Risk of milling (1 Viewer)

Kid_Eastwood

Full House
Reaction score
Hi,

I look on the forum but could not really find an answer.

I’d like to understand the risks of milling a hotstamped chip ? Does it become more fragile ?

Is it more risky to mill used chips ? Since they are already thinner than a very good condition or mint chip, is there a risk they will be more fragile ?

Kid.

@Thomacetti ah you have a rig ?

I've used THC with non-laminated labels and I'm considering milling them and get laminated labels.

They are pretty used. They are the "fair condition" Cal-Neva.

Last edited:
@w00zie I know @OlNoiShi is doing fantastic job. No doubt about it.

My question was more about if this process would make (used / worn) chips more fragile.

I think any time you remove material thickness from a chip the fraility can increase. If it's just enough for a label then I don't think it actually increases the probability it will break with "normal" use, though scientifically I think the tolerances are decreased for situations where you drop the chip, or roll over it with a chair, etc.

And if you start with a thinner chip that is milled to become thinner,I think the structural integrity lessens, but again, might increase the possibility but maybe not the actual probability it will break.

@wonderpuddle
@JeepologyOffroad

Haven't tried it yet, but I do believe that the milling will make a well-used chip (or any chip) more fragile. Now, haviing said this, @Gear has milled some of these exact worn chips for another customer, and they turned out fine. I think it really depends on how careful your process is, and do you have enough fine control over the milling depth to take off just the amount of material you need. I'm assuming you want to mill because you want a fully laminated label to go on after.

I have try to broke a worn milled THC, it's almost impossible. Even when i put lot of pressure on the milled part, nothing happens.

Perhaps if you made a really deep milling, chips could be weakened but if your players don't try to broke them by pushing strong on the label it will not be a problem imho.

Last edited:
I’d like to understand the risks of milling a hotstamped chip ? Does it become more fragile ?
No. For the amount you will remove, there's no noticeable weakening of the chip. Hell, I've screwed up a few too many testing my CNC machine and they are still solid chips.
1573924962608769251962169967953.jpg

I have only milled a couple racks but I am about to do a much larger project. Technically yes you would make it more fragile since you are maki. It thinner. But you are removing very little material and theoretically not much thinner if none at all thinner than the hotstamps penetrated. I haven’t seen any comments ever on this forum referencing chip breakage in regular use due to milling.

I'm only a couple racks in, but the only risk I see is not centering the chip perfectly. Once the bit hits the chip - you are committed to that location. The more effort you put into the design of the rig, the better off you'll be. (I'm sure there are 'weaker' chips though, IE who and when they were manufactured)

PS; do yourself a favor and get the (2712)Magnate 7/8" Bottom Cleaning bit (1/4" shank for most home use drill presses). There are a few cheaper options but I've heard some issues with having a truly flat cutting blade that goes across the entirety of the blade.
IMG_8143.jpg

Last edited:
I have try to broke a worn milled THC, it's almost impossible. Even when i put lot of pressure on the milled part, nothing happens.

Perhaps if you made a really deep milling, chips could be weakened but if your players don't try to broke them by pushing strong on the label it will not be a problem imho.

I even milled out the whole inside part and used the THC ring for keychain holder.
I had it for months before one of the little ones broke it when she dropped them on concrete.
Paulson have some 'flex' versus BCC & ASM (hard & more brittle)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom