Shipping small amounts of chips; advice (2 Viewers)

mathewsarcher83

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hi all,

Finally got my two chips which took a while from L.A. Kind of odd as I was expecting a small envelope that was maybe misplaced (I thought perhaps the chips may have slipped between a conveyor belt, slide, etc). Nope, a large envelope that was just delayed by USPS. But all’s well that ends well....

this brings me to my question: what is your practice when it comes to selling and shipping a small quantity of chips that weigh very little (let’s say 1-10, 10g chips). My package was an oversized envelope, with a lot of padding wrapped around my items. Though I appreciate safe packing, I wondered if it was overkill and whether you all package similarly or differently.

I have some singles I might want to pass along one day in a sale but wasn’t sure how you package up a chip or two and what domestic costs are (usually threads say “+shipping” without listing it for singles...

Ryan
94B6990C-09A2-47BA-AA21-352A61EBBF4F.jpeg

Smallest bubble mailer I can find with the chipes bubble wrapped before being put into the mailer.

Tape the mailer closed for an extra level of protection and voila!

For singles or doubles, I’ve used 3 pieces of cardboard, cut to the size of a padded envelope. Cut a chip-sized hole in the middle of one piece of cardboard. Place chip in a small baggie and place into the hole, then the other two pieces of cardboard on either side. Tape it up and shove in a padded envelope.
The recipient will appreciate the extra effort.
Fist class through the USPS should be around 3 bucks

Last edited:
^^ this ^^

But use tape to secure chips to one side

Yeah sorry I thought that was a given. I actually don’t like to tape the chips directly but I will tape around the whole cardboard sandwhich. Or wrap the chips in plastic wrap and tape that.

Do people actually apply tape across chips themselves?

Your seller used USPS First Class. Anything 4oz or less is the same price, so no reason not to go overboard with the padding.

Two pieces of cardboard sandwiching up to six chips (three pieces if double-stacking up to 12 chips) in a size 00 bubble mailer envelope. Around $4 for CONUS First Class postage. I tape the entire outside surface of the bubble mailer to help prevent punctures and tears.

Two pieces of cardboard sandwiching up to six chips (three pieces if double-stacking up to 12 chips) in a size 00 bubble mailer envelope. Around $4 for CONUS First Class postage. I tape the entire outside surface of the bubble mailer to help prevent punctures and tears.
You ever catch flack for that high tape?

Loose chips, too -- no cardboard or single package inside to help prevent escape.

Surprisingly, all five chips made it. After the package ripped, USPS put it into a clear plastic sleeve..... and then left it open at one end. :confused

Loose chips, too -- no cardboard or single package inside to help prevent escape.

Surprisingly, all five chips made it. After the package ripped, USPS put it into a clear plastic sleeve..... and then left it open at one end. :confused
Oh - I thought it arrived empty.

Everyone seems to be set on bubble mailers but I feel like it depends on the chip type. Like what's supposed to happen to 14g china clays or ceramics in a normal letter envelope taped to a piece of cardboard?

See this thread:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...p-in-small-padded-envelope.44011/#post-819396

1, 2, or 3 (maybe 4) chips, which should be below the weight limit for an envelope, can be sent for 70 cents in a normal envelope using a Non Machineable Surcharge stamp (I think the 70 cents is good up to 2 ounces, plus additional postage for additional ounce), and writing "non-machineable" or "non-machineable surcharge paid" at the top of the outside of the envelope doesn't hurt.

(Note: I would not necessarily advise sending super valuable individual chips this way. Those are worth the additional cost of a padded envelope).

Chips can be sandwiched between thin cardboard, like a cereal box, stapled the cardboard together around the chip to hold it in place, and dropped in the envelope. I sometimes fold a sheet of paper like a letter around the cardboard.

I've taken chips like this to the counter, and the USPS person has charged "package" rates and not allowed the use of the Butterfly Stamp ('they say it's for letters & cards only'), but I've shipped chips like this and use the Butterfly Stamp, I just dropped the envelope off in the post office mailslot and the chips have always gotten there.

See this thread:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...p-in-small-padded-envelope.44011/#post-819396

1, 2, or 3 (maybe 4) chips, which should be below the weight limit for an envelope, can be sent for 70 cents in a normal envelope using a Non Machineable Surcharge stamp (I think the 70 cents is good up to 2 ounces, plus additional postage for additional ounce), and writing "non-machineable" or "non-machineable surcharge paid" at the top of the outside of the envelope doesn't hurt.

(Note: I would not necessarily advise sending super valuable individual chips this way. Those are worth the additional cost of a padded envelope).

Chips can be sandwiched between thin cardboard, like a cereal box, stapled the cardboard together around the chip to hold it in place, and dropped in the envelope. I sometimes fold a sheet of paper like a letter around the cardboard.

I've taken chips like this to the counter, and the USPS person has charged "package" rates and not allowed the use of the Butterfly Stamp ('they say it's for letters & cards only'), but I've shipped chips like this and use the Butterfly Stamp, I just dropped the envelope off in the post office mailslot and the chips have always gotten there.
I have flat out give them up on shipping chips in a business envelope for cheap. Some post office people say it isn’t allowed - so I charge the buyer 70 cents, then the post office makes me pay three-something. I’m not going to go back and ask a buyer for more, after they’ve paid the price I quoted.
And besides, I’ve had chips break this way.
Nope, I’m only shipping chips in small padded mailers for three-something.

For what its worth I just received a ton of single chips from different sellers. Most were small bubble mailers, but many were sent in standard letter envelopes with standard stamp postage. They were either sandwiched between thin pieces of cardboard, business cards, or in those common collector plastic pockets. Honestly, they felt pretty secure and safe. I think the most I had in a single letter envelope was 3 (next to each other not stacked) chips. For inexpensive chips this seems like it is worth the risk because you probably save $3.

For what its worth I just received a ton of single chips from different sellers. Most were small bubble mailers, but many were sent in standard letter envelopes with standard stamp postage. They were either sandwiched between thin pieces of cardboard, business cards, or in those common collector plastic pockets. Honestly, they felt pretty secure and safe. I think the most I had in a single letter envelope was 3 (next to each other not stacked) chips. For inexpensive chips this seems like it is worth the risk because you probably save $3.
This is what I have received in the past as well.

It works until it doesn't. Then all the savings -- plus chips -- are lost.

At the request of a PCFer, I taped 10 chips to cardboard and shipped in a plain letter envelope with stamps. It did make it. It’s also worked for other shipments with less chips. YRMV!

(I prefer shipping anything less than a pound wrapped in plastic wrap, then in a baggie, then with cardboard in a bubble mailer, well-sealed and tracked via 1st Class USPS.)

30D20783-CDA3-4951-A7A5-A05797C67303.jpeg
E6A8F691-7782-4C9A-8C50-6786C736D414.jpeg

I use the similar cardboard method if shipping sample sets. If I’m shipping about a barrel of chips, I use the overlap method.

1. Grab a ziploc bag and add the barrel of chips by dropping the whole barrel on its side still stacked.

2. Fan out the barrel of chips so they are as flat as possible while using the whole length of the bottom of the ziploc bag.

3. Wrap the excess of the ziploc bag around the chips and add tape all around securing them as tight as possible so there is no chip movement.

4. Add this to the bubble mailer (6x9) as is or if you feel so inclined, wrap the chips in some additional bubble wrap if there is room in the envelope.

5. Tape the outside of the bubble mailer and ship for approx $3.50.

4533C570-3EA5-4AF3-B987-F74CCCE20254.jpeg
3996D21D-B57B-4934-937D-87715DA36DB2.jpeg
2E9F8889-B6E8-4A97-8704-C04292C90358.jpeg
F021C1DC-7F78-4C91-A666-E6F2D01C9B2D.png

At the request of a PCFer, I taped 10 chips to cardboard and shipped in a plain letter envelope with stamps. It did make it. It’s also worked for other shipments with less chips. YRMV!

(I prefer shipping anything less than a pound wrapped in plastic wrap, then in a baggie, then with cardboard in a bubble mailer, well-sealed and tracked via 1st Class USPS.)

View attachment 523291View attachment 523292
Just curious to know @BirdCage, do u recall how many stamps were used to mail the 10 chips?
That's pretty amazing... I never imagined 10 chips could fit inside a plain letter size envelope!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom