Seeking advise from experienced table builders (1 Viewer)

This is what I used for my table. I went cheap because I will be replacing with a custom cloth so it's only designed to be temporary. However, it works fine and was very cheap. Get 3 yards - $21. Stalwart Table Cloth Suited Polo - Waterproof

I used carpet underlay for the foam but I have been searching for cheap alternatives. If you can find a cheap thin yoga mat, it may work well. You basically want a foam that comes back to its original state after compression and it isn't too soft.

If you can find a foam supplier in your area, high-quality closed-cell foam can be very cheap. (I found one near me in Albany, NY, and got enough for my long table for about $22. And with no shipping, it was that much cheaper.)

Thanks guys. The wife ironed it from the top and it's much better. I'm hoping it will smooth out more once it's stretched and stapled. I'm trying to spend as little as possible on this build. I found the outdoor fabric at Wal-Mart for $5 a linear yard.

Progress pics.
I decided to make a topper after all. I am building this reusing a padded rail from an older table that I picked up on craigslist.
I still need to replace the vinyl on the padded rail. The table is 45" x 96" with a 5.5" wide rail.

IMG_2053.jpg
IMG_2054.jpg
IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg
IMG_2058.jpg
IMG_2059.jpg
IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2062.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great! The foam looks a bit thick though but since your cloth seems sturdy, maybe it'll be fine. How many chips can you stack?

That looks great! The foam looks a bit thick though but since your cloth seems sturdy, maybe it'll be fine. How many chips can you stack?

The first layer of foam is 1/2" thick carpet padding left over from a carpet install I had done last year. Its pretty dense and doesn't compress as much as you might think. The top of the carpet foam had a light textured surface that I was afraid would be felt thru the cloth so I added a thin layer of headliner. Here is a pic of a 100 chip stack that took very little effort to create.

IMG_2064.jpg

Last edited:
OK, it's time to start planning phase 2 of this table build, re-wrapping the rail.
The original builder of this rail just cut a hole in the vinyl slightly smaller than the cup.
This seems to be where the majority of the tears are in the vinyl.
I've seen pics where some builders mount wooden sleeves in the rail and it appears to me to be a better design to protect from tears.
I searched the site for info on sleeving the cup holders but did not find what I was looking for.
Please point me in the right direction for tips on cup in rail install with solid sleeve support.

Do you cut the height of the ring shorter that where the uncompressed foam is?
Do you round over the top inside edge of the ring with a router?
Do you glue the vinyl to the inside of the PVC ring?

Do you cut the height of the ring shorter that where the uncompressed foam is? No. I try to keep it the same height. I don't like a depression in the vinyl around the cup.

Do you round over the top inside edge of the ring with a router? No. You want the lip of the cup to rest on the top of the PVC ring.

Do you glue the vinyl to the inside of the PVC ring? No. I cut the vinyl into about six wedges starting in the center of the cup hole being careful not to cut past the inside edge of the PVC ring. Then the cup is pressed into the PVC ring. The vinyl helps makes a compression fit of the cup if you have used the correct size of PVC. You will need to glue the PVC ring to the table base centered over the cup hole.

OK, so I finally found some time to work on redoing the rail. I ended up cutting the cup holder rings from wood. The rail material is whisper vinyl from Jonann's.
I also found a under counter drawer at a flea market earlier this year for a chip tray & accessories.

Attachments

• DSCN6347.JPG
    DSCN6347.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN6348.JPG
    DSCN6348.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN6350.JPG
    DSCN6350.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2263.jpg
    IMG_2263.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 192

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom