Road to Recovery (1 Viewer)

Kain8

Flush
Reaction score
3 weeks ago, I'm driving to work as per normal. The weather and road conditions were causing everyone to slow down, going 70 km/h (45 mph) instead of the usual 100 km/h (62 mph). Even so, many cars were in the ditches, with tow trucks everywhere. I'm on the last stretch before my exit to get to work when my tires lock up. I'm skidding on black ice and there's a tow truck parked off to the side. It's a done deal that I'm going to skid right into the tow truck so I brace for impact and my driver's side collides with the arm of the truck.

Ambulance and firefighters help me out of the car and I'm taken to the hospital. I'm laid up for 4 days with my only injury being a couple broken ribs. Mobility was a nightmare at first pain wise. But day after day, you can do a little more than the day before.

I was finally at the point where I could drive again, so yesterday I was able to go down to the salvage yard and get my belongings that were still in the car and get my insurance settlement. My wife wanted me to take a picture of the wreck for morbid curiosity so I figure I'd share it here too!

Just a sobering reminder that things can change in an instant, so try not to take anything for granted. Thanks for reading.

24254847_10159624470745285_490457074498125636_o.jpg

Wow, best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

I sent your pic to a good friend up in Regina, who is known to occasionally overdrive conditions, as a warning.

Last edited:
Yikes, I'm pretty sure I topped out at 20 km/h on Albert St. that morning in all the traffic.Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Man, judging by the damage and the fact that the car was t-boned right in the driver side :eek:, you're damn lucky you escaped with just a couple of broken ribs. Hug your wife and kid and knock (1) off of your obvious (9) lives.

Here's to a speedy recovery, broken ribs suck I know. :)

OMG! Glad you are recovering well and everything is working out for you. You are correct that things can change in an instant. Having gone through some recent changes I am well aware of how we should not take things for granted. You also find during these times who your true family and friends are and also find out how blessed you are.

Glad all is going well and I wish you a full and speedy recovery!

David

Oof, I had one of those a long time ago. Something like that can lead to a mold form of PTSD even though you were ok. Don't discount it but face it head on if it happens.

Dang! If you ever get the urge to smash a car up like that again I highly suggest doing it drunk. In my years of responding to traffic accidents it seemed weird that the drunk crumples his car and walks away but his victim, whose car is in better shape, is coming out on a backboard, or worse. I was at a training conference and I shared my observation with one of the instructors who was a trauma surgeon. Without batting an eye he said oh yes, that's absolutely true. Drunks tend to be very relaxed so they just kind of flop around with seat belts and airbags keeping them from going too far. They roll with the punches so to speak. It causes a lot of whiplash but that often doesn't present until about the time they sober up. On the other hand, the sober people who can see the accident coming like you did tense up and break things as their rigid body smashes into stuff.

People who fall asleep are in the middle. A sleeping, but sober person who senses the car going out of control or the driver taking evasive action will somewhat tense up; it's the same instinct that keeps us from falling out of bed.

Regardless, I'm just glad you're here to tell the tale!

Yes, very true, tensing up usually is worse for you than being all limp and going with the flow of the accident, so to speak. Easier said than done since our natural instinct is to tense up against an impact like that. Glad you came out of it!

I'm glad you were able to recover from that! Wow.

giphy.gif

Glad to hear your ok! God speed on your recovery.

One lucky fu**er. Good on you, sir. Every day is a gift. LL&P.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom