Sample issues - update (1 Viewer)

xdan

Flush
Reaction score
Hi everyone
As you know, I pulled the trigger on 2000 decks.

I’m still working with the factory on the samples they sent.
This will delay the process but will present a better product.

Seems the cards became sticky after use of a few hours.
I used a deck for 3 hours and they sticking became evident.

I’ll upload a video comparing the green sample to another sample I had from a different manufacturer.

Anyone know what could cause the cards to stick?
Too much varnish? Wrong varnish? Pvc stock?

I’m getting some matte finish samples done to hopefully eliminate the sticking issue.

Do the cards feel sticky to the touch or do they only stick to each other?

Mainly to each other.
But slightly sticky to the touch as well

Does wiping it with a wet cloth or paper towel fix the stickyness for a bit or make it worse? I've had some plastics / coating go weird on me but thats usually after heavier use and/or humidity.

I washed one of the decks that was sticky and they became good as new.

But they shouldn’t get like that after a couple hours.

I remember copag used to get sticky but that was after a few games. Heavy use

Hi Xdan

id expect that the cards a shiny on both sides. this creates a sort of suction. cheap chinese made plastic cards do this really badly. On more expensive cards they have one shiny side and one slightly rough side so air can get between them. the rough side is very subtle. have a look at your other decks there should be some subtle cross thatching on them to create an air cushion which makes them slide.

good luck

Geoff

Hi Xdan

id expect that the cards a shiny on both sides. this creates a sort of suction. cheap chinese made plastic cards do this really badly. On more expensive cards they have one shiny side and one slightly rough side so air can get between them. the rough side is very subtle. have a look at your other decks there should be some subtle cross thatching on them to create an air cushion which makes them slide.

good luck

Geoff
Thanks Geoff
Great feedback

I’m requesting a third run of samples in a matte finish. No gloss on either side.
The backs have a very slight texture.

Do you think this will solve the issue of the sticking?

I used to have some cheap Royal plastic cards that would do this too. I think they are so smooth that any oil from your hands makes them sticky after a while.
If this is happening to your cards and is fixed with washing, my guess is hand oils.

I used to have some cheap Royal plastic cards that would do this too. I think they are so smooth that any oil from your hands makes them sticky after a while.
If this is happening to your cards and is fixed with washing, my guess is hand oils.
There must be something on the cards interacting with the hand oils to cause this.

There must be something on the cards interacting with the hand oils to cause this.
I’m thinking it’s the oil causing the issue with these cards. If they’re too smooth it creates almost a vacuum.
Ever seen a small amount of liquid between two sheets of glass? It’s like the glass is glued together.
The texture that is on many other brands of cards may prevent this. At least with the Royal brand cards I had, they were just too smooth.

Thanks Geoff
Great feedback

I’m requesting a third run of samples in a matte finish. No gloss on either side.
The backs have a very slight texture.

Do you think this will solve the issue of the sticking?
Hopefully. the textured side should create that air cushion between the cards.

Good luck.

From measuring things with precise or “gauge” blocks (precise sized blocks of metal. Very very precise).

Wringability itself may be defined as the ability of two surfaces to adhere tightly to each other in the absence of external means--they are not magnetized or clamped together.

The source of the forces holding gage blocks together are thought to come from:

• Air pressure from the surrounding environment as the air is squeezed out when the blocks are slid together.
  • Surface tension from oil that remains on the gage blocks or water vapor from the air that acts as an adhesive to hold them together.
  • Molecular force caused by the interchange of electrons between the atoms of the separate blocks when two very flat surfaces are brought into such close contact with each other. This force will remain even in a vacuum or if no oil or water is present on the blocks.
Wringing requires two smooth, flat surfaces with surface finishes of 1 microinch AA or better. For gage blocks, it becomes difficult to wring surfaces once the flatness begins to exceed 5 microinches.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom