Royals 43mm, some praise and a question - has anyone done relabeling with white labels? (1 Viewer)

Eriks

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a tourney set of Royals that has absolutely blown me away. They’re just so much better than I could’ve imagined. I own a barrel each of mint SB $500s and Jack $1ks primary for my mixed cash set and I gotta say (imho) the Royals are not far behind. Sure Paulsons are Paulsons and all but these...just god damn!

I also think that if I was to spend $10+/chip to get a 43mm Paulson tourney set, I’d have a hard time putting them in the ungentle hands of some of my chip unappreciating poker friends to go splash the pots with. I’d be a nervous wreck, watching that.

So, I think this is it for me. I got the tourney set I’m sticking with (in the forseeable future at least). Only thing bugging me is, generally I do prefer white labels over black (yes I’m a chip racist. Not doing harm to the Jack 1ks though) and I figured, why not do a relabeling with custom labels and in the process make em white.

Sure, I’m gonna get samples and try for myself but I wanted to see if anyone here has done a white relabeling to get a feel for if I wanna keep entertaing the idea or not.

Thanks!

I am aware I could have gotten blank ones, it just never occured to me that I might want to have my own labels (too lazy to bother generally).

Can you Post a pic of the set... how many chips? Might be a pain all that tearing and relabling

I just ordered a sample set of royals to see if I want to get 25 thru 5000 denoms or wait til May and get a higher denom set to have the 25k and 100k in there with those awesome colors.

Sure, here goes. Got 975, gonna fill up with 25 100ks when they’re back in stock. Could certainly be a pain to remove labels, haven’t tried on my samples yet.

F3EB72B8-A431-4381-AF9F-FB4FEECF1801.jpeg
DD8C37F0-2893-4E1C-A161-B1F5EDD8A389.jpeg

Damn with nearly 1000 chips you’ll be removing 2000 labels and reapplying again. Hope you have some free time lol personally I don’t think it’s worth the swap to white. I would sell the ones you got and reorder ones without labels to save time and hassle. Otherwise roll with black stock labels

If I decide definitely wanted a different label, I would sell those, taking a small loss, and get unlabeled chips.

Thanks guys, it does sound like pain. I’ll remove the labels from a sample to get a feel.

There’s just so much extra $ with shipping and custom fees. We’ll see...

/Idiot from nothern Europe

Can you Post a pic of the set... how many chips? Might be a pain all that tearing and relabling
Royals come off with not too much effort. Just get an exacto knife. It will take a while to do 1000 chips but if you’re getting custom labels you can just do a barrel or two a day until you complete your design and your new labels arrive.

I just ordered a sample set of royals to see if I want to get 25 thru 5000 denoms or wait til May and get a higher denom set to have the 25k and 100k in there with those awesome colors.
I definitely recommend getting the blue 25000 and pink 100000 chips. But you could always just order the others now and get the rest in a few months when they are back in stock.

Royals come off with not too much effort. Just get an exacto knife. It will take a while to do 1000 chips but if you’re getting custom labels you can just do a barrel or two a day until you complete your design and your new labels arrive.

Thanks! I’ll try that

^ +1

Just did this to 50 of the grey $1 chips, turning them into $500,000 high roller chips, took about 20 minutes, not including cleaning and removing residue. Labels come off pretty easy with an exacto blade under the edge (be careful not to gouge out the center with the tip), and then use your thumb to rub off any remaining adhesive from the chip. A bath in soapy water and a damp rag followed by a rinse in clean water will reduce any lingering CC aroma, and a wipe down with some 99% isopropanol (aka isopropyl) alcohol afterwards leaves a nice clean surface for the new labels.

One consideration is cost - $300 (30c per chip x 1000 chips) for custom labels is a lot considering the 1000 chips only cost $490, but the heart wants what the heart wants, so if it makes you happy, then do it! ABC makes custom and stock labels for the Royals, and could probably do a white version for you based on original artwork, or whatever design you provide. Gear is also an excellent resource for doing your own design, but AFAIK cannot do the actual Royals design for copyright reasons.

Welcome to the Royals club!

^ +1

Just did this to 50 of the grey $1 chips, turning them into $500,000 high roller chips, took about 20 minutes, not including cleaning and removing residue. Labels come off pretty easy with an exacto blade under the edge (be careful not to gouge out the center with the tip), and then use your thumb to rub off any remaining adhesive from the chip. A bath in soapy water and a damp rag followed by a rinse in clean water will reduce any lingering CC aroma, and a wipe down with some 99% isopropanol (aka isopropyl) alcohol afterwards leaves a nice clean surface for the new labels.

One consideration is cost - $300 (30c per chip x 1000 chips) for custom labels is a lot considering the 1000 chips only cost $490, but the heart wants what the heart wants, so if it makes you happy, then do it! ABC makes custom and stock labels for the Royals, and could probably do a white version for you based on original artwork, or whatever design you provide. Gear is also an excellent resource for doing your own design, but AFAIK cannot do the actual Royals design for copyright reasons.

Welcome to the Royals club!

Thank you so much! It’s starting to sound feasible. I’m a total noob when it comes to actually designing the labels but I’m gonna look into it. Would be really cool

Note that the 20 minutes was just to remove the 100 labels from 50 chips. Cleaning them up so that they are ready for labels takes more time, as does applying the labels. Not trying to discourage you, just making you aware that 1000 chips/2000 labels is an undertaking of some magnitude.

For a custom design, I suggest coming up with a fairly firm idea of what you want, sketching a mockup, and then finding a designer on PCF that can make it reality for you (@Timinator, @p5woody come immediately to mind, there are many others on this site).

GL!

Question for you guys - are self-labeled chips the same quality as the pre-labeled Royals? Like are the chips just labeled by hand with the same kind of sticky label?

Are these labels from ABC the same quality as Apache's custom labels?

https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/500-custom-poker-chips/
Inlays are printed on cast vinyl, then processed through a temperature controlled lamination system, then die cut to precisely fit the given poker chip diameter.

We use large format printers and a high quality vinyl substrate for imagery. Printed images are laminated using a high pressure/heat laminator which applies rigid polycarbonate lamination over the printed image. Digital die cutters cut each image to precisely fit the required chip diameter. Each poker chip is finished BY HAND to ensure accuracy of image placement.

Unlike others – notably those who print paper labels on laserjet printers and feel this qualifies as a custom poker chip – we use only the best materials on our chips. Our chips are manufactured to our specifications- notably a deeper recessed area to allow for the increased thickness of our high quality inlays.

Question for you guys - are self-labeled chips the same quality as the pre-labeled Royals? Like are the chips just labeled by hand with the same kind of sticky label?

Having just labeled 150 Royals with 300 custom ABC labels, I can say that the results are VERY close in appearance to the pre-labeled chips available from Apache. I also have a single stock label from Apache (one of my stock labeled chips was missing a single label from the factory, so Josh promptly sent me a replacement), and that is very similar in thickness and texture to the custom ones from ABC (the color of the backing paper is about the only really noticable difference). I think you would be hard pressed to spot any difference once they are applied.

Having said that, application of the labels is a bit tricky. The ABC labels are almost the exact same size as the recessed area, so it is a bit challenging to get the label to lay fully inside the recess without climbing up the edge. The labels are pretty tough and durable, so you can lift an edge up with an exacto blade to reposition it (several times) if required. Good lighting helps a lot.

Once you get it exactly centered, I used my thumb to press the label against the chip, then my thumbnail around the edge to fully seat the edge of the label. Out of the 300 applied labels, I think about 10 or so have very minor off-centeredness, but not so bad that you would notice without looking very closely.

For each 100 labels (for 50 chips) I ordered, ABC supplied 10 extras (enough for 5 chips), so if you mess up a few, it's not the end of the world. I only really messed up one label, and that's because I tried to fix an off-centered label by trimming it with an exacto blade rather than lifting and relocating it. Lesson learned, simply lift an edge, remove the label, and try again (and again if necessary).

And another thing, I think that it is important avoid touching the adhesive with your fingers. Use a blade to remove from the backing paper and placing the label in position. I believe that oils and dirt from your fingerprints can affect the adhesive, even if you wash your hands.

Happy labeling!

Just realized that you were referring to Apache custom labels compared to ABC custom labels, initially thought you were referring only to ABC labels vs. Royal stock labels.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Apache uses ABC labels for their custom sets that you linked to. You might want to check with Josh at Apache by PM on that.

The stock chips (with the Royal labels) come pre-labeled from China, and I'm pretty sure that they are done by hand there (again Josh could confirm this).

Be aware that some colors of the blank Royals are currently out of stock (grey and pink), so that may affect the ability to create a custom set to your liking at the moment. Restock is expected in May, but the virus outbreak in China may or may not affect delivery dates.

Just realized that you were referring to Apache custom labels compared to ABC custom labels, initially thought you were referring only to ABC labels vs. Royal stock labels.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Apache uses ABC labels for their custom sets that you linked to. You might want to check with Josh at Apache by PM on that.

The stock chips (with the Royal labels) come pre-labeled from China, and I'm pretty sure that they are done by hand there (again Josh could confirm this).

Be aware that some colors of the blank Royals are currently out of stock (grey and pink), so that may affect the ability to create a custom set to your liking at the moment. Restock is expected in May, but the virus outbreak in China may or may not affect delivery dates.

Thanks! I figured Apache's custom labels are the same as the premade ones. I may just get Majestics cause they're cheaper and easier, and add some hand labeled ones later, since it sounds like they'll match perfectly.

Thanks! I figured Apache's custom labels are the same as the premade ones. I may just get Majestics cause they're cheaper and easier, and add some hand labeled ones later, since it sounds like they'll match perfectly.
Do you have samples of each? If not, just spend a few bucks to see what each are like.

I may just get Majestics cause they're cheaper and easier, and add some hand labeled ones later, since it sounds like they'll match perfectly.
Do you have samples of each? If not, just spend a few bucks to see what each are like.
Absolutely get samples. Personally I love the Royals, and really don’t like the Majestics at all. Not trying to convince you one way or the other, but they are hugely different in look and feel, so make sure you are getting something you are happy with.

Absolutely get samples. Personally I love the Royals, and really don’t like the Majestics at all. Not trying to convince you one way or the other, but they are hugely different in look and feel, so make sure you are getting something you are happy with.

Thanks guys, I'd figured they all felt the same. I had planned to buy a few of each from Apache, who used to let you order say five $1 chips - but it seems they no longer let you do that, minimum 25 chips. So I'll just order the samples.

My samples came in the mail (Pharaoh's, Royals and Majestics). Honestly I can't really tell the difference in feel. I didn't really like the color of the inlays on the Pharaoh's, the kind of silvery white - makes me think of some old crappy Christmas wrapping paper that would leave silvery powder on my fingers.

So I'm gonna get the Majestics - maybe some Royals for the higher denom chips ($5000, $25,000). I might get $25 Pharaoh's for consistency to use with my Pharoah's Club, of which I don't have $25s.

I see why people's reviews of China Clays are mixed - I like them but only when you factor the cost. They look and sound great, but don't hold up to Paulsons in feel - still, just what I was looking for at this price.

New chipper request: I’m ordering 400 blank Royals for my first real set (since dice about 100 years ago). I’ve got my design down and will likely go with ABC for the labels. Since some of you are labeling thousands of chips, would anyone care to post a short video on what strategy you use to apply the labels. I’ve read a lot of your comments, but a quick video of your best strategy would help this noob out! Thanks in advance

New chipper request: I’m ordering 400 blank Royals for my first real set (since dice about 100 years ago). I’ve got my design down and will likely go with ABC for the labels. Since some of you are labeling thousands of chips, would anyone care to post a short video on what strategy you use to apply the labels. I’ve read a lot of your comments, but a quick video of your best strategy would help this noob out! Thanks in advance

I don't want to do a video but I used tweezers that have rubber tips, which I had already from work. I think any rounded metal tweezers would work though, you don't need the rubber protection, you just wouldn't want pointy tweezers. In fact this type might work better, the rubber was a bit too thick, you can't pry under the label, you have to bend the paper backing to lift up the label.

https://www.tedpella.com/tweezers-pelco_html/tweezers-flat-tip.htm

And I just would start applying the label and lift and reapply if you miss, you'll get the hang of it quickly, I wouldn't worry about it. I only had to get labels cause (a) some denominations of the Majestics were not available pre-labeled, and (b) I wanted to use blue for quarters instead of $10, which I didn't need.

Perhaps I'm a Neanderthal, but I simple peel off and apply by hand. Every now and then I'll get the centering sub-par, so I will take it off and re-apply it, but a strong laminated vinyl label will take the punishment.

I don't want to do a video but I used tweezers that have rubber tips, which I had already from work. I think any rounded metal tweezers would work though, you don't need the rubber protection, you just wouldn't want pointy tweezers. In fact this type might work better, the rubber was a bit too thick, you can't pry under the label, you have to bend the paper backing to lift up the label.

https://www.tedpella.com/tweezers-pelco_html/tweezers-flat-tip.htm

And I just would start applying the label and lift and reapply if you miss, you'll get the hang of it quickly, I wouldn't worry about it. I only had to get labels cause (a) some denominations of the Majestics were not available pre-labeled, and (b) I wanted to use blue for quarters instead of $10, which I didn't need.
Perhaps I'm a Neanderthal, but I simple peel off and apply by hand. Every now and then I'll get the centering sub-par, so I will take it off and re-apply it, but a strong laminated vinyl label will take the punishment.

I didn't use tweezers - I put the label on the side edge of the exacto blade (don't use your fingers - oils from fingerprints may affect adhesion) and placed the far edge of the label against the edge of the inner edge of the chip "inlay" area. Move it from slightly from side to side to center it, then press down on the label and slide the blade out. Press firmly all around the label (center first, then edges) to get out any air bubbles and ensure good contact. As @allforcharity said, if it is slightly off center, just slip the blade under the label (hopefully before you press it down completely), lift it up and re-center it.

Last edited:
I love that I got a response 1 year later, lol! Sometimes I look back and am embarrassed I posted some comments. I definitely just use my hands and I’m by no means an expert, but after a few hundred, you get much better!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom