Scrotum (1 Viewer)

My apologies @abby99 , what is your experience with this game, if you don't mind sharing :)

My apologies @abby99 , what is your experience with this game, if you don't mind sharing :)

Well, I've played it but am far from being an expert. Most of my experience is with Scrotum 8 (high/low split, 8 qualifier).

Although I haven't studied the game much, I have observed some common errors, most of which occur pre-flop. Forgetting that you have to play every card you keep is a big one. Holding two pair or trips is good, but don't keep a fourth card with trips even if it is a pretty Ace. If you keep AA236, you cannot make a qualifying low because of the pair.

Pay close attention to the number of cards kept by your opponents.

@inca911 explained the game very well in his earlier post.

Well, I've played it but am far from being an expert. Most of my experience is with Scrotum 8 (high/low split, 8 qualifier).

Although I haven't studied the game much, I have observed some common errors, most of which occur pre-flop. Forgetting that you have to play every card you keep is a big one. Holding two pair or trips is good, but don't keep a fourth card with trips even if it is a pretty Ace. If you keep AA236, you cannot make a qualifying low because of the pair.

Pay close attention to the number of cards kept by your opponents.

@inca911 explained the game very well in his earlier post.
Thanks Abby, he sure did :)

Is the game played with a limit structure or big bet ?
Can be played either way; and imo works very well with both betting structures.

As one might suspect, the limit version typically has more hands seeing flops, and lots of drawing hands sticking around to the river. Which does (or should) affect one's starting hand choices.... but that is somewhat rare, since most players won't be playing optimally.

Sorry if this was 'covered' already, but just wanted to confirm something.

SCENARIO 1: If Player A retains 3 x cards (Q72h) and Player B retains 3 x cards (Q72c), and the board runs out 5c8hAs5h8c; is that a split pot as they both have the 'same' Q-high flush hand, but a different suit? Meaning, the old suit ranking of clubs, diamonds, hearts spades (worst to best) doesn't play?

SCENARIO 2: If Player A retains 3 x cards (Q72h) and Player B retains 3 x cards (Q62c), and the board runs out 5c8hAs5h8c; is that a split pot as they both have Q-high flush, apart from the club having a 6, which is lower than a 7? Or, does the lower card in the sequence reduce the strength?

Essentially, does it matter if both have a flush and the high card is the same, or do the other 4 cards have some bearing on determining the winner?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Sorry if this was 'covered' already, but just wanted to confirm something.

SCENARIO 1: If Player A retains 3 x cards (Q72h) and Player B retains 3 x cards (Q72c), and the board runs out 5c8hAs5h8c; is that a split pot as they both have the 'same' Q-high flush hand, but a different suit? Meaning, the old suit ranking of clubs, diamonds, hearts spades (worst to best) doesn't play?

SCENARIO 2: If Player A retains 3 x cards (Q72h) and Player B retains 3 x cards (Q62c), and the board runs out 5c8hAs5h8c; is that a split pot as they both have Q-high flush, apart from the club having a 6, which is lower than a 7? Or, does the lower card in the sequence reduce the strength?

Essentially, does it matter if both have a flush and the high card is the same, or do the other 4 cards have some bearing on determining the winner?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

SCENARIO 1: Chop. Suits don't matter.

SCENARIO 2: Player A wins the pot for the reason you stated. If the high cards are the same, compre the second cards and so on, continuing to the fifth card if necessary. Q87xx beats Q86xx.

The question addressed, but not answered in that podcast is how the first round works. Do you set your hand and bet all in one action, or is there a round of hand-setting followed by a round of preflop betting?
I’ve always played when it’s your action set hand and bet happen simultaneously

We play it this way as well. It's your turn, announce how many cards you're keeping AND your bet.

We almost always play micro stakes 5c/10c cash games, but when playing these types of games (which could in theory have 10 donkeys chasing to the river just because this game is so fun) we play 25c raise limit pre-flop and flop. Then 50c raise limit turn and river. Each betting round capped at 4 bets. For a max bet of $1 per player the 1st 2 rounds, max bet of $2 per player for last 2 rounds.

Actually I correct myself, 9 donkeys call to river, and 1 great player cusses us all out and goes to get another beer from my fridge. Then we laugh for 10 minutes cause this game is so crazy. What are the odds, 3 flushes?

Spoiler: the odds are very good if 2-3 people each kept 4 cards. There will be multiple flushes, and they might all lose.

SCENARIO 1: Chop. Suits don't matter.

SCENARIO 2: Player A wins the pot for the reason you stated. If the high cards are the same, compre the second cards and so on, continuing to the fifth card if necessary. Q87xx beats Q86xx.
Thx Abby :) I thought so

I like the idea of discard and bet simultaneously as well.

The podcast was not as informative as I had hoped, but it was just interesting that they addressed Scrotum at all.

I am really liking this as a game and can't wait to play with my crew. Will probably start as limit, then pot limit.

It's a better game IMO if all the hands are set after the pre-flop betting has been completed.
Would be great to hear why this and how it plays in your game :)

Did you try both ways and one just worked/felt better...?

Cheers

Would be great to hear why this and how it plays in your game :)
Did you try both ways and one just worked/felt better...?

Because 1) Because it forces players to do all their pre-flop betting based only on the usual information (holding, position, etc.), and thus reduces the positional advantage pre-flop, and 2) This is how the game was played when it was invented (among players at BARGE, back in 2011).

Because 1) Because it forces players to do all their pre-flop betting based only on the usual information (holding, position, etc.), and thus reduces the positional advantage pre-flop, and 2) This is how the game was played when it was invented (among players at BARGE, back in 2011).
Cheers. How does it reduce positional advantage and why do we want that?

Any info on the name?

So I have a question...
Can a player discard ALL of their cards and just play the board?
1578882354050.jpeg

So I have a question...
Can a player discard ALL of their cards and just play the board?
I guess you could but you’d basically be declaring playing the board pre-flop, which would require a pretty rare sequence of events to work out in your favour where everyone whiffs so hard their hand is worse than a board that is a made hand of some sort.

So there’s not a definite answer? Board had AJJ then it went J...A...someone held a pair of 10s so the guy playing the board technically won (I suppose?) but when I introduced the game a few weeks ago I never stated you could NOT discard all five cards...so here we are...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom