Rounders 20 years! (1 Viewer)

Interesting comments. I always think of poker as just a boys night out - social and fun with some competition thrown in to spice it up.

I tend to think of poker players as getting a bad wrap and just being normal guys.

Then you see the other side of it - the current Eli Elezra mess is everything the average person is afraid of - big name players welching on debts, multi-accounting online, stories of pros setting up mechanics to cheat rich players, degenerate players going broke, threats of violence

You can see why people outside the game might have a different viewpoint.

I feel about the same as you do, and I'll defend poker all day and night, but I'd be lying if I were to say it doesn't have its ugly side. If you stick to the best games—traditional, unraked home games, for the most part—you'll be spared from crossing paths with it often, but it's pretty prevalent in public cardrooms and underground games.

I think I can agree with you on that, actually. (Just alright - couldn't empathize) Though it's been a very long time since I saw it and I don't even remember it very well right now.

Agreed, whether you are turned off about the cheating aspect of mike and worm building their role back, one things for sure, this movie lit a spark in millions of people to learn or try the game.

I don't mind the story.... but the dude's reactions are just horrid.

I enjoyed the movie Rounders, but I would recommend if you haven't already watched the movie is Mollys Game
I thought it was really good! Mollys Game is a biographical drama based on the real life story of Molly Bloom who becomes the target of an FBI investigation of the underground poker empire she runs for Hollywood celebrities, athletes, business tyco. If you haven't watched you may want to check it out.

What drives me crazy is that he sat down with 6k at 300/600 table and blinded out for an hour and still, miraculously, had enough to raise and reraise enough to get someone to fold. Let's assume 15 hands per hour...he's through the blinds twice, so down to $4200. Standard raise of 3x is 1800, first reraise to 4000, all in for 200 more, Chan folds! Yeah, that could happen...and I reiterate, he definitely would have banged Petra on the rebound!

What drives me crazy is that he sat down with 6k at 300/600 table and blinded out for an hour and still, miraculously, had enough to raise and reraise enough to get someone to fold. Let's assume 15 hands per hour...he's through the blinds twice, so down to $4200. Standard raise of 3x is 1800, first reraise to 4000, all in for 200 more, Chan folds! Yeah, that could happen...and I reiterate, he definitely would have banged Petra on the rebound!
I just assumed it was limit for it to make any sense, but everything in the movie is NL so I dunno haha

So besides Rounders and Molly's Game, what other poker movies are worth watching?

What drives me crazy is that he sat down with 6k at 300/600 table and blinded out for an hour and still, miraculously, had enough to raise and reraise enough to get someone to fold.

Right? They were operating on the idea that the public didn't understand the game.

Another maffs is hard moment: $10,000 check -- ignore the check cashing fee. Double it to $20,000. Then double it again to $40,000. Minus $15,000 to KGB/Gramma. Minus $10,000 back to Petrovsky. Minus the other $5,000 back to the Chesterfield ...Leaves $30,000?!?

Last edited:
What drives me crazy is that he sat down with 6k at 300/600 table and blinded out for an hour
Sits with 10BB, folds for an hour,

Actually, he "mostly folded". To quote Newt: "Mostly". When he didn't fold, the Mike I know would be "Tellin' jokes, draggin' the occasional pot."

Standard raise of 3x is 1800
Actually, the action is on the flop, you can see three community card. And:
I just assumed it was limit
Correct, it's limit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom