Tourney Seeking Advice: Championship Tournament Chip Stack Logistics (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
We are *finally* hosting my poker league's season championship in a few weeks. This is our first season, which we started a few months prior to the pandemic.

We have a points system that governs the starting stack for the final event - so everyone is getting a very specific amount of chips, between 15000 and 25000, down to T25 chip differences. We will have multiple tables.

Those of you who have done this before - how have you handled the logistics? (e.g. prepare each seat with the base chip stack, give players their inidivdual bonus chips that they take with them to their seat? Give players individual racks with their full stack? Draw for seats early and take care of it as the host?)

Just curious what best practice might be here/lessons learned so I don't pull my hair out, make mistakes, or cause delays.

I would pre-make all the stacks - this will take time and it's not something you want to be doing on the day. If you don't have enough racks then a ziploc will serve the same purpose. If a sharpie marked ziploc is good enough for WSOP then...

I would pre-make all the stacks - this will take time and it's not something you want to be doing on the day. If you don't have enough racks then a ziploc will serve the same purpose. If a sharpie marked ziploc is good enough for WSOP then...
Agree 100%. Ziplocks forever!!!!!

We do a random draw for seats long before the event, and put applicable stacks (and namecards) at each seating position on game day prior to the arrival of players.

But for your purposes, I'd prebuild stacks for each player and use identified ziplock baggies to pass out as players arrive.

We do a random draw for seats long before the event, and put applicable stacks (and namecards) at each seating position on game day prior to the arrival of players.

But for your purposes, I'd prebuild stacks for each player and use identified ziplock baggies to pass out as players arrive.
Does the seating draw in advance/setting up stacks in advance work better than the passing out ziplocs?

Does the seating draw in advance/setting up stacks in advance work better than the passing out ziplocs?
I think it's significantly better/easier, but our championship game is only a single-table event with guaranteed and timely attendance. Every seat has a stack (and name placard), and the players only need to 1) show up and 2) take their assigned seats at the announced starting time.

Multiple tables, field size uncertainty, and/or unknown tardiness might make it easier to just hand out the chips and seat players as they arrive..... avoiding possible unbalanced tables at the start, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom