RSVP bonus (1 Viewer)

JeepologyOffroad

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas to offer as a RSVP bonus. We only play cash games.

I did show em chips last week and got the results I was hoping for, however I don't love playing with show em chips.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
You mean giving out a cash bonus to get people to show up on time? That seems extreme. But it would probably motivate me to show up on time.

My lesson in cash games is this: always invite more people than you think will show up. Life happens. People cancel. People will show up late. People will leave early. It's a cash game, so it's their right to do so.

And since it's a cash game, you can't really dictate a hard start. Hard starts are really only necessary for tournament play.

To boost attendance some local CO hosts offer free food, or have a "snack hour" 30-minutes before cards fly. For example, "hot chili at 5:30, and cards fly at 6pm!" Listing free booze in your invite is another way to get buts in the seat. I always have a few 6-packs on ice to keep players happy. Offering food and drinks shows that you care about being a good host and providing a good time.

TL;DR... Cash games require patience and flexibility - people show up late and leave early. It just is what it is. Better to just adapt to it than to try and implement strict rules that might only work to keep players away.

Last edited:
You mean giving out a cash bonus to get people to show up on time? That seems extreme. But it would probably motivate me to show up on time.

My lesson in cash games is this: always invite more people than you think will show up. Life happens. People cancel. People will show up late. People will leave early. It's a cash game, so it's their right to do so.

And since it's a cash game, you can't really dictate a hard start. Hard starts are really only necessary for tournament play.
No, definitely not a cash bonus. Looking for another option - like the show em chips. And it's really more for the RSVP vs on time.

Edit: definitely not trying to put in place strict rules whatsoever. But when everyone waits until the very last second to RSVP it puts the entire game in jeopardy. Keep in mind I don't live in an area that has an abundance of players. For example, I'm probably one of the most isolated chippers on PCF besides maybe some international members.

Last edited:
No, definitely not a cash bonus. Looking for another option - like the show em chips. And it's really more for the RSVP vs on time.
At my game you don't get a seat without an RSVP as I sometimes fill up and have to turn folks away if they are late in their RSVP. You have players just randomly show up?

At my game you don't get a seat without an RSVP as I sometimes fill up and have to turn folks away if they are late in their RSVP. You have players just randomly show up?
Edited the above post to give a little better background. After doing the show em RSVP bonus this past weekend I did have a wait list, but normally it's not that way. Normally I'm left sitting around wondering if there will be enough until the very last second.

hmmm hard to do that with cash games. i know with tournament's you can award a "on-time" chip bonus for people who show up on time. for cash game i like that show em chip option. but yea its not a perfect science. @justsomedude is spot on with the invite more people option. ill always send out at least 20 invites at a time incase everyone responds yes.

hmmm hard to do that with cash games. i know with tournament's you can award a "on-time" chip bonus for people who show up on time. for cash game i like that show em chip option. but yea its not a perfect science. @justsomedude is spot on with the invite more people option. ill always send out at least 20 invites at a time incase everyone responds yes.
I wish, but not feasible around here. Small area minimal players. There's only 1 other show in town and I will probably be absorbing that game soon, but not yet.

And yeah not on time, more for RSVP aspect

Edited the above post to give a little better background. After doing the show em RSVP bonus this past weekend I did have a wait list, but normally it's not that way. Normally I'm left sitting around wondering if there will be enough until the very last second.

Have you tried the BAND APP?

We just started using it here in CO, and it's a fun way of keeping everyone active/involved in your local poker crew. You can post photos, list game schedules, and have public/private chats. People can comment on and like posts. It's pretty powerful if you can get a solid group of people committed to it.

The trick is to get everyone using the App. I've started posting QR codes at each game, and pushing it on all of my players. We have about 30 members so far and it seems to be working well.

Looking for some ideas to offer as a RSVP bonus. We only play cash games.

I did show em chips last week and got the results I was hoping for, however I don't love playing with show em chips.

Any other ideas?
Offer them top shelf whiskey, while everyone else gets crap. :tup:

My problem is the opposite problem - RSVPs who drop last minute. I overbook by 1 accordingly, because I can always sit out/just deal if everyone shows.

Have you tried the BAND APP?

We just started using it here in CO, and it's a fun way of keeping everyone active/involved in your local poker crew. You can post photos, list game schedules, and have public/private chats. People can comment on and like posts. It's pretty powerful if you can get a solid group of people committed to it.
LOL sadly yes. I pushed for it hard and eventually got everyone to download it, but they all had their notifications off rendering it pointless so I don't even try to use it anymore.

It is rare I don't have enough for at the very least close to a full table and most of them will almost always play unless they have work or some prior obligations. The only time I have last second cancels is when the amount of players is teetering on playable vs not due to no RSVPs.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of other fun non-monetary rewards. I like the top shelf whiskey idea.

Maybe do a drawing from the people who RSVP'd and the winner gets to pick the music playlist?
Or do the same drawing, and the winner gets to pick their seat after everybody else draws random seating positions (I don't know how you seat your cash games)?

I'm trying to think of other fun non-monetary rewards. I like the top shelf whiskey idea.

Maybe do a drawing from the people who RSVP'd and the winner gets to pick the music playlist?
Or do the same drawing, and the winner gets to pick their seat after everybody else draws random seating positions (I don't know how you seat your cash games)?
I know the top shelf whiskey would get me to RSVP so damn fast, but there's only 3 of us that even enjoy whiskey. Everyone else is happy hammering coors light and fireball all night long :)

Some type of drawing is a good idea. Maybe a drawing for a show em chip. I wouldn't mind that, but when everyone is loaded with them not so much

Holden only? Or mixed?

Double board chips are fun. Or a chip where you get to call the game for a hand and or orbit?

No hot dog sandwiches unless you RSVP? You do have a roller, right? ;)

Seriously though... do you have a hot dog roller?

Free food and booze goes a long way to boosting attendance.

C93E4786-06CC-43C3-8FC7-BEA3F75B46DB.jpeg

Holden only? Or mixed?

Double board chips are fun. Or a chip where you get to call the game for a hand and or orbit?
Holdem only. Dealers choice is where games go to die around here :meh:

Seat position choice is a big desire for everyone at my game. I use seating chips. But I had thought about allowing people to choose their seats as they arrive. I prefer the randomness of seating chips, but if i took this approach it would definitely inspire more on time arrivals.

Yeah.. First come first serve policy... The more restricted geme is the more people want to get on with it....

Seriously though... do you have a hot dog roller?

Free food and booze goes a long way to boosting attendance.

View attachment 395332
I don't have a roller, but have considered. I do usually cook or order pizza though. And the beer fridge and liquor cabinet is always stocked. It's not really attendance itself that is the issue. I just hate not getting the verbal RSVP at least a few hours beforehand. Leaves everyone that does RSVP and myself in limbo sometimes

I don't have a roller, but have considered. I do usually cook or order pizza though. And the beer fridge and liquor cabinet is always stocked. It's not really attendance itself that is the issue. I just hate not getting the verbal RSVP at least a few hours beforehand. Leaves everyone that does RSVP and myself in limbo sometimes

Group text?

Simple. Basic.

Seat position choice is a big desire for everyone at my game. I use seating chips. But I had thought about allowing people to choose their seats as they arrive. I prefer the randomness of seating chips, but if i took this approach it would definitely inspire more on time arrivals.
I used to use seating chips. Since moving to only cash and players coming and going I usually just do choose your seat based on when you show up.
Rabbit hunt or STFU chip come to mind as well.
Was my first initial thought too. Might go this route and give it a shot at least.
Double board chip for some double board holdem?
I like this too. Could be a fun one

We do texts, PM's and emails. I'm not on Facebook. Too much drama.

Send out a group message to 20 people and the first 9 get a spot. Then people can gauge interest and RSVP accordingly. Or something similar. When spots are almost filled send an update.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom