Saying goodbye. (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
This is Jack.
C4F88EE8-3108-4DDE-A21D-CDB898621A22.jpeg

He's been with us since '16, when our friends, to whom he belonged, got a divorce. We would keep him at our place when they went on family vacations, so he was already like part of the family. When we got him, he was fat, over 50 lbs. After a few months of a diet and some reasonable exercise, he had lost 20 lbs., and was able to climb up stairs, or into the car, and jump up on the couch.
636359BF-E66F-4F67-AA69-7A326DCB5FE7.jpeg

Jack never played fetch, doesn't have a favorite toy, wasn't ever very playful. He was just happy to be close to us, and have food and a soft place to sleep. He always loved walks and car rides. He could be a little grumpy with other dogs, especially young energetic ones, but in a harmless curmudgeon "you kids get off my lawn!" sort of way. But he loves/tolerates Lucy, our young golden retriever.
EC7BCA48-E74F-4161-820D-39D4FF18CA34.jpeg

He had been showing signs of heart issues for the last couple years, but generally was in good spirits and fairly active for a senior dog. He had a major episode on a walk in August, where we thought we were going to lose him. He recovered ok, but he stopped eating this week, and we realized it's time to say goodbye. We took him for one last car ride this evening. He sat on my wife's lap, wrapped in a blanket, with his nose up to the open window.

We have one last evening with him, and will take him to the vet in the morning. He's resting peacefully on a soft blanket now.

D6342F93-0790-4309-A3F2-77572940D910.jpeg

Good boy, Jack. You made our lives sweeter.

Last edited:
This is Jack.
View attachment 1006276

He's been with us since '16, when our friends, to whom he belonged, got a divorce. We would keep him at our place when they went on family vacations, so he was already like part of the family. When we got him, he was fat, over 50 lbs. After a few months of a diet and some reasonable exercise, he had lost 20 lbs., and was able to climb up stairs, or into the car, and jump up on the couch.
View attachment 1006277

Jack never playful fetch, doesn't have a favorite toy, wasn't ever very playful. He was just happy to be close to us, and have food and a soft place to sleep. He always loved walks and car rides. He could be a little grumpy with other dogs, especially young energetic ones, but in a harmless curmudgeon "you kids get off my lawn!" sort of way. But he loves/tolerates Lucy, our young golden retriever.
View attachment 1006278

He had been showing signs of heart issues for the last couple years, but generally was in good spirits and fairly active for a senior dog. He had a major episode on a walk in August, where we thought we were going to lose him. He recovered ok, but he stopped eating this week, and we realized it's time to say goodbye. We took him for one last car ride this evening. He sat on my wife's lap, wrapped in a blanket, with his nose up to the open window.

We have one last evening with him, and will take him to the vet in the morning. He's resting peacefully on a soft blanket now.

View attachment 1006279
Good boy, Jack. You made our lives sweeter.
Love you stranger, and love your puppy too. Thoughts to you both.

i’ve had to go through this so many times in my life and twice within the last few months. It’s absolutely devastating and not very much different than losing a human family member. In some ways, because I don’t know for sure if they know how much I love them, it’s a little harder.

I read your message with tears in my eyes and thoughts of every pet I’ve ever had. I love them so much, as I can tell you love your buddy. Thanks for giving him a great life.

Thank you for sharing your story Andrew and for giving Jack such a wonderful, loving home. Sorry for your loss and the hole Jack's passing will leave in your family's life, Lucy included. Jack has given your family many happy memories, which is what life is all about.

Dibs on everything everyone has said here.

We don't have pets because of my allergies, but my brother's super-smart boy Astro is 17, a frequent guest in our house -- he only has three beds here -- and failing.

20170424_154005.jpg

Be glad that you made his life as happy and comfortable as it ever could have been. You done good.

It's probably a real bad day for you today @Beakertwang

Still thinking about you and your buddy. Stay strong dude.
Doing ok. Thanks for your concern. We've been preparing for this for a while now. Last night was the toughest, as we had to make the decision and schedule with the vet. I was prepared for saying good bye to Jack, but I wasn't prepared for my wife's broken heart as she came to terms with it. But we're doing ok today.

So sorry for your (and the family’s) loss…
You gave Jack a fantastic life, he rewarded you with unconditioned loyalty and love.

Our thoughts are with you and the family

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom