Cash Game Roughly Equivalent Stake between NLH vs 2-7 Single Draw NL (1 Viewer)

LeLe

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Having a little burn-out from just playing NLH & PLO, our group will like to try 2-7 Single Draw NL in the next home game to spice up the game

Will like to know how much different is the Stake between NLH vs 2-7 Single Draw NL?

Are they similar ? Our regular NLH stake are 50c/$1 for example

Do we need to add in an BB Ante too as there only 2 betting rounds? if so how much should the BB Ante be

Thanks in advance

It's tough to quantify, but the stakes need to be about 1.5 - 2x as big in NL 2-7.

This most important thing is that it is played with an ante and you CANNOT limp. You must bring it in for a raise.

The per player ante is half the SB. If you do it as a single BB or Button ante, then it's SB+BB.

I'd simply start at the same stakes with the ante and kick it up as necessary.

It's tough to quantify, but the stakes need to be about 1.5 - 2x as big in NL 2-7.

This most important thing is that it is played with an ante and you CANNOT limp. You must bring it in for a raise.
Thanks, was not aware of the Not limping rule for NL 2-7

Probably just switch to $1/$1 with a $2 BB ante.
Thanks, $1/$1 with $2 bb ante seem to be a good stake to start

Since the BB ante is higher than BB, I going to assume if standard opening bet is 3x ; it should be base on BB Ante which is $6 for 2-7 NL ?

Thanks, was not aware of the Not limping rule for NL 2-7

Thanks, $1/$1 with $2 bb ante seem to be a good stake to start

Since the BB ante is higher than BB, I going to assume if standard opening bet is 3x ; it should be base on BB Ante which is $6 for 2-7 NL ?
There is no opening size rule obviously. If you watch tournament play, which is about the only way this is played outside of some high stakes big bet mix games, the opening size is typically 2.2 - 3bb just like NLHE. It's more a function of stack size than blind and ante size. In cash, the opens might be larger. But any time you can open for less than what is already in the middle and get folds, you should do it.

The thing that happens more in 2-7 compared to NLHE are large post draw bets. You tend to see more 75% - 125% pot size bets post draw as people are often way more polarized when betting post draw.

If you want some general strategy advice, I made a post somewhere about that.

Strategy stuff

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/any-good-book-about-2-7-single-draw-nl.86009/post-1765382

More strategy stuff

Unlike triple draw, deuces aren't that important in single draw. When you snow you'd much rather have hands like 8899x, 8s or 9s full with the pair being 9 or less, and maybe trip 9s. 8s and 9s are the real money winners in single draw. So blocking those is way more important that having a bunch of 2s or even 7s.

In terms of made hands, remember there are only:

4 sevens
14 eights
34 nines
69 tens
125 jacks

There are more 9s than 8s and 7s combined, almost double. And there are more tens than 9s, 8s, and 7s combined.

Strategy stuff

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/any-good-book-about-2-7-single-draw-nl.86009/post-1765382

More strategy stuff

Unlike triple draw, deuces aren't that important in single draw. When you snow you'd much rather have hands like 8899x, 8s or 9s full with the pair being 9 or less, and maybe trip 9s. 8s and 9s are the real money winners in single draw. So blocking those is way more important that having a bunch of 2s or even 7s.

In terms of made hands, remember there are only:

4 sevens
14 eights
34 nines
69 tens
125 jacks

There are more 9s than 8s and 7s combined, almost double. And there are more tens than 9s, 8s, and 7s combined.
Thanks, This is super helpful

This is how we do it.

We play dealers choice r x r. We play .25/.50 with a $100 max buy in. Most of the games that we play are pot limit. We did play three rounds of NL 2-7 single draw. We keep the blinds at .25/.50, but we play with a minimum bet of $2 bucks. Its no limit, so the bet can be anything between $2.00 and ????????

We also keep the folded hands separate from the discards just in case they need to be shuffled back in.

We play dealers choice r x r. We play .25/.50 with a $100 max buy in. Most of the games that we play are pot limit. We did play three rounds of NL 2-7 single draw. We keep the blinds at .25/.50, but we play with a minimum bet of $2 bucks. Its no limit, so the bet can be anything between $2.00 and ????????
The plan is to mix it up and play different type of games, hopefully we can do dealer choice in the future when the group are more comfortable with it

We also keep the folded hands separate from the discards just in case they need to be shuffled back in.
We mostly played 5-6 handed so a full deck are just about enough even if everyone want to gamble and swap 5 cards for fun

From my experience teaching this game, you'll find that people "limp" for the min raise a lot. And that people will play hands that need to draw more than 1 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too often. And if they know to NOT draw more than 1, they will draw to stuff like Ts and Js.

This game is typically played no more than 7 handed. And with newer players even 7 might put you in a spot to have to reshuffle. If you are ever short just 1 or 2 cards on after the draw, just shuffle the burns and deal it from there. Way faster and better than shuffling all the discards.

If were playing no limit single draw, we will play 7 handed. If were playing seven handed I always insist on keeping the pre folds separate. We don't have to use them often. Most of our guys aren't limping for the min $2 bucks, but it does happen occasionally.

The plan is to mix it up and play different type of games, hopefully we can do dealer choice in the future when the group are more comfortable with it

I almost exclusively host Dealers Choice. We play round x round. It works great. We pretty much play anything on @abby99 card list. The favorites are 2-7 single draw, big o, double board PLO, draw2maha, and scarney. Friday night we played a round of scrotum, 3-2-1, and a few others that don't always make an appearance.

Outside of Scarney, which is the literal worst game in existence until I see something worse, this is a mix I'd be pretty happy to play.

You hate scarney until you love scarney. I don't know how else to say it lol.

There is more information available in scarney than possibly any other game. Is there some gamble to it, absolutely. I don't think anymore than in drawmaha or scrotum.

From my experience teaching this game, you'll find that people "limp" for the min raise a lot. And that people will play hands that need to draw more than 1 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too often. And if they know to NOT draw more than 1, they will draw to stuff like Ts and Js.
Knowing my group, we play super loosey-goosey. I suspect they will Over-buffed a lot too if they play it like our NL regular game

I almost exclusively host Dealers Choice. We play round x round. It works great. We pretty much play anything on @abby99 card list. The favorites are 2-7 single draw, big o, double board PLO, draw2maha, and scarney. Friday night we played a round of scrotum, 3-2-1, and a few others that don't always make an appearance.
Look like a good mix of Mixed game to try out in future

You hate scarney until you love scarney. I don't know how else to say it lol.

There is more information available in scarney than possibly any other game. Is there some gamble to it, absolutely. I don't think anymore than in drawmaha or scrotum.
Agreed. My main complaint with scarney is that it takes forever....but, that's not really a problem since I kind of enjoy it. IMO, there is a good amount less 'gamble' in scarney than in scrotum or draw games. As you said, you have much more information on an opponent's scarney hand than you do in a game like scrotum based on the discard board.

Agreed. My main complaint with scarney is that it takes forever....but, that's not really a problem since I kind of enjoy it. IMO, there is a good amount less 'gamble' in scarney than in scrotum or draw games. As you said, you have much more information on an opponent's scarney hand than you do in a game like scrotum based on the discard board.
While true, the issue is that starting hands ranges mean much less in this game then others. Not that they mean nothing mind you. But the skill is just mathing out the potential ranges once you start seeing all the stuff that is discarded. Seeing your hand fall apart isn't fun. And any game where more than 2 hole cards can play makes the nuts harder to fully realize. This is offset some in Scarney by the discards and amount of cards seen, but isn't something I think is very fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom