Round Table Upcycle (1 Viewer)

ruskba

Flush
Reaction score
Bought a 54” round table off Craigslist like 16 months ago with the intentions of making it a poker table. Hoping it’s the best $20 I’ve spent.

I don’t have a before picture so just pretend the playing surface isn’t there. I just slapped it down on top of the table, nothing special.

I used blue unsuited speed cloth over 1/4” volara. Really not a fan of the cloth since my other table has the fancy stuff like @T_Chan uses. So I’ll probably replace it sooner rather than later.

Next is the rail. Since I like the decorative nails that are already on the base, I’d rather not build a standard rail which would look weird. Gonna try and make something that’s the same diameter and just sits on top, then probably use some T nuts to hold it in place. Anyone done this and have any tips on things to look out for? Also considering doing a raised rail with just two layers of ply to add some height, but just upholster over it all.

More progress pics to come as I slowly work on it.

Anyone freehand cut with a router? I’m trying to cut two half circles from a sheet of ply and free handing seems difficult to get anywhere close to a smooth circle. Also feel like I have to have my nose basically in the router base to see the line I want to cut. Thinking of going back to the trusty jig saw.

I know, I can make a jig for the router. But it’s more work and I’m lazy.

Bonus: I did have a “before” pic of the table top. It looks much like you’d expect, but for completeness, here it is.

Makes me feel better to know I’m not just inept. Haven’t found a jig online that cuts 54” diameter.

Time to get the jigsaw back from my mother in law.
There is an extension for the compass I posted. I have cut several 60” tables using it and two 66” tables.

Last edited:
I’ve had about an hour each of the last few nights to make progress. 1 of 4 rail pieces completed, 3 more inner cuts to go. Might have a rail by the end of the weekend!

They are slightly more than half circles, to make using the circle jig easier. And I thought it might help later when I join them together, so we’ll see soon.

Well, it’s done. The upholstery job is garbage, but whatever. I don’t have the skills or the patience. After finishing the rail, I didn’t like how it sat on the playing surface, so I cut the surface foam down so the rail sits flush with the table. Made it a lot better in both looks and stability. Don’t think I need to do anything to attach the rail to the table, even without an overlap.

78C683FE-1187-4E86-BE7F-2D90987050E1.jpeg

If I upgrade the playing surface, I’ll probably pay to have the rail redone. The Reno suede from YAT was not my favorite material to work with, though it is quite comfortable. The table is also about an inch higher than I’d prefer, so maybe I’ll figure out a way to shorten it in the future. But I’ll do as a secondary table for now.

Did you install t-nuts for the rail? Makes attachment easy.

CD9B74B3-2C0E-4DE7-B20F-844B58DE5793.jpeg
3DD2D893-1B7E-4F66-89F8-218FDC849B6C.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom