• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine Samsung 860 EVO SSD 40% OFF Black Friday Deal (2 Viewers)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Sick prices on these drives right now! I've been tracking them for a few months, and have never seen them this low.

Get 'em while they're hot!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=samsung+evo+ssd&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

1574840418155.png

I was shopping for a new solid state drive recently, but I am such a Miser with stuff like that.

you think this 500gb for $60 is the best deal going g right now?

If you are still using on old mechanical hard disk drive do yourself a favor and upgrade to one of these SSD's. It makes an amazing difference! Like buying a new PC.

Last edited:
Sweet - thanks!

Just FYI (don't know you computer knowledge level)...but don't buy the m.2 format if your motherboard is not equiped with this slot.
Then just buy regular SSD, these are drop-in replacements for older (non solid-state) HD's

Anyone got any tips for cloning the primary/OS drive?

At work I use older versions of this cloning station from Rosewill
I use them at least once a week and they are great for cloning Windows based drives as it captures the boot partitions and makes the clone completely/immediately bootable.

Highly recommend if you're ever going to clone multiple drives...

EDIT: A few catches: you need to use equal or LARGER drives for the destination drive, so you can't upgrade a 1TB spinning drive to a 512GB SSD...doesn't work...
And, if your OS has system/reserved partitions AFTER the main OS partition, then when you go to expand the drive, it won't work without either moving or deleting them, then expanding the OS partition..I usually just blow those out anyway since we use our own corporate OS installers, so we never need the "Restore" or "Reserved" partitions....and it's only an issue if they are physically after the OS partition, if they are ahead of it, then they're out of the way. :)

Last edited:
Just FYI (don't know you computer knowledge level)...but don't buy the m.2 format if your motherboard is not equiped with this slot.
Then just buy regular SSD, these are drop-in replacements for older (non solid-state) HD's

I def. don't have m.2... My build is from 2012. Probably due for an all-new build from the ground up, but don't feel like taking on such a project right now. Figure the SSDs will be a good stopgap for a couple of years.

At work I use older versions of this cloning station from Rosewill
I use them at least once a week and they are great for cloning Windows based drives as it captures the boot partitions and makes the clone completely/immediately bootable.

Highly recommend if you're ever going to clone multiple drives...

EDIT: A few catches: you need to use equal or LARGER drives for the destination drive, so you can't upgrade a 1TB spinning drive to a 512GB SSD...doesn't work...
And, if your OS has system/reserved partitions AFTER the main OS partition, then when you go to expand the drive, it won't work without either moving or deleting them, then expanding the OS partition..I usually just blow those out anyway since we use our own corporate OS installers, so we never need the "Restore" or "Reserved" partitions....and it's only an issue if they are physically after the OS partition, if they are ahead of it, then they're out of the way. :)

Thanks for this info... I think I'm OK but will shoot you a text.

I'm trying to decide between the Evo 500GB or this QVO 1TB. I'm just wondering if the prices will be even better on Cyber Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch...33228&s=electronics&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=1-6

Those that need help with cloning, the Samsung software is great (many of the mfg's have free cloning software). At work I use the paid versions of Active disk or Farstone. Clonezilla is a good free util, though not so user friendly.

I'm trying to decide between the Evo 500GB or this QVO 1TB. I'm just wondering if the prices will be even better on Cyber Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch...33228&s=electronics&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=1-6

Those that need help with cloning, the Samsung software is great (many of the mfg's have free cloning software). At work I use the paid versions of Active disk or Farstone. Clonezilla is a good free util, though not so user friendly.

For your OS drive, I would prefer the Evo (more speed for the money; tlc-nand vs qlc-nand)
If it's to create more storage, the QVO will do (more storage for the money)

I def. don't have m.2... My build is from 2012. Probably due for an all-new build from the ground up, but don't feel like taking on such a project right now. Figure the SSDs will be a good stopgap for a couple of years.
If your main drive is (OS) is still an old disk...you will be surprised, great improvement.
Not to mention the extra safety of your files (still have to own a failed SSD...don't get me started on spinning disks)

For your OS drive, I would prefer the Evo (more speed for the money; tlc-nand vs qlc-nand)
If it's to create more storage, the QVO will do (more storage for the money)

Agree, I'm leaning in that direction. It is to run the OS. It's my main laptop.

I was thinking about the QVO because I like to dual boot Win10 and some version of Linux. The 1TB would give more room for that, but I can make do with the 500GB.

Good article:

https://thepcenthusiast.com/samsung-860-qvo-vs-860-evo-vs-860-pro-ssd-review/

Last edited:
(still have to own a failed SSD...don't get me started on spinning disks)

We've had around half a dozen SSD's fail in the last year or so. Though I know one of them was in a laptop that "wasn't dropped..." lol.

I did have one client that was complaining about laptop speed. We replaced his HD with an SSD. Then he claimed the laptop wasn't any faster. I used other words to tell him he's full of shit. Then told him if it's still not fast enough, we can order him a new laptop, which his supervisor did not approve. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom