinion is meant, that seller will help to recoup any losses via usps insurance, but not hold liable if it‘s not sufficient. That‘s what I would do, when shipping international

There are a lot of european members on PCF who ship regularly transatlantic.

Saying "shipping at buyers risk" is on my opinion non sense. How should this work? Not the buyer made a contract with USPS or what ever delivery service but the seller. Normaly packages should have a tracking number and have an insurance. In case the package get lost the seller can refund the value and give the buyer his money back. Thats it.
Except in this scenario the seller is left without both chips and money so it’s not exactly as if everyone’s made whole. Unfortunately US chippers have almost a monopoly on chip purchases and sales so many decide if a non-US (maybe North American is more accurate) chipper wants the chips, why take on the additional paperwork (it can sometimes be a lot more in comparison with CONUS shipping) and risk (there is more risk, debatable on how much) of shipping abroad when there’s very likely a CONUS chipper willing to buy them.

FWIW I ship internationally and act as a reshipper to help out non-US chippers. Not saying passing on all risks is right but just noting there are reasons some feel that’s the only way they’ll ship. Also note, this may not mean they won’t try to help process lost/damage claims either since they as the shipper are the only ones who can do that.

As a fellow german chipper:
I made some friends on this site and one of them offered to be my reshipper, meaning I would buy chips on the classifieds and put his adress down for the seller to ship to.
When I accumulated enough chips for a MFR Box (around 600) he would ship them all in said box to me. This safes a lot on shipping costs and is the best solution long term.

So far the only package of mine that has gone missing was sent from a US adress to another US adress. I've had around 10 international shipments and all of them arrived without any problems whatsoever except for one delay (germany to the US) last year due to covid.

Thanks for the clarification. And it's really good to know that in the large majority of the cases everything works fine. Now I understand that sending chips to Europe is more complicated and some chipper may not want the extra work. I'm fine with that.

I did just buy some chips on the classifieds for around $300, the shipment has a $200 dollar insurance so in the unlikely case the package gets lost I'd lose $100 I guess. The details about how this is going to be dealt with depends on the buyer and seller for sure, but I trust this community for things to go smooth in most of the cases.

Except in this scenario the seller is left without both chips and money so it’s not exactly as if everyone’s made whole. Unfortunately US chippers have almost a monopoly on chip purchases and sales so many decide if a non-US (maybe North American is more accurate) chipper wants the chips, why take on the additional paperwork (it can sometimes be a lot more in comparison with CONUS shipping) and risk (there is more risk, debatable on how much) of shipping abroad when there’s very likely a CONUS chipper willing to buy them.

FWIW I ship internationally and act as a reshipper to help out non-US chippers. Not saying passing on all risks is right but just noting there are reasons some feel that’s the only way they’ll ship. Also note, this may not mean they won’t try to help process lost/damage claims either since they as the shipper are the only ones who can do that.
This is accurate and fair. As a member who benefits/relies on a US reshipper to help piece together sets ;) I would never pass responsibility onto them in the case of a missing parcel. @drix, Its ultimately up to me to declare and to pay for insurance if I chose. If I don't, and something goes missing, thats on me and the shipping carrier. So I personally have no problem with sellers stating this upfront in a sale.

The whole insurance thing doesn't work international....unless you don't mind bleeding a fortune at customs.

If you buy international, your first risk assessment is the courier (USPS or premium)
Second is insurance...like said, you get taxed based on insurance value so premium sets are out of the question unless you want to pay 35% on top.
Third, how could I expect a seller to refund a sale that went sour and was not/under insured on my request....I'm just happy they want to ship and expect the risk to be with me.

Since I have an awsome reshipper...none of the above is still an issue for me

I use Myus.com as reshipper.
All 4 deliveries from this year reached me after 14 days.
Shipping cheapest offer with Yun express or so, for a few bucks.
No customs. (all under 100$ value)
Today i got my "Park Place" sample.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom