Security of Samples (1 Viewer)

I’d say with this community… your chances of a sold sample set being reintroduced is between 0.0000001 and 0%

I give mine to my local guys for $0, and never had an issue. 99.9999999% of people coming to a meetup aren’t coming to bank on cashing a $100 chip anyway. I’d say it’s crazy to think it will really happen
If someone really wanted to cash in they would be better off putting it up for auction these days....

Last edited:
Just remove the inlay on one side. Easy to spot if added and can still be displayed without issue.

That's an interesting idea. It only messes up a single side of the chip. But again, I think it would be best of there's a way to complimentarily mark one side instead of doing it destructively.

Make an alternate second-side using stickers. Give it a jazzed-up version of the design, something obviously different, a "special edition" type of variant. Murder one side to remove the original inlay and then slap the alternate sticker on it.

boom

So in this case, if I were doing so, I’d limit my sample sets to people I trusted if I thought security were a major concern. I would also request FROR on the resale of the chips. If I planned to just sell the sample sets out on the open market (ala trying to help with the cost of the purchase) I’d simply sell them for more than the value of the chips and I wouldn’t build my sets with any $100/chips or maybe omit them from the sample set. So every sample set would be > $32/set.
Right, so redaction of the higher denominations is always an option. As is selling the sample set for face value. It's just not what I'm seeing when I see sample sets go up for sale. The price might be a little inflated over the cost of the actual chips from CPC, but they're not face value.

I’d say with this community… your chances of a sold sample set being reintroduced is between 0.0000001 and 0%
That's also how I feel... But I've only interacted with a few people here, many of whom have been very generous with gifts, I couldn't imagine they'd do anything of the sort. The more I think about my original post, the less I think I'm talking about myself and more about other people offering sample sets to the masses.

... So this thread is turning more into the following:
  • Since many sample sets go up for sale, and none of them seemingly have any sort of security built into them, I was curious if anyone had ever put into any thought about providing some type of cancellation for their chips.
  • It seems that for sample sets where this is actually a concern of the owner, they limit the sale/gifting of the sets to those who they trust here.
  • An easy way around this would just be to limit the higher denominations. I'd have to go back and check recent sample sales, but I thought I've always seen higher denominations included in them.

Make an alternate second-side using stickers. Give it a jazzed-up version of the design, something obviously different, a "special edition" type of variant. Murder one side to remove the original inlay and then slap the alternate sticker on it.
Certainly better than drilling or notching. And better than just removing the inlay and leaving it blank.

What about hot stamping a serial number on them? That way it adds uniqueness to the samples. I know nothing about the process of hot stamping beyond the fact that you can buy a machine, but the dies are expensive.

I don't think you can efficiently serialize with hotstamping. You could laser engrave them with serial numbers, I bet. But I personally wouldn't number any samples I gave out; I wouldn't want any of the recipients to think that they weren't special because they got #17 instead of #1.

I don't think you can efficiently serialize with hotstamping. You could laser engrave them with serial numbers, I bet. But I personally wouldn't number any samples I gave out; I wouldn't want any of the recipients to think that they weren't special because they got #17 instead of #1.
I have no idea how complex hot stamping is. But apparently you have to be in Alaska to do it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

With that said, I think I agree that even if you had the machine and you purchased the molds that you needed, it would still be a process that would definitely not be worth it for 20 samples. Hell, you would probably spend more on the process than you would lose if people brought the samples to your game. However, engraving is the same idea. And it would most likely be achievable.

I don't think that it would cause any sort of sadness amongst the recipients. That's just the nature of collectibles that have a number. Look at the PCF dealer buttons that came out. Is it cool to have number one? Sure! Do I care that I have number 39? Hell no. I love that sucker.

I would never worry about this. Also, I didn’t realize there was such an aftermarket for sample sets. I feel pretty lucky to have someone’s sample set and would never sell it. Still have my first, from @Racer96 back on the Blue Wall, I believe:
2B584C07-CC13-4963-AF4C-15B8DCE1015C.jpeg

And my last, from @liftapint , as well as all those in between.
55AD75BB-68B0-4CB8-93EA-12D28FBA0CC9.jpeg

I would much rather have these than a few extra bucks in a game.

I would never worry about this. Also, I didn’t realize there was such an aftermarket for sample sets. I feel pretty lucky to have someone’s sample set and would never sell it. Still have my first, from @Racer96 back on the Blue Wall, I believe:
View attachment 783349
View attachment 783350
Those boneyards are amazing! Great job @liftapint (sorry, I know I say this under every pic of them :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:)

As to the topic at hand, feel free to sell me sample sets, because the probability that I go to meet-ups is 0.01%, and I value the sample sets more than the cash anyways. So you're safe with me!

Also, now that I have been enlightened to this topic, and knowing how many of my cash sample sets are out there....now how am I supposed to put my Boneyards in play? Shoooooooot. :)

As to the topic at hand, feel free to sell me sample sets, because the probability that I go to meet-ups is 0.01%, and I value the sample sets more than the cash anyways. So you're safe with me!

Also, now that I have been enlightened to this topic, and knowing how many of my cash sample sets are out there....now how am I supposed to put my Boneyards in play? Shoooooooot. :)
If I were you, I’d be more worried about harvesting. That’s a sweet rack of quarters for 25 bucks :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

You don’t have to put them in play. Send them to Louisiana, I’ll do that for you. Please feel free to come and cash in your sample sets as well! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 783349
View attachment 783350
Beautiful set Mel.

Here’s my take: I only give cash samples to friends. If they sell them, or try to sneak them into my games, well, then they must really need the money.

That being said, I cashed in some samples at @Josh Kifer game. But I took other samples, so it’s a wash.

I also may have left an upper decker in his basement bathroom. And I definitely peed in his shower.

Tourney samples I don’t give two shits about. Sneak a tourney chip in. I don’t really care. Hahahahahaha
Next time you should leave a skybox… which is on TOP of the tank.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom