Samples arrived. First step on the chip-whore journey. (1 Viewer)

Jormugandr333

Sitting Out
Reaction score
20201209_204451.jpg

Thanks to Apache Poker Chips for the quick shipping.

Majestic China Clays, Bank China Clays, Scroll Ceramics, and some saucy Paulsons for reference (and for fiddling with next to the computer). The Banks and Majestics are what I'm leaning toward for my first set. I mostly got the scrolls just to compare, but they are actually quite a bit nicer that I figured they would be. I do have some CPC Atlantics on the way, also just for reference since I can't afford a set. Maybe some day I'll get myself a custom set.

I picked up a couple sets of cards as well to see which I like best. Have some Kems coming too. The silver dollar is going to be my card guard when my coin holder arrives. Got it from my grandpa over 30 years ago.

Yeah, I'm getting obsessed, haha.

Nice start to the journey! I would look to get a sample from brpropoker.com as well. Their ceramics are a lot nicer than the scrolls

Awesome start! Be sure to check out a breakdown guide before you make your purchase! Don't be like me and order 6 denoms in steps of 10/25/50/100/500/1000 for a 600pc set. ;)
I did choose the bank chips from apachepokerchips back then. Have upgraded to some nice paulsons since, but I really do like the china clays.

Last edited:
Very nice, I'm only 1 step ahead of you. Got my chip samples several weeks ago. First thing I did was take a magnet to them all and weed out the slugged chips. It's really amazing how nice the sluggers have gotten since the last time I bought chips! Let us know you thoughts on the cards, I still havent picked a brand yet for those.

You are on a great start. Already beat me in quality cards compared to the junk I play with. Congrats on the stuff!

Welcome to the forum! Great start in getting sample sets of chips.

If you are checking out playing cards to see which ones you like you might want to check cards from a couple of site vendors that currently have playing cards for sale.

@desjgn sells playing cards:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/ordering-links.16572/

@Josh Kifer is also another site vendor selling Cartamundi Bravo plastic playing cards:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-50-a-deck-final-price-drop-for-setups.63160/

Enjoy. Have fun. Find what works best for you. The Majestics CC from Apache are underrated, imo. For that price and color scheme, it's an awesome budget friendly chip set. Maybe if I win the lottery I can drop thousands on some Paulsons, one day....
Got Gear labels (dollar symbols removed) for these semi-custom Majestics. They look and feel great, my friends love em!

Attachments

• 20201129_231826.jpg
    20201129_231826.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 105
Nice start to the journey! I would look to get a sample from brpropoker.com as well. Their ceramics are a lot nicer than the scrolls

I did check them out, but didn't really love any of their designs.

Awesome start! Be sure to check out a breakdown guide before you make your purchase! Don't be like me and order 6 denoms in steps of 10/25/50/100/500/1000 for a 600pc set. ;)
I did choose the bank chips from apachepokerchips back then. Have upgraded to some nice paulsons since, but I really do like the china clays.

Haha, yeah. That is something I've been thinking about. The breakdown I tentatively have is 100-1s, 150-5s, 100-25s, 75-100s, 50-500s and 25-1000s. That would cover tournament and cash games (using the denoms at pennies instead of dollars) for 5ish people, I think. Some won't be used in either situation, but it seems like a good balance. I will check that guide too. Thanks!

So follow up question - which is your favorite right now?

Of the ones I've gotten, the Paulsons, of course, but as for what I can realistically afford, I'm leaning toward the Bank.

I really like the color matching labels and the edge spot variety. As well as the lack of $ making them more flexible in how they're used. A 100 chip could be 100 dollars, 100 pennies, 100 points/chips/etc. for a tournament. And I think I prefer no having the branding. While the Majestics are great, my cramped dining area isn't a vary majestic card room, haha.

Enjoy. Have fun. Find what works best for you. The Majestics CC from Apache are underrated, imo. For that price and color scheme, it's an awesome budget friendly chip set. Maybe if I win the lottery I can drop thousands on some Paulsons, one day....
Got Gear labels (dollar symbols removed) for these semi-custom Majestics. They look and feel great, my friends love em!

That is a really cool option too. I can't imagine how much work it must have been to put all those on yourself. They look awesome! Not sure I have the patience, haha.

[...]
Haha, yeah. That is something I've been thinking about. The breakdown I tentatively have is 100-1s, 150-5s, 100-25s, 75-100s, 50-500s and 25-1000s. That would cover tournament and cash games (using the denoms at pennies instead of dollars) for 5ish people, I think. Some won't be used in either situation, but it seems like a good balance. I will check that guide too. Thanks!
[...]
I recommend using 2 sets for cash and tournament play for various reasons.

1. As you said, some denoms won't be played in either situation, so you'll end up playing both with only ~300 chips wich can be done, of course.
But it does not feel as good as having a "big stack" for the players who are running good and have to exchange all their winnings into higher denoms because otherwise the others can't post their blinds.

2. Security. You might only play for pennies with old friends, so security does not matter much right now, but you might have friends of friends over at your game some time in the future. You don't want one of them slipping one or two of the 1000 in their pocket during a $5 tourney and trying to cashing them out for $10 bucks in cashgame the week after.

3. Since you probably won't be using your 1 chips in a tourney and only a few 500 and 1000 in a cashgame you will have to buy more than the 500pc you intend to get anyways to give out decent starting stacks. So why not go for 2 sets right from the start? Plus you get the bonus of getting another set of chips that you might like and of course MOAR CHIPS!

Take a look at the guide. You already intend to get the very shallow denom jump from 500 to 1000, which is not recommended for reasons better explained in the guide.

There are a few traveling sample sets from @allforcharity I would reccomend getting on the list for those as well. He has the big easy bud jones chips for sale at a fantastic price right now too, love my set.

Welcome! :) I think majestics are really nice and a great choice. Paulson RHC sets on sale now at <$1.20 for mint chips are a superb deal too!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom