• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine Scroll Mold, literally (1 Viewer)

From the description:

You are buying the ACTUAL gaming cups for compression molding the Hispania Gaming scroll mold.

The more I watch machining videos on youtube, the more I think that cnc milling the dies for chips is really not that unobtainable. The clay formula, press pressure, heat requirements etc are likely where the real secrets are.

So, it's probably *worth* $15,000... But unless you are going into the scroll mold business... Pass. :yawn:

IIRC, several places have produced in the scroll mold.
I started KMCo with no idea what I was doing...

giphy.gif

KPCCo......

Even if you bought these, don’t you still need the press? And isn’t that the most expensive part by far (minus the labor)?

Some years ago I spoke to Joe about my father in law and I buying him out, including the Hispania assets. It was a six-figure price he tossed out. We ultimately passed before even negotiating when it became apparent we’d need someone with expertise to get things off the ground and there was no guarantee we could ever really get the chips to come out the way we wanted.

The more I watch machining videos on youtube, the more I think that cnc milling the dies for chips is really not that unobtainable. The clay formula, press pressure, heat requirements etc are likely where the real secrets are.
If you had the secret to how BCC/Paulson make their chips, it is a low temp low pressure process and you can make chips like stamping coins. It goes pretty quickly, and you only need one cup (top and bottom) and a small (relatively) press to be profitable. CPC has a high temp high pressure process, and needs $20,000 molds with 20 cups because theirs is a longer process and you need to make them 20 at a time to be profitable.

The colors are probably the only thing that you would want to buy these for because they are the hardest thing to figure out. Everything else, you can acid-etch mold cups, you can buy a low power, small compression press, you could make cookie cutters that punch out edge-spots, but the colors and recipe for the clay, that requires quite a bit of knowledge and experimentation.

The clay formula could depend on the compression method. The fact that there are 40 cups could indicate that this equipment and formulae are for a method similar to the one used by CPC.

I wonder if there could be a group buy on here so that we can send these cups and formulas to CPC and get more colors. Not sure if it would be possible with CPC equipment, but if it is, that’s an extra 50 colors, including a good yellow!

I doubt CPC has much to learn from Joe....
And since they have a scroll mold already, would be better to just send the 15K to David and let him experiment with some pigments

Or fund a new mold...

Ps. Someone else still waiting on their PGI real clay prototypes ? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

And since they have a scroll mold already, would be better to just send the 15K to David and let him experiment with some pigments

Or fund a new mold...
Oh yes, if people here could agree on what colors / what mold to put the money on. Everybody has their own wish list. I have mine at least. No guarantee for success, of course, in such a venture.

Joe was always awesome to work with, and I wish him luck. If the mold sells, I hope it goes to someone who knows what they're getting into. There's quite a bit involved after you have the mold.

You can buy a canvas and paint, but that doesn't make you an artist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom