RIP Ric Ocasek [THE CARS] (1 Viewer)

“You might think” was one of the backdrop songs of my youth. Not my favorite backdrop song, but one of them. Meh. RIP. Fuck dying.

I’ve been a fan for like 40 years. Saw them in 1985 and they were terrible live! RIP Ric and Ben, damn I feel old!
Not a live band. Put their poster on the wall and play the album was about the same as Cars show. Except for Drive, which was an epic tune to see .

The Cars were a bit before my time. However, I remember as a teenager digging through an older friends CD collection and stumbling across IIRC was their double album I put it on and was totally blown away. I can't say I was a die hard fan or anything but these guys rocked even after their time in the sun.

Sad. Just saw a double tribute band for the Cars and Tom Petty last Friday night. So many great songs.
Get ready cuz a lot of legendary rockers are gonna be gone within next decade :(

My "Brush w/Ric Ocasek Story":
I Always enjoyed The Cars , being into the New Wave / Punk music in the late 70's / 80's time ..
Just a bit over a year ago, a tall, 6'7" or so guy in his 70's, walks into my small retail electronics shop ... Black leather jacket , cool ... I should have immediately recognized him, but I didn't, however there was just this very, very real odd familiar "feeling" he was "somebody", or, nah, ... perhaps , ...... he was just an aging rocker wannabe hippie ......
He comes back again few days later with his son, Oliver, who needed some radio parts.. And, after staring at him a bit, .. then it clicked, It's Ric F*ckin Ocasek is standing in my store, asking me questions!
Really nice Guy, they spent about an hour browsing, talking, no one else in the place except Me & them , and spent $300 .. I eventually acknowledged to him I knew who he was, but I didn't want to "bother" him for any photos or selfie ...
When he paid with his odd color American Express Card, I noticed his real name on the card was Richard Otcasek , not Ocasek .....
RIP Ric ....

IMAG0406.jpg

Last edited:
My "Brush w/Ric Ocasek Story":
I Always enjoyed The Cars , being into the New Wave / Punk music in the late 70's / 80's time ..
Just a bit over a year ago, a tall, 6'7" or so guy in his 70's, walks into my small retail electronics shop ... Black leather jacket , cool ... I should have immediately recognized him, but I didn't, however there was just this very, very real odd familiar "feeling" he was "somebody", or, nah, ... perhaps , ...... he was just an aging rocker wannabe hippie ......
He comes back again few days later with his son, Oliver, who needed some radio parts.. And, after staring at him a bit, .. then it clicked, It's Ric F*ckin Ocasek is standing in my store, asking me questions!
Really nice Guy, they spent about an hour browsing, talking, no one else in the place except Me & them , and spent $300 .. I eventually acknowledged to him I knew who he was, but I didn't want to "bother" him for any photos or selfie ...
When he paid with his odd color American Express Card, I noticed his real name on the card was Richard Otcasek , not Ocasek .....
RIP Ric ....

View attachment 341928
Cool story @Blaster.
R.I.P. Mr. Otcasek

The Cars were a bit before my time. However, I remember as a teenager digging through an older friends CD collection and stumbling across IIRC was their double album I put it on and was totally blown away. I can't say I was a die hard fan or anything but these guys rocked even after their time in the sun.
Just watch the pool scene with Phoebe Cates
from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Background music is The Cars. (Moving in stereo)
Great song! Hot scene! Fun movie from the 80s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom