Sharp edges on china clays? (1 Viewer)

xdan

Flush
Reaction score
Does anyone know the reason why China clays haven’t been produced with sharp edges?

I’m sure people have tried (Apache) but so we know why it’s been unsuccessful?

That's a really good question! I ordered a set of Majestics for myselft. Personally I dont mind the rounded edges but sharp edges would be really cool :D
Maybe it's more expensive to produce chips with sharp edges?

The sharp edges on compression clays and some high-end plastics are created by subsequent machining operations after creation, not from the mold design.

Machining china clays is certainly possible (a few very early examples did have sharp edges), but it's not cost-effective to add an expensive post-production finishing step to a product that costs just pennies to produce.

The sharp edges on compression clays and some high-end plastics are created by subsequent machining operations after creation, not from the mold design.

Machining china clays is certainly possible (a few very early examples did have sharp edges), but it's not cost-effective to add an expensive post-production finishing step to a product that costs just pennies to produce.

Is the post-mold machining what produces the sort of ‘ridges’ on the rolling edge of some chips?

Some, like CPS, were ordered specifically with beveled edges. They typically make what you ask them to. They have no problem passing the extra cost on.
Somebody that actually orders clay chips from China in our current lifetime might be a better resource.

Some, like CPS, were ordered specifically with beveled edges. They typically make what you ask them to. They have no problem passing the extra cost on.
Somebody that actually orders clay chips from China in our current lifetime might be a better resource.

Wouldn't @Apache have some insight into this?

Thanks for the info guys.

There is someone in Australia looking to design their own chinese clays, like Apache did with majestic and royals.

I mentioned sharp edges would be a win, but didn’t know the ins and outs.

Thanks for the info guys.

There is someone in Australia looking to design their own chinese clays, like Apache did with majestic and royals.

I mentioned sharp edges would be a win, but didn’t know the ins and outs.

I would recommend custom ceramics over custom China Clays. But you probably won't get particularly sharp edge ceramics, either. At least not for cheap.

Incorrect -- the CPS chips were not specifically ordered with beveled edges. The manufacturer created the molds with cross-hatching (at our request), but the beveled edges were not part of our submitted design.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom