Set #3: River Ratz (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Still a ways off before ordering but been working on a new set. Waiting to reach out to J5 until I'm done with the color combos and edge spots but I'm pretty sure this will be the final set ($1, $5, $25, $100). I'll post updates/artwork once I connect with J5.

As always, suggestions & constructive feedback welcome.

Edit: Going with E&C for the mold. I thought it'd be a nice touch/funny per the myth that elephants are afraid of mice.

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 10.14.16 PM.png

Great colors!

You may want to check with another designer. @p5woody and @Quicksilver-75 are both great.

When I reached out to J5 he said he has about a 1 year back log worth of chip design work and wasn't taking on new projects at that time. That was about 3 months ago, so there is a possibility he is more caught up.

I suggest you open it up for samples :)

On a more serious note, from a functional perspective I always have concerns when Tiger and DG Pink are next to each other as the colors can appear pretty similar in sub-optimal light. Yours are *probably* okay with the chosen spots, but just to be sure I'd go with the more traditional placement of the spots on the Tiger chip so that there's less of a gap between them at the 12 and 6 positions. That's the only feedback I have from an objective standpoint.

Subjectively, I think the spot progression works better if the 414 is on the pink and the 2D14 is on the blue.

I always enjoy your sets, mate...looking forward to where this one ends up!

Great colors!

You may want to check with another designer. @p5woody and @Quicksilver-75 are both great.

When I reached out to J5 he said he has about a 1 year back log worth of chip design work and wasn't taking on new projects at that time. That was about 3 months ago, so there is a possibility he is more caught up.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm at least 6 mos out from even placing the order (since the E&C mold isn't going to be back until around then). I'll still probably hit him up since I've worked with him on my first 2 sets but will definitely keep @p5woody & @Quicksilver-75 in mind! I've seen some of their work and I agree, they're both great.

I suggest you open it up for samples :)

On a more serious note, from a functional perspective I always have concerns when Tiger and DG Pink are next to each other as the colors can appear pretty similar in sub-optimal light. Yours are *probably* okay with the chosen spots, but just to be sure I'd go with the more traditional placement of the spots on the Tiger chip so that there's less of a gap between them at the 12 and 6 positions. That's the only feedback I have from an objective standpoint.

Subjectively, I think the spot progression works better if the 414 is on the pink and the 2D14 is on the blue.

I always enjoy your sets, mate...looking forward to where this one ends up!

Haha -- I'll definitely open it up to sample sets before ordering (y) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I thought about the DG Pink/Tiger being close in color but at my home game, I'll always have good lighting so I'm not as worried about it but thanks for pointing it out.

I kind of like the gap at the 12 and 6 positions though so I might stick with that or go with 4D18...not sure.

The 414 is a level 2 though and the 2D14 is a level 3 so that's why I have it set up like that.

Thanks! I had that at one point in my many mock-up attempts and may go back to it...I'll have to keep playing around with them. I guess my mind wasn't as set as I thought it was lol :D

Last edited:
I haven't found too many white $1s that I like...I like the non-traditional, and bright colors....in case you couldn't tell lol.

I like the non-traditional, and bright colors....in case you couldn't tell lol.

c37a6cc5f88867e5387b8787aaf67afc350b3f37f357ed0a3088241488063bce.jpg

In addition to the obverse/reverse, I always consider what the rolling edges look like in stacks... after all, that's what you see most often. IMO (and YMMV), that's why I don't like the 618 spots on the yellow chip. I'd like them a whole lot better if they were 614.

I haven't found too many white $1s that I like...

GrTljj5.png

I think the $25 needs a second egdespot color. Two tone chip seems a bit out of place when surrounded by 3 and 4 color chips.

I actually had that exact chip designed but with bright white and it just didn't do it for me.

I think the $25 needs a second egdespot color. Two tone chip seems a bit out of place when surrounded by 3 and 4 color chips.
It's got a 2nd edge spot color :) There's DG Yellow and butterscotch. I originally had it as a 3V12 with color 1 as yellow and 2 as butterscotch. Looked sharp but my $25 on my 2nd set has the same design and I didn't want to repeat it. And then on top of that, I want to use DG Saturn for the hundo and there wouldn't be enough contrast w/the chips. I tried using retro violet for the hundo but didn't find a color and edge spot combo that I liked.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 8.42.34 PM.png

Here's the latest set mock-up, too.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 8.33.11 PM.png

Thanks...I had that as one of my mock-ups, too. I just really love the peacock and white combo...I forget who but someone here has a similar chip that they posted pics of and to me it looks so damn sharp.

Love the bright colours you're going with! Do you have recent colour samples from CPC? I ask only because DG Saturn, although bright when viewing via the CDT, is not as bright as the rest of the lineup. If it's bright you're after then DG Yellow might be the better option. Regardless, I can't wait to see the outcome! Your hands are gonna glow after you play with them!:D

I don't think you go wrong here. Heck, just look at the Paris $1...it's a hot commodity for a reason, and the peacock/white combo is even sharper contrast than that! A fine chip, IMO.

Thanks. Yeah, I knew I'd end up ordering another set once CPC announced the DG Peacock lol. I think that's the chip I'm most excited to see the final product of.

Love the bright colours you're going with! Do you have recent colour samples from CPC? I ask only because DG Saturn, although bright when viewing via the CDT, is not as bright as the rest of the lineup. If it's bright you're after then DG Yellow might be the better option. Regardless, I can't wait to see the outcome! Your hands are gonna glow after you play with them!:D

Thanks! Yeah, thanks - I just ordered another sample set last month bc the one I had was a few years old. I'm using the DG Yellow on the $25 so wanted a different shade for the hundo. I do like bright but I also love the deeper shade of yellow that you get with the Saturn.

Thanks. Yeah, I knew I'd end up ordering another set once CPC announced the DG Peacock lol. I think that's the chip I'm most excited to see the final product of.

Thanks! Yeah, thanks - I just ordered another sample set last month bc the one I had was a few years old. I'm using the DG Yellow on the $25 so wanted a different shade for the hundo. I do like bright but I also love the deeper shade of yellow that you get with the Saturn.
I've got an inlaid scroll mold color sample from when those first came out maybe 2 yrs ago and for DG pink and DG Green are way brighter now and pretty sure DG yellow is as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom