Sharp edges with excess material? (1 Viewer)

Slavioso

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently bought these poker chips from this American seller (I am based in the UK) and they are China clay composites. They arrived today and the edges are sharp and have a lot of excess material which isn’t great.

I am wondering if this is a common theme with China clay composites, or have I been dealt an unlucky set of chips. Also is there a way to get rid of this without damaging the chips?

I have been playing for a few years at basic level and this is my first set of “nice” chips, I like smooth chips that sit well.

I’ve attached a photo to show you what I mean.

Thank you

Attachments

• 7A9B67C1-9DBB-46A6-AC6C-12CF53FE49A9.jpeg
    7A9B67C1-9DBB-46A6-AC6C-12CF53FE49A9.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 404
Those don't seem like china clays; those look like 13g hard plastic slugged chips. And, no, that crap on the edges is not supposed to be there.

Those are injected molded plastic slugged chips not china clay. Quality is about what is expect for that chip. We can recommend lots of other options for you depending on budget.

like said above those are not what we consider chian clay, those are ABS chips with a slug.

Excess material on those is not unheard of. rub them on any rough material like demin it should smooth it some

Last edited:
You can use a green dish scrubber (brillo pad?) and it'll clear off all the flashing. It'll also actually give the edges a nice texture after doing so as well.

Those don't seem like china clays; those look like 13g hard plastic slugged chips. And, no, that crap on the edges is not supposed to be there.
fair point, might have been had here!

Those are injected molded plastic slugged chips not china clay. Quality is about what is expect for that chip. We can recommend lots of other options for you depending on budget.
budget wise, well i spend $200 for this 1000 set which is what i'm really after, guess the false advertisement of the clay chips is not ideal at all!

The oh so familiar flash from injection molded plastic sluggos. Is it supposed to be there? No. Is it there (on every chip from every manufacturer)? Yes. I don't know where you would get this thing in the UK, but I always used a 2000 grit wet sanding block from the auto parts store to get rid of that. https://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-...0-waterproof-sanding-block/454947_0?rrec=true
Wouldn't this just wear the edges down and start discolouring the edges? or is 2000 grit alright? as if i do keep them i would like to keep them as nice as possible.

Wouldn't this just wear the edges down and start discolouring the edges? or is 2000 grit alright? as if i do keep them i would like to keep them as nice as possible.
It is what I used on 3000 Claysmith sluggos - I think the 2000 grit is too fine to do real damage. That flash comes off easily but the rest of the chip is solid

20c chips are almost assuredly cheap injection-molded plastic, usually molded around a metal slug for extra weight, and manufactured in China with no post-production clean-up or finishing (hence the excessive plastic flashing, which is not found on high-end plastic chips -- which are ground, machined, and/or polished afterwards, and cost 5x to 10x as much as cheap plastic chips).

Like most things in life..... with gaming chips, you get what you pay for. Quality costs money.

20c chips are almost assuredly cheap injection-molded plastic, usually molded around a metal slug for extra weight, and manufactured in China with no post-production clean-up or finishing (hence the excessive plastic flashing, which is not found on high-end plastic chips -- which are ground, machined, and/or polished afterwards, and cost 5x to 10x as much as cheap plastic chips).

Like most things in life..... with gaming chips, you get what you pay for. Quality costs money.
Thank you for clearing it up very well for me, do you have any suggestion as to what chips to buy for a 1000 set? Or places to shop around?

do you have any suggestion as to what chips to buy for a 1000 set? Or places to shop around?
First question I would ask is, why do you think that you need 1,000 chips? Most people don't need a set that large, which means their overall chip budget can actually afford 'better' chips, since they don't really require as many as they initially think.

A well-constructed 400-chip set can cover a 10-player single-table event (although it can be done with as few as 300 chips), and a 600-chip set is usually plenty for most cash games up to 10 players (and many can get by with as few as 400-500 chips of the right denominations).

Determine the breakdown you need to run the game(s) you wish to host, how much you are willing to spend (total), and proceed from there.

There are plenty of threads with set breakdown advice on the forum, or ask questions regarding your specific circumstances to get best-practices breakdown advice on your proposed set.

Agreed if your budget is tight raelly figure out what you properly need before buying anything. Uness you run 2 table tournaments and a cash game you likely don't need 1000 chips. As nice as it is to have a larger set a quality smaller set is better than a bigger cheaper set.

Take a look at the classified ads on here to get an idea of what’s available and what the cost is.
You’ll see lots of different types (clay, China clay, ceramic, plastic) and probably find a few that you would like to have. Then you can spend your time trying to hunt them down.
if you’re playing with up to 10 players 400 to 500 chips will be enough.
I’m in the UK as well so pm me if you have any questions about how to ship them over here etc.

First question I would ask is, why do you think that you need 1,000 chips? Most people don't need a set that large, which means their overall chip budget can actually afford 'better' chips, since they don't really require as many as they initially think.

A well-constructed 400-chip set can cover a 10-player single-table event (although it can be done with as few as 300 chips), and a 600-chip set is usually plenty for most cash games up to 10 players (and many can get by with as few as 400-500 chips of the right denominations).

Determine the breakdown you need to run the game(s) you wish to host, how much you are willing to spend (total), and proceed from there.

There are plenty of threads with set breakdown advice on the forum, or ask questions regarding your specific circumstances to get best-practices breakdown advice on your proposed set.
I have a 500 chip set, however recently started getting into MTT and cash games, so wanted to acquire a set of chips that can accommodate for those needs.

However I have not know that you can construct a 10 player tournament with 300 chips, always been playing with nearly 500 on the table for a standard 9 person event.

I'll be sure to check some threads about hosting tournaments and buying chips as i do need to research a bit more it seems. Again thank you for your help!

Bumping this thread because I've run into a similar flashing issue with Claysmith triangle and stick mold chips.

Fine grit sand paper worked (think i was using 600 or 800), but i've found that the non-scratch Scotch Brite pads do a really good job as well, and are a bit less likely to scuff the chips. I've been using the blue ones, but the greens should work as well

Attachments

• 1609901397991.png
    1609901397991.png
    354.9 KB · Views: 116
Hello all,

I recently bought these poker chips from this American seller (I am based in the UK) and they are China clay composites. They arrived today and the edges are sharp and have a lot of excess material which isn’t great.

I am wondering if this is a common theme with China clay composites, or have I been dealt an unlucky set of chips. Also is there a way to get rid of this without damaging the chips?

I have been playing for a few years at basic level and this is my first set of “nice” chips, I like smooth chips that sit well.

I’ve attached a photo to show you what I mean.

Thank you
I too have this problem, recently purchased about £300 worth from the states. Frustrating as I have around 3000 pieces of these chips, bought loads a few years ago from squirrel poker and they’re an awesome chip. Got amazing set up for both tournament and cash and recently bought like another 300 pieces of $5 chips like in your image, they’re terrible. I won’t use them. How did you proceed with yours mate?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom