Round vs Oval Table for up to 8 Players (2 Viewers)

floppydisk

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi all. For up to 8 players, would you prefer to play on an 84” oval Barrington type table or a 59” round table? Been looking at local classifieds and trying to weigh the options. I know a round table makes dealing easy, but does it sacrifice too much elbow room? Thanks!

Playing on @CraigT78 's rounds definitely made me a convert. It also makes the game much more social. I'm going to be looking to see if I can fit 2 rounds in my basement where I currently have my oval table. I think the only advantage to the big oval table is that you can fit more people around it (mine fits 10+dealer comfortably), but you really need to deal from the center of the table. I deal full time at my game, it seems like there are always exposed cards or dealing errors from the corners. On a round I wouldn't have to.

I have 56" round tables and have 8 players for my monthly tournaments.

Round >>>>>> Oval for self delt games and it isn't even close.
100%
To me, ovals are necessary if you’re gonna have 9 or 10 people at the table or if the room dimensions won’t accommodate a round (or an octagon.) But ovals suck for self dealt games, for sight lines for play, and for socialization. They’re a scourge on the hobby!

I wish I had made a round table when I built mine. It's just all around the better solution for a home game unless you have a dedicated dealer and always want to seat 9 or 10 people.

I'm building a table which I was planning on an oval but reading this thread, and other on Rounds, I'm rethinking.

My games will all be self-dealt 8max and the "more social" aspect of a round table has a real appeal. It's gives a little less space per player - my (2100mm x 1200mm) oval gives~700mm per person vs ~600mm on a 5ft (~1500mm) round ... but the latter increases more as players sit back so that shouldn't be a major issue - players aren't hunched over the table with their elbows on the rail that much.

Not feeling cramped is top of my list of requirements - especially if there are a few larger than average people seated. I think I need to hunt out pics of full 8 handed Rounds and see what that looks like. I'm also planning on small drinks/snacks tables between each player so need to factor that in as well - although that would again favour Rounds I think.

ho-hum

I'm building a table which I was planning on an oval but reading this thread, and other on Rounds, I'm rethinking.

My games will all be self-dealt 8max and the "more social" aspect of a round table has a real appeal. It's gives a little less space per player - my (2100mm x 1200mm) oval gives~700mm per person vs ~600mm on a 5ft (~1500mm) round ... but the latter increases more as players sit back so that shouldn't be a major issue - players aren't hunched over the table with their elbows on the rail that much.

Not feeling cramped is top of my list of requirements - especially if there are a few larger than average people seated. I think I need to hunt out pics of full 8 handed Rounds and see what that looks like. I'm also planning on small drinks/snacks tables between each player so need to factor that in as well - although that would again favour Rounds I think.

ho-hum
20220826_132923.jpg

8 players round table.

How big is that table?

edit: also more comparison pics in this thread - vereing back towards oval at the moment - the Rounds look a bit cramp to me and it's difficult to go bigger without introducing reach problems ... and those problems will be for all not just those at the ends with Ovals.

Last edited:
How big is that table?

edit: also more comparison pics in this thread - vereing back towards oval at the moment - the Rounds look a bit cramp to me and it's difficult to go bigger without introducing reach problems ... and those problems will be for all not just those at the ends with Ovals.
Total diameter is 56"
Rail is 7" when covered, so probably 5.5" cut out.
That leaves a playable surface of ~43.5"

Soooooooooooo it sounds like my next build should be a round table. I’ll still keep the ovals for the bigger tourneys, but most of my games max at 8 right now.

Thanks for bringing this question up @floppydisk!!

Soooooooooooo it sounds like my next build should be a round table. I’ll still keep the ovals for the bigger tourneys, but most of my games max at 8 right now.

Thanks for bringing this question up @floppydisk!!
I was also surprised. I thought it might be more split down the middle with pros and cons. But for 8 max there seems to be a round consensus. I do want to promote the social aspect as that’s why I’m throwing a poker night to begin with.

Well @Seeking Alpha Social Club is a HUGE advocate for the round club... personally I have never felt comfortable at round tables, not a fan of the reach, almost always feel cramped unless it is less than 8 players. I much prefer an Oval myself.

Well I say round but @Seeking Alpha Social Club likes whatever this is
20210130_185515.jpg

I guess that's an octagon! Lol

8 of us packed around Ole Gunnys Round beauty
Screenshot_20210116-001117_Samsung Internet.jpg

That one is quite cramped with 8 players.

@Highli99 had a beaut custom made
20220122_195827.jpg

Not sure the measurements but this one is comfy (I haven't plaid on it with 8 yet though)

Another option to consider for 8 is what the call a "pub Oval"
20220629_191500.jpg

Fantastic table for 8 players, this one belongs to @longflop
20220728_234546.jpg

Plenty of space but still close. My 84" has 10 cup holders but I consider it a "pub"8 player max table
20211002_203254.jpg

Hard to Guage the size there, so bottom of the screen here.
20211002_143224.jpg

Perfect 8 player set up IMO.

I guess to each their own, I like the space of ovals over even an 60" round if it is a full 8 players.

What do you do for folding legs on a round table?

I think @Highli99 has folders on his round table? He would know or could explain better.
Mine is a Gorilla table and they don’t do folding legs on round tables, so it’s a solid base that’s very stable.

image.jpg

I played for years on a 60 inch banquet table with folding legs and I can tell you that players would always get there early just to avoid having to straddle the legs. It was very awkward for one or two that drew that seat.

have to admit, pre- Did, id asked Craig to not have BBtable at the round table, but it worked out great.

7+ dealer was good. Not wow. but good, very doable.

7 no dealer would be perfect for spacing.

6+ dealer would be heaven.

Whats the size of your purple round table @CraigT78 ?

have to admit, pre- Did, id asked Craig to not have BBtable at the round table, but it worked out great.

7+ dealer was good. Not wow. but good, very doable.

7 no dealer would be perfect for spacing.

6+ dealer would be heaven.

Whats the size of your purple round table @CraigT78 ?
Total diameter is 56"

Just mocking up my table as a Round ... compared to my currently planned oval and the side-by-side helped me see the difference better.

(I'm also planning on having small swing out tables with cup holders and room for phones/snacks etc which measure 150x250mm (6"x10") so need room for those.)

GsBY7DB.png

ScvQIS6.png

Round looks visibly tighter - which it is of course by 10cm per seat

Bbeg1Is.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom