Semi custom DDLM color advice (1 Viewer)

rxed

Pair
Reaction score
I'm getting 43mm DDLM micro tournament set and had everything planned then my wife told me the yellow may not be a good idea with some family due to the image.

So I'm rethinking the colors.

We like the pink, purple, blue, and orange. Could add black, but was thinking of using that as a bounty chip.

Denoms would would be .05, .25, 1 (likely blue) and 5 with a $13 chip (was going to be orange) and the yellow plaques.

Pictures of DDLM at https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-49f6-a324-5d1eb38cce8a_540x.png?v=1582672273

Interested in advice. My wife likes the orange chips, so may do a $13 red. Have red green weak people in the family, so want to avoid red and green on the table at the same time.

Last edited:
First of all, 43mm is the way to go with those DDLM! I use the orange as my show em chip. Others have used black as bounty, but I made mine a $20.

If you've already decided on your denominations, then it's really a matter of the artwork that you like the most. For example, in my set, I wasn't too fond of the green chip. So I didn't make a space for it.

If the yellow chip is clearly out then I would say the following would be cool:

.05 white (or pink)
.25 purple
$1 blue
$5 red
$13 orange

$13?

I would do

black .05
pink .25
blue $1
red $5
green $13

I would worry the red and orange are to close.

the yellow may not be a good idea with some family due to the image.
and the yellow plaques.
The yellow plaques have the same image as the yellow chips, just more of them. I'd run it past the wife first. There are two plaque designs, though.
I'm getting 43mm DDLM micro tournament set
Are you sure you want those denoms for a tournament set? It's of course doable, but a bit unusual.

black .05
pink .25
blue $1
red $5
green $13

To be honest, I'd worry much more about the red and pink than the red and orange.

$13?

I would do

black .05
pink .25
blue $1
red $5
green $13

Red and orange are not close. also, one advantage of the DDLM is that they each have a unique rolling edge pattern which also helps with dirty stacks...

@rxed once you decide on the artwork that you really like and what you're going to use in your stacks, I can put together some examples of what those stacks would look like including some dirty stack possibilities.

@Mr Winberg The plaques wouldn't come out often and there would be far fewer, so not as big of a problem. It's not an absolute ban, just a "Family won't want to be looking at that picture the whole game" comment.

Unfortunately, the other plaques are less desirable due to the guns in the image (and I like the yellow more anyway).

My original plan was yellow or pink nickel, purple quarter, blue 1, and pink or yellow 5. I was going to add the orange 13 (and a green 25 for more serious games) with no denomination on the plaques to have them worth 4x the highest chip and be equal to the buy in, so only used for rebuys, if we have rebuys.

My wife really likes the orange chip so I was considering getting it back into the real lineup.

I debated going closer to a traditional cali color scheme with the blue one, yellow five, and a black 20, but that black chip like enough like a someone ferrying someone across the river styx that I liked the idea of it as a bounty. A purple 25 wouldn't make it in the table often and it's my wife's favorite cup (followed by the orange).

Red and orange are not close. also, one advantage of the DDLM is that they each have a unique rolling edge pattern which also helps with dirty stacks...

@rxed once you decide on the artwork that you really like and what you're going to use in your stacks, I can put together some examples of what those stacks would look like including some dirty stack possibilities.
Are there any combinations you would be scared of dirty stacks with?

Do I understand correctly that you want to be hosting tournaments, but you want the starting stack to match the buy-in instead of a more traditional starting stack of for example 10,000?
I'd say pink and red, but that wasn't part of your original suggestion. Maaaaybe pink and purple if the lighting is bad? Or not...

it's possible that pink and purple could have problems together... If the lighting was just right. but honestly the different edge spots really do help here. Here are some examples of dirty stacks that you think would be possible that really aren't:

16053883428278065671924863708614.jpg

Do I understand correctly that you want to be hosting tournaments, but you want the starting stack to match the buy-in instead of a more traditional starting stack of for example 10,000?

I'd say pink and red, but that wasn't part of your original suggestion. Maaaaybe pink and purple if the lighting is bad? Or not...
Correct. Starting stack would ideally equal buyin so we could do tournaments that let the last few people just cash out if it's there's a time crunch. This set would be used for games with close friends or family.
So .05/.05 would have a $10 buyin, .05/.1 would be $20, .25/.25 would be $50 (assuming 200BBs), etc.

It's not absolutely necessary, but would be nice.

I think I may do it as a T5 or T25 base depending on the night and just convert to pennies (so T500 would be $5) with a T2000 plaque instead of T1000, similar to what you talked about in this post. Maybe 16/16/12/1 instead of 20/20/16 so I could have two racks each instead of needing 250 of the 100s and 500s. Alternatively, it would mean I get to buy more chips...

My wife told me tonight that she was fine with the yellow, but I'll probably just do the plaques.

Leaning toward:
T5 - Pink x 100
T25 - Orange x 200
T100 - Blue x 200
T500 - Purple x 200
T2000 - Yellow plaque x 20 (plaques for bling. Wife is ok -not excited, but ok- with yellow all of a sudden tonight.)

With 47mm red labeled $13 (for all in/show em) and
47mm black bounty chips.

Pink and purple (possible dirty stacks) wouldn't be on the table together frequently but I'm still hitting our most liked designs/colors. And I'd avoid problems with red/green colorblind players in my family completely.

@BearMetal - Thoughts on the above?

Correct. Starting stack would ideally equal buyin so we could do tournaments that let the last few people just cash out if it's there's a time crunch. This set would be used for games with close friends or family.
So .05/.05 would have a $10 buyin, .05/.1 would be $20, .25/.25 would be $50 (assuming 200BBs), etc.

It's not absolutely necessary, but would be nice.

I think I may do it as a T5 or T25 base depending on the night and just convert to pennies (so T500 would be $5) with a T2000 plaque instead of T1000, similar to what you talked about in this post. Maybe 16/16/12/1 instead of 20/20/16 so I could have two racks each instead of needing 250 of the 100s and 500s. Alternatively, it would mean I get to buy more chips...

My wife told me tonight that she was fine with the yellow, but I'll probably just do the plaques.

Leaning toward:
T5 - Pink x 100
T25 - Orange x 200
T100 - Blue x 200
T500 - Purple x 200
T2000 - Yellow plaque x 20 (plaques for bling. Wife is ok -not excited, but ok- with yellow all of a sudden tonight.)

With 47mm red labeled $13 (for all in/show em) and
47mm black bounty chips.

Pink and purple (possible dirty stacks) wouldn't be on the table together frequently but I'm still hitting our most liked designs/colors. And I'd avoid problems with red/green colorblind players in my family completely.

@BearMetal - Thoughts on the above?
Seems like you know what you want! That's great... I don't see any problem with what you've proposed. Again, with the DDLM, I think you're pretty safe to choose whatever artwork you like best.

With a semi custom job, I recommend getting a few extras of each...in case any go missing or get damaged. It may me just me, but I always want to have even amounts of chips in the racks...99 chips in a rack would tilt me!
Also, it’s not necessary to buy in 25 chip increments, just order AT LEAST 25 chips of each denom.

With a semi custom job, I recommend getting a few extras of each...in case any go missing or get damaged. It may me just me, but I always want to have even amounts of chips in the racks...99 chips in a rack would tilt me!
Also, it’s not necessary to buy in 25 chip increments, just order AT LEAST 25 chips of each denom.
Thanks!

I listed the numbers that will put in use, but I will buy an extra 5 of each of the main chips. The minimum of 25 of the others gives me plenty of extras for the others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom