Searching for my perfect 600 chip carrier (1 Viewer)

Tarheel4Life

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I’ve had many 600 chip carriers in the past and I’ve found that the ones without the support brackets fall apart pretty quickly when transporting chips, whereas the ones that have the support brackets are rock solid and last a decade or longer.

The red circled part indicates what’s missing on the interior acrylic 600 chip folding cases.

Sadly, I can’t source the ones with the clips anywhere. I don’t know who the manufacturer is - there is no mfg or model markings on the ones that I have at all.

- does anyone know who does/did manufacture the cases with the brackets?
- does anyone have a couple with brackets they want to sell?

Thanks for looking and help you can provide!

Attachments

• 424F98F6-3502-480A-9C73-2B9342EAD129.jpeg
    424F98F6-3502-480A-9C73-2B9342EAD129.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 3AB478CC-8021-4A84-8E4D-E7925BB32D57.jpeg
    3AB478CC-8021-4A84-8E4D-E7925BB32D57.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 142
I don’t know anything about those cases per se. I wonder if you could just rivet a piano hinge to both sides to increase the strength.

I’d prefer to avoid jury rigging anything if possible. These 600 chip carriers with the extra support have worked great for me for a long time and I just need a couple more.

Maybe try this bird cage type of carrier if you cant find the one you want with the clips, I think it would be more durable than the lunch box style carriers anyway. I have the one you mentioned with the clips but bought it many years ago and I don't remember where.

1598965692487.png

I’ve read bad things about those carriers where they handle is held in by a single screw and if that gives way, bye bye chips. I transport my chips quite a bit as I don’t normally host and bring my chips to one of three games hosted elsewhere, so durability and portability are a big thing for me.

As far as chip protection and durability: Pelican style with pick and pull>versa>birdcage>lunch box style

I’ve read bad things about those carriers where they handle is held in by a single screw and if that gives way, bye bye chips. I transport my chips quite a bit as I don’t normally host and bring my chips to one of three games hosted elsewhere, so durability and portability are a big thing for me.

I trust my birdcage cases much more than my lunch box style with or without the clips, that single screw is much better than the handle on the lunch box case without question. If you transport chips often I would not go with either I would get a pelican style case, it will by far be the most durable and secure case. After that the versa case. You can get an Apache case at harbor freight for cheap and they work great, not as cool looking as the versa or the actual pelican case but less expensive and serve the same purpose. They are bullet proof (not actually but you get the idea).

1598968495343.png

1598968664702.png

1598968781491.png

1598968717098.png

If you do a search on this site there are many threads dedicated to this style case. Search for Apache case or Pelican or Nanuk

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/nanuk-930-chip-case.52076/#post-1207659

Last edited:
This is the weak link with the lunchbox style carriers.
20200901_101938.jpg
20200901_101953.jpg

That small pin is all that is keeping your chips off the ground. Having said that this case is at least 10 years old, but i only used it to transport chips around the house and I never trusted the handle.

This is the bottom of my birdcage, it has two screws that hold the bottom, but when i removed them, I could not get the bottom off so it may also be glued or something. I was surprised how sturdy it was. I still only use this around the house.

20200901_102222.jpg

This is the small Apache case, my puppy ripped the pick and pull foam that I had around the chips and I have not had a chance to order more, but it still secures the chips well.

20200901_102846.jpg

20200901_102935.jpg

Hmmm, I guess I can just leave the chips out in racks to display them and Versa then when transporting. It’s not like I’m home very often to gaze at them anyway, lol.

Going to check out the Versa cases. Thanks all!

As far as chip protection and durability: Pelican style with pick and pull>versa> ...

Is "pick and pull" the latching mechanism? If so, what should I be looking for? I've had the Versa in my Amazon cart for two days now and was planning on buying it once I gave myself sufficient confirmation bias from its reviews, lol. I don't mind spending more on a Nanuk or something if it actually provides superior protection. Would you consider a Pelican style case similar to buying a car with a seatbelt? Or already having a car with a seatbelt and purchasing a full-face helmet as well?

Is "pick and pull" the latching mechanism? If so, what should I be looking for? I've had the Versa in my Amazon cart for two days now and was planning on buying it once I gave myself sufficient confirmation bias from its reviews, lol. I don't mind spending more on a Nanuk or something if it actually provides superior protection. Would you consider a Pelican style case similar to buying a car with a seatbelt? Or already having a car with a seatbelt and purchasing a full-face helmet as well?
Pick and pull is the foam in those cases, it’s been sliced into tiny cubes, and you pick out the ones needed to secure your chips.
I have the Versa 600 case and love it. It is a little harder to get the bottom 2 racks out of the case, but not too bad, there’s a little trick to it. Someone posted a video of the process, I’ll look for it.

No, the pick and pull is referring to the foam.

1599047429360.png

The thickness of the foam will vary depending on the size of the case but there are 3 layers, the egg crate top a solid foam bottom and the middle layer gives you the ability to "pick and pull" out sections of foam to custom fit whatever you are putting in the case. These cases are often used for guns, and photograph equipment, so this gives you the ability to form the protective layer around whatever you have in the case.

1599047715334.png

1599047751454.png

Notice in my photo the middle layer is gone, due to my dog pulling it out and shredding it all over the floor. I can buy replacement foam for a few bucks but to be completely honest it's fine without it. It was nice because I had cut out a place for the cards and buttons.

20200901_102846.jpg

The versa case probably looks better imho, and will provide plenty of safety for your chips, but this case in next level safety. My daughter uses a case similar to this to protect thousands of dollars worth of sensitive photography equipment. I feel like I could drop this off a table and not damage the chips in any way (I'm too chicken to try it). Good luck!

Last edited:
Another vote for the Nanuk 910 - good for up to 800 chips. See this thread. Occasionally available for $30 via Amazon and other sites.

Plus a few pics attached.

Nanuk 910 w/600 chips plus accessories...
Nanuk 910 600 chips.jpg

Nanuk 910 w/500 chips plus accessories...
Nanuk 910 & house mold set.jpg

Nanuk 910 w/400 chips plus accessories...
Nanuk 910 w400 chips.jpg

Plus, choose your favorite flavor!
Nanuk 910 8 colors.jpg

Curious if this happens for folks who have chips in foam and travel a lot with them. I've got another hobby where we pack painted minis in foam a lot and them rubbing against the foam can cause some wear with a lot of travel/vibration.

For the folks who have chips up against the foam itself do you experience this at all?

I just received my Nanuk 915 to hold 600 chips. It’s a really sweet case! I’ll snap pics once my racks come in tomorrow and can get chips in them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom