Resources for Super Hold’em/ Hollywood Hold’em (1 Viewer)

Geremie

Full House
Reaction score
Are there any resources (odds calculators or starting hand matrices) for Super Hold’em / Hollywood hold’em?

Both are three hole card hold’em games.

I’m interested to see how that variation changes the odds, hand matchups, etc.

All ears here too. Very much interested in all three-hole card games, and a proud (re-)inventor of at least one of them:LOL: :laugh:
Btw, how is Hollywood hold'em like?

All ears here too. Very much interested in all three-hole card games, and a proud (re-)inventor of at least one of them:LOL: :laugh:
Btw, how is Hollywood hold'em like?
It’s interesting. It brings a new dynamic to the NLHE tourneys that we normally play. Especially since there’s not a lot of information out there so it plays more like a feel game than a calculating game

We play super holdem - high/low every week in a week night mixed game. hold'em / Omaha high/low / super holdem high/low. I have some suggestions.

Play "three card hands" strongly. A three card hand is one where all three cards can be combined to make a high or low.

In most cases a three card low hand with an eight in it can lead to trouble. Play with caution or fold preflop unless the hand has other potential

Straights are for suckers. If the money is going in fast, the straight is no good.

A three card flush is extra powerful if there are three low cards. I avoid three card flushing hands with nine or ten high draws.

A2(brick) is not very playable. A2 does not make the nut low very often and can lead to surprises when the "nut low" in Omaha loses to a three card low.

Small pairs lead to playing for only half the pot and risk playing underful vs overfull. Your pair should be at least nines, but better if they are face cards. Think something like QQJ. This is a fit/fold sort of hand. Miss the flop and normally you are done.

Know your villains. There is a lot of money to be made being able to read who is going low and who is going high.

You almost never hold the nut, no matter what you might think. Even quads might not be the nuts . . . just saying

Have fun! -=- DrStrange

Awesome advice! If we incorporate hi-lo, I’ll have to change my play up a bit to try to protect against quartering or playing marginal hands for 1/2 pots. Seems like A23 single suit would be a very powerful starting hand.

We actually play these games in a NL tourney format with “hi-only”...it’s only been a couple times so far but the group loves it.

My thoughts for starting hands are:
1) pocket trips
2) Ace with any two (KQJ10) suited
3) Axx suited
4) three connectors suited
5) pockets (only looking to set mine)

But it’s tough to figure out if I’m over/under valuing hands.

What does 2-2-2 vs JQKs look like for equity?

Is AA2off favorite over 678suited or 678off?

If no one has an equity calc I can try to make one

Edit: might take a while, it’s not in my wheelhouse

Last edited:
Games like super holdem where you have 3 usable cards in the hole don't play great IMO. There will always be a possible flush on all community card run-outs, possible quads are always out there, etc. My group likes lazy pineapple better where only 2 of the 3 hole cards play.

Hollywood also plays better in my view since only two individual cards are unexposed. Interesting hybrid of stud and holdem.

Games like super holdem where you have 3 usable cards in the hole don't play great IMO. There will always be a possible flush on all community card run-outs, possible quads are always out there, etc.
Super Hold'em Hi/Lo actually plays much better with only four community board cards -- using just a two-card flop, turn, and river. Possible flushes are no longer guaranteed, and odds are reduced for hitting quads, full houses, or a qualifying low hand.

Ken Lo has a chapter on Crazy Pineapple 8 in his mixed games book that is probably relevant for Super strategy as well. I would think one significant obvious difference would be that 3 of a kind in the hole becomes super premium and 3 to a suit goes way up in value, especially if connected and/or with one or more high cards. My players don't really like Super so we don't play it very much so I did the super scientific exercise of dealing out 10 orbits, letting 3 or 4 better hands see the flop and 2-3 show down. The median showdown hand was the nut flush with 40% of hand being a full house or better. Compare the same exercise in holdem where I got median showdown of 2 pair and only 10% FH or better (bet it's really lower than this). So SHE showdown strength has to be SIGNIFICANTLY higher. Facing lots of action post flop feels like you'd want a strong full house to continue. A paired board pretty much demands a full house since even an unpaired board could make a concealed FH. Anyway my two cents with no real experience on this particular variant.

With Hollywood wouldn't starting hand strength be similar to stud? From there I feel like it plays similar to holdem. The additional card improves hand strength but not to the degree of Omaha due to one less card and also the exposed card giving you more visibility. Much easier to consider accurate hand ranges for this reason too. Also important to remember folded hole cards for counting outs. Odds to hit your outs is slightly higher because of your extra hole card and the dead cards. At a 10 handed table it's more like the rule of 3 and 5 instead of the rule of 2 and 4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom