Seeking Advice - Regpocalypse in my Home Game (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
So, this calendar year, 9 of my home game "regs" have had a "life event" that has either permanently (moved, passed away) or longer term temporarily (new baby, seriously ill family member, health issues, lost job, car pooler with one of the other impacted folks) stopped attending. It's made filling a table tough all of a sudden.

Curious if any of you have gone through a bad "stretch" like this in terms of attendance on things that aren't about the quality of the game. Has anyone decreased frequency to try to get those who could come out once in a blue moon for now, done something interesting to recruit new players, etc.? Kinda banging my head against a wall and don't want the game to die as it was fully healthy just a few months ago.

I had this happen about 4 years ago and I feel for you man, it really sucks. I had 4 guys move out of state, one moved to another country, another had a big change in job schedule, one got married and wanted to focus on his new step kids, and my father in law who attended absolutely every game I ever had passed away. It was a brutal stretch, and I had a couple of years where every other game was getting cancelled, I couldn't even must up 6 for a small tourney. I honestly had enjoyed such a nice streak of games that I got a little lazy with recruiting, and as they say - your game is either growing or it's dying. Mine came real close to dying. I asked everybody left to bring some friends and ask around work for new players. I got back into subtlety recruiting where I could, asked a few other parents while hanging out watching the kids' sporting events, mentioned the game at extended family parties, posted my monthly game here on PCF to drum up some local interest, and my wife even posted a few pictures of my setup on her Facebook page to throw some bait into the water. I also took the lull as an opportunity to fix up my basement and make the poker room a little nicer place to play. It took me almost 3 years, but I've finally gotten the game back to the point where I've got at least a full table every month and have had a few two table games as well.

Keep up with the recruiting and re-grow the game back up with the right folks. Good luck!

I've not had this issue myself, thankfully. Living in Dallas I have a huge player pool and more regulars than I can currently seat.

As for your issue - I'd suggest as @Irish states - ask current players to bring friends and neighbors. Some might stick and become new regulars. Also, seek out other games (maybe not as good as yours) and poach players.

Reach out to those without a permanent reason for not attending and see if there are accommodations you could make to get them back - a new night perhaps? Try a Thursday/Friday instead of a Saturday.

What's your structure, cash, tournament, league, etc...?
I'm still new to hosting compared to you (finishing up two years), but I believe the biggest thing that keeps my numbers strong is the fact that it's a league. When there's the carrot of the championship at the end dangled in front of them, it gives them a reason to attend each month instead of just blowing it off because they don't want to make the effort.

I had this happen a few months after I took over the last game I was in and started hosting on a weekly basis. I have since moved to about twice per month now. Even when players text me to have an extra game for a 3rd week in a row I don’t do it. I don’t want to burn players out. Cash games above 25/50c $100 max are always going to have a lot of player fluctuations. You need to always be searching for new players.

That stinks man. Especially after you set up your amazing room. Recruiting is hard but necessary. Do you attend any other local home games? That might be a place to start.

What's your structure, cash, tournament, league, etc...?
I'm still new to hosting compared to you (finishing up two years), but I believe the biggest thing that keeps my numbers strong is the fact that it's a league. When there's the carrot of the championship at the end dangled in front of them, it gives them a reason to attend each month instead of just blowing it off because they don't want to make the effort.
I just started a league structure for my tourneys. Do one tourney and one cash game a month.

And I hear everyone on recruiting. Been doing it, but when you have attrition of 50% of your player pool in a couple of months my new player every 3rd game or so isn't cutting it.

That stinks man. Especially after you set up your amazing room. Recruiting is hard but necessary. Do you attend any other local home games? That might be a place to start.
Just one but it's circus games, and my core doesn't go beyond PLO. Could start trying to get them there though.

You'd be surprised sometimes how many people you know have a different gang of friends who play that you were not aware of. I know I was.

I'd focus on asking everyone about who they know that plays elsewhere or hosts. Try to get invited there for a game or two.

Don't try to steal players, but if they play a different night, different week, many people are into playing more often than their own game.

Maybe their game is once a month and so is yours. You can time it so guys play every 2 weeks with some crossover from the other games.

I host once every week or 2. But now I go to other games too. Came to find out 1 guy in my gang once or twice had played with a different group. Made connections that way to what is now like 4 groups total. Was even 5 at one point. Each group has 2 or 3 guys that crossover and play with other groups on different nights/weeks.

A few times we've had multi table tourneys with members of all groups.

I have 3 or 4 of my 10 regulars that play 3x per week during the winter tourney season. (Something all our groups have in common is we all play tourneys in winter and run leagues with points).

Each week I send a group text to my 10 regulars, and for each NO I get I immediately text one of the extras from the other groups I've met.

(Instead of a free for all I still stay loyal to the original regulars and give them 1st dibs)

It really depends on who you're comfortable with letting into your own home. For me, I have a wife and small kid in the house, so I try to keep it to people that either me or both of us know to keep the house secure. With a mix of friends and cousins I usually get enough to have a regular 6 player cash game (which is perfect, IMO) every month out of a pool of 10 to 12 people. Honestly, I was the one that flaked out the last couple of years on that group because of grad school, getting married, having a kid, buying a house, finding a new job, etc, but once I got all my ducks in a row and things calmed down, I invested in a table, chairs, and new chips and I started hosting again.

If you don't really care and you can have a good friend or trusted confidant vet new people to grow your game, then that's a good place to start. @Irish has it bang on in terms of recruiting. Ask around discretely at work. Ask friends if they know anyone, invite the neighbors over at the next block party or community event. You can scour the local Facebook information groups and ask around for interest there. I bet you'll get a couple of bites from that alone.

Other than that, I'm sure that there are people that are in the position I was in a couple of years ago. They'll come around again once they get their business sorted out.

It really depends on who you're comfortable with letting into your own home. For me, I have a wife and small kid in the house, so I try to keep it to people that either me or both of us know to keep the house secure. With a mix of friends and cousins I usually get enough to have a regular 6 player cash game (which is perfect, IMO) every month out of a pool of 10 to 12 people. Honestly, I was the one that flaked out the last couple of years on that group because of grad school, getting married, having a kid, buying a house, finding a new job, etc, but once I got all my ducks in a row and things calmed down, I invested in a table, chairs, and new chips and I started hosting again.

If you don't really care and you can have a good friend or trusted confidant vet new people to grow your game, then that's a good place to start. @Irish has it bang on in terms of recruiting. Ask around discretely at work. Ask friends if they know anyone, invite the neighbors over at the next block party or community event. You can scour the local Facebook information groups and ask around for interest there. I bet you'll get a couple of bites from that alone.

Other than that, I'm sure that there are people that are in the position I was in a couple of years ago. They'll come around again once they get their business sorted out.

I'm in the same situation with a couple of young kids. Don't want to have players (really, people) who haven't been vetted/vouched for by a trusted source.

Adding mixed games can reduce the number of folks needed to have a "full" table.
You could ask on this list if anyone in the area is interested.
Houston isn't that far, if you know what I mean.
Well, depending on what part of Houston you are talking about.

You're in Houston?

Lots of PCF guys in Houston - throw up a home game tread and network.

I've done it already. Houston's really spread out though, but I am central (Heights). When I was in recruiting years ago we used to have to talk with candidates about areas of town as someone could easily end up with an hour plus work commute one way and still be in the city.

I'm in the same situation with a couple of young kids. Don't want to have players (really, people) who haven't been vetted/vouched for by a trusted source.
Give it time. Asking through friends or work is probably the best bet. Inviting people from your area indiscriminately may not be for you if that's the case.

Another idea I liked is that if you have a league or regular game, new players (even if vetted) have a probationary period where they are watched carefully. If you or the group as a whole don't think they're a good fit, they can be kindly asked to not come back, no questions asked. Communicate this prior to the first time coming. You can even ask to meet the new player with the mutual friend just to make sure that they're not a rapist or serial killer ahead of time over a drink at the local bar. How someone handles liquor tells a lot about how well you'll get along with them.

I just started a league structure for my tourneys. Do one tourney and one cash game a month.

And I hear everyone on recruiting. Been doing it, but when you have attrition of 50% of your player pool in a couple of months my new player every 3rd game or so isn't cutting it.
For all of the benefits of a league, one of the drawbacks is recruiting late in the season. You might get them to one tournament to try things out, but then they're out until the next season starts.

Absolutely, I consider everyone in my game a friend that I've invited into my house, IMHO it's not much different than inviting people over for dinner. I tell folks that any new players they invite should fit in with the crowd and they are personally vouching for them. AND I have a rule that no one's allowed to bring more than a few new guests to a given game, so I don't have too many new players in my house at once.

For all of the benefits of a league, one of the drawbacks is recruiting late in the season. You might get them to one tournament to try things out, but then they're out until the next season starts.

It's funny, because while I know leagues work very well for some, I think it would be a death stroke for my game. I have 4 or 5 guys who play pretty much every time now, and another dozen or so who play about half the time. If I started taking money out of each game for a league, I think I'd loose two thirds of those part timers. Gotta know your group!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom