Round poker table build video (2 Viewers)

Better option IMHO is to search Craigslist for 48" round pedestal (claw foot) tables with possibly a beat up or scratched top surface. These can be had for around $100. You then create a rail for it with lumber. then felt/upholster everything. WAY nicer finished product. You can't buy a new claw foot base for under $200.

Good description of a basic process.

Minor quibbles:

Video shows the foam being left flat when upholstering; the foam should wrap up when you do this. Worst part of the video is when they cut the star into the vinyl and then fold bits up to staple, but leave the foam ring flat.

Also, the video doesn't say enough about stretching when upholstering - this is an ART. If you don't stretch, your fabric will move and bunch up in play. If you stretch too much, it pulls out from your staples or tacks. If you stretch unevenly, your weave/pattern is distorted. And the right tension for the felt is not the same tension as for your rail, and both are material-dependent. There's a lot of room here for good or bad craftsmanship!

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Caveat: I played the video with no audio, so maybe this is all covered...

The audio is just space music.

You bring up a good point about the stretching, everyone I know who builds speaks to this.

Those are pretty much the same steps for any full felt table. If you're thinking about a build. Keep in mind that this size may not be comfortable for more than six players, I think.

I agree that a 48" table doesn't seat more than 6 players comfortably. I built a 54" round to fit 8 more comfortably, which meant I had to find 5' x 5' plywood, not usually sold at a the Lowes Depot type places. There was a lumber place nearby though that had the 5' stuff in 3/4 thickness, so I got lucky there.

Couple things I'd say after watching the video -

1) finding the center is more easily and accurately done by making a mark from the corners diagonally, instead of the edges of the wood. You can see it on the pic below from my build. Also, a router with a circle jig is a much cleaner and exact tool than a jigsaw. If you want a racetrack, use a router with jig for a cleaner cut. I'd recommend a 1/4 shank bit for tables with a racetrack. With a router and a pattern bit you can also make exact copies of the circles and other pieces.

22IDgwe.jpg

2) No overhang of the 1/4 foam for the playing surface, which it looks like they have in the video. Cut the playing surface foam flush to the wood. An electric knife works really well for cutting foam.

woGkc0K.jpg

Here's a cross section of my table, not showing cup holder rings.

S5YI0e6.png

I literally just used the same video (but oval) to build my first ever table. I think it came out ok. :)

image.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom