Sabre (Scrotum) Starting Hand Selection (1 Viewer)

Phantom

Full House
Reaction score
G'day,

Played Sabre (you know as Scrotum) on the weekend and was wondering what other people's hand selection strategy was. High only at this stage.

For example; I was dealt :kd::ts::ks::9d::2d:.

My initial instinct was to keep :kd::ks::ts:, but then I thought that the odds of hitting a set was slim (and not a 'strong' hand in Sabre), and a Full House even less.

Two (2) players only discarded one (1) card each respectively - both had shown down flushes from only one (1) discard earlier on, and a straight. The other two (2) discarded two (2) cards each respectively. I am on the button.

I decided to go for a flush draw and kept :kd::9d::2d:.

What would you have done with my starting hand?

Last edited:
KK10.

Friday night I kept and. flopped quad aces and lost to a gutter flopped straight flush lol

Would you expand a bit please mate? Still learning the game and any advice is welcome :)
Probably one of the biggest points is that it’s a non A flush. Very easy for someone to have a better flush if that’s what you end up making. It’s not like HE where you know the flush possibility’s, someone else keeps three or four of a suit and it’s very hidden when only two or one are on the board.

Add in that full houses are more probable.

Probably one of the biggest points is that it’s a non A flush. Very easy for someone to have a better flush if that’s what you end up making. It’s not like HE where you know the flush possibility’s, someone else keeps three or four of a suit and it’s very hidden when only two or one are on the board.

Add in that full houses are more probable.
Good one. Makes sense :). I should have trusted my instinct :)

I usually play trips, or two pair, or 3 to a straight flush (or 3 wheel cards if hi/lo). Just a pair (even a high pair), or three to a non nut flush just aren't that great. Sorry i thought i replied and forgot to hit "post"
Thanks Chippy, appreciate the input. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of strategy discussion for this variation and it seems to be one of the most popular. Hard to fold the AA and KK hand though :)

If you’re thinking in terms of hold em, sure. If you’re thinking a different game, they have a totally different value.
Absolutely :). We were discussing that when playing as none of the players have ever played anything other than HE. A few have played PLO here, and now we are branching out. I love two pair hands and hitting a FH when the board doesn't even pair.

Well, I should have trusted my instinct and kept :kd::ts::ks:

The board ran out - :4c::4h::kc::tx::2d: . One of the other fellas had a 4 :rolleyes: and I would have nailed him - oh well.

Definitely better to play the KKT. A king-high flush in this game won't usually get you much welcome action. Kings full, on the other hand, is a better bet.

Thanks Jim. Generally speaking, what would your starting hand selection advice be? High only for starters :)

Minimum big pairs with big kickers; this KKT hand is on the low end of the spectrum. A concealed full house is generally good for a modest profit. Three to a flush is kinda tied for last with the lone big pairs. You won't be missing much if you pass on them. Don't even bother playing for straights. Even if you get a pat straight, it's not a great hand. You may win sometimes, but will you often win when you get good action? Probably not.

Two pair and trips hands are obviously playable, with an eye toward boating up. Really, this game is about hitting boats and quads, and the occasional straight flush. And the size of the cards is very important. Small pairs are a liability.

Scrotum high-low is a better overall game. High-only can quickly get nitty.

I usually play trips, or two pair, or 3 to a straight flush (or 3 wheel cards if hi/lo). Just a pair (even a high pair), or three to a non nut flush just aren't that great. Sorry i thought i replied and forgot to hit "post"
^^ This. Easy fold pre-flop for hi-only, especially if two others are discarding only one card or if the pot has been raised. AKx or AQx flushes are what to shoot for, not K9x.

I would have folded pre-flop and not even remembered what I folded by the turn. You’re looking to fold most hands that aren’t good draws to an ace-high flush or boat (or better).

I much prefer this game as a split pot game with a low.

Late TTT.

I'm playing the hand and keeping KKT. I'm never keeping a K high three to a flush personally. Even if you hit you flush, you're bound to loose a big pot and win a small one.

Yes, it's not likely you'll hit your boat but if you do, you're well disguised and will get paid.

Great input fellas, thanks for taking the time. We will play it hi/lo next time and see how we go.

Still keen to hear what others are doing with hand selection and general play after their hand is set, so chime in :)

3 or 4 to a nutted suit, trips, and 2 pair hands in the hole are what you play.

If you keep just 2 cards, it had damn well better be Aces or maybe Kings, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

Or get dealt quads in the hole like I did one time and proceed to stack all their chippies. :)

3 or 4 to a nutted suit, trips, and 2 pair hands in the hole are what you play.

If you keep just 2 cards, it had damn well better be Aces or maybe Kings, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

Or get dealt quads in the hole like I did one time and proceed to stack all their chippies. :)
Now, that last strategy seems like the best one. I will try for that :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom