Request for feedback for a CPC hotstamp set (1 Viewer)

Kid_Eastwood

Full House
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering making a hotstamp CPC set.
This would be a tournament set with the following denominations : T100, T500, T1000 and T5000.

I want to give it a classic/old school look.
The logo (already done) will be stamped on one face, the denomination will be stamped on the other side.

For a tournament set, I prefer all denom with the same spot pattern.
I started from the Charcoal T100 and arc Yellow T1000 and create the set around this starting point.

The_Bank_Tournament_CPC_Mockup.png

I know there's nothing too fancy but would be glad to read your opinion about the colors choice. Do you think they work well together ? I don't think there would be any risk of dirty stacks but I prefer to double check. ...

I'll post a pic with the stamp design later today. The stamp will be silver foil.

Kid.

Last edited:
Now, I'm doubting if the fact that both spots colors of the T100 are very close to the base color of the T1000 is not problematic...
I don't think that this is a problem but I'm not 100% convinced...

A T100 in a stack of T1000 is fine.
But not 100% sure about a T1000 in a stack of T100.

dirty_stack.jpg

Personal opinion, the spots dont work with the chip colors. It just feels like a random mish-mash instead of cohesive.

edit to add, if you want an "old school" feel, then go with 314. That was a common spot back in the 50s and 60s.

2nd edit, the dayglo bright colors dont fit into an old-school theme either.

Last edited:
Now, I'm doubting if the fact that both spots colors of the T100 are very close to the base color of the T1000 is not problematic...
I don't think that this is a problem but I'm not 100% convinced...

A T100 in a stack of T1000 is fine.
But not 100% sure about a T1000 in a stack of T100.

View attachment 661983

This wouldn’t bother me/I don’t think this is an issue.

I think any arc yellow chips would stand out in a stack of charcoal.

I like that charcoal chip a lot- if you alter one, I’d alter the arc yellow.

Personal opinion, the spots dont work with the chip colors. It just feels like a random mish-mash instead of cohesive.

edit to add, if you want an "old school" feel, then go with 314. That was a common spot back in the 50s and 60s.

Thanks for the feed-back.

I initially went for a 314 pattern. But I was not convinced and moved to this pattern.
From the sample, the Daiglo Arc is really my fav. yellow hence I use it for the T1000 but agree, it does not make it 50s - 60s.

Regarding the choice of spot colors, first of all, I did not want to have one type of color being over-represented compared to the other colors and I wanted colors that contrasted well with the base color of the chips. It's a pity they look "randomly" picked.

Don't get me wrong, your feedback is very valuable to me.
1) With spot colors and some Dayglo colors I picked the set will not look oldschool. But then, is oldschool look in terms of color/spots really what I want ?
2) I'll try to rework the color combos.

Last edited:

In fact, the theme itself, is not specially old-school.
The stamp will be on one side "The Bank" (circled text) and below a charging bull (like the statue in Wallstreet) and the denomination on the other side. I'll post a pic of the logo aferwards.

Really like the base colors!! imo there is something about the spots with the 500 and the 1,000 that seems off, maybe a lavender spot instead of either the retro blue or peacock ?

2 comments:

1. is related to your post above. in my cash set, i had a DG peach frac and a DG arc yellow spot on my $5. even though they were 2 chips apart, once i had them in hand, i felt the orange spectrum was over-represented on the low end of the denoms, and ended up ordering new $5s. you have a shade of orange represented in all 3 of the lower denoms - some people probably prefer that, but to me it was driving me crazy.

2. the retro green spot on the 5000 feels off to me. i'm not sure what would look right, but maroon works nicely with DG pink, and looks great on this chip IMO:

1616596287911.png

Upon first glance, I think the edge spot colors for the 500 and 1000 look too similar. Maybe it's just my phone screen though. In hand they may look much different. And the white spot on the pink seems to look out of place from the entirety of the set.

Base color choices are great.

Really like the base colors!! imo there is something about the spots with the 500 and the 1,000 that seems off, maybe a lavender spot instead of either the retro blue or peacock ?

Retro lavender is indeed much more nice than Purple on the 1000.

2 comments:

1. is related to your post above. in my cash set, i had a DG peach frac and a DG arc yellow spot on my $5. even though they were 2 chips apart, once i had them in hand, i felt the orange spectrum was over-represented on the low end of the denoms, and ended up ordering new $5s. you have a shade of orange represented in all 3 of the lower denoms - some people probably prefer that, but to me it was driving me crazy.

2. the retro green spot on the 5000 feels off to me. i'm not sure what would look right, but maroon works nicely with DG pink, and looks great on this chip IMO:

View attachment 662023

Marron is indeed a very good alternative to Day Green. It contrasts way more. I like the idea.

The white spot does not really bother but as suggested by @TheDuke , the problem is then with the other chips. The T5000 is the only chip with spots contrasting so much.

You're also right on the presence of orange. Either the DG Peach from the T100 or the Dayglo Orange from the T500 shall be replaced. Gray could work too on the T100.

Just tried to move the blue spot to the T5000 (used Imperial Blue instead of Retro Blue) and then replaced with a green one on the T500 where green fits better than on the DG Pink I think.
Above changes are also included : gray sport on the T100 (to reduce the orange across the entire set) and retro lavender spot on the T1000.

I will comment on the actual lineup in a bit, but in the meantime, please change your CPC color background to the lighter grey; it truly helps with us giving advice on sets, colors, etc.

Retro lavender is indeed much more nice than Purple on the 1000.

View attachment 662030

i actually think the retro lavender does not have enough contrast. i preferred the purple, but lavender may actually work better:

1616602713945.png

i like the DG yellow/gray on charcoal. i actually like gray spots on charcoal a lot, my cash $20 is similar and i really like it:

1616602893165.png

I will comment on the actual lineup in a bit, but in the meantime, please change your CPC color background to the lighter grey; it truly helps with us giving advice on sets, colors, etc.
I never knew that was an option!!

i am bored and keep playing around with this. i'm kinda digging this progression, as it works out that each next chip's base color is a lighter shade of spot color on the previous chip (dg peacock -> light blue, dg orange -> dg arc yellow, retro red -> dg pink):

1616605953020.png

@raynmanas , I've added the current design of the hotstamp to your last proposal :

Edit: with the Retro Blue spot on the T500.

I think in this lineup, there is a little bit too much of blue.
Also, I agree with one of the above comments saying that the white spot is out of place in the lineup.

I like your idea of the progression but on the other hand I also liked the gray spot on the Charcoal.

I'll put some more reflection in the lineup.

Last edited:
Also, I agree with one of the above comments saying that the white spot is out of place in the lineup.

I like your idea of the progression but on the other hand I also liked the gray spot on the Charcoal.

Yeah, I agree with all of these as well. This might be your best lineup, but how do you feel when green isn't represented at all:

1616615762361.png

Swapping the orange and red spots between the 500 and 1000 creates another interesting option, as all chips now have a different shade of their own base color as an edge spot:

1616615975322.png

@raynmanas , I've added the current design of the hotstamp to your last proposal :

Edit: with the Retro Blue spot on the T500.

View attachment 662177

I'll put some more reflection in the lineup.
Awesome!!

Why about butterscotch, light chocolate, or chocolate in lieu of grey on the charcoal spot?

Yeah, I agree with all of these as well. This might be your best lineup, but how do you feel when green isn't represented at all:

View attachment 662230

Swapping the orange and red spots between the 500 and 1000 creates another interesting option, as all chips now have a different shade of their own base color as an edge spot:

View attachment 662236

That's indeed an interesting option to have a spot as a different shade of its own color.
What's the spot color for the T5000 you selected ?

I also wanted to have at least one green color. That's why initially I put it on the T5000 but as you suggested, marron worked better than green on that one.

With the green replacing the lavender on the T1000.
And then using the lavender on the T5000 instead of peacock in order to reduce the usage of blue and have a spot from a different shade of the base color.

But now I don't know if the spots of the T500 and not too similar to the T5000 ones...

Thanks a lot for all the valuable feedback everyone.

That's indeed an interesting option to have a spot as a different shade of its own color.
What's the spot color for the T5000 you selected ?

I also wanted to have at least one green color. That's why initially I put it on the T5000 but as you suggested, marron worked better than green on that one.

With the green replacing the lavender on the T1000.
And then using the lavender on the T5000 instead of peacock in order to reduce the usage of blue and have a spot from a different shade of the base color.

View attachment 662253

The T5000 was Maroon and DG Peacock. And yes, green actually works pretty well with DG Orange for spots on the T1000! I personally think the Peacock pops more on the T5000 but Lavender works too. If you wanted purple represented, blurple is an easy swap for retro blue on the T500, they're pretty close anyway.

1616617421402.png

So many options!

I've sent the bull logo to J5 and he'll rework it so that it takes more space at the bottom and that I can remove the word "cardroom" which is there only to fill te empty space.

I'm really excited to see this project progressing.

I thought about the last lineup here above and what I think :
- Love the T100
- Very convinced by the T1000 with orange and green spots. I think the only place where a green would go is there and since I love the idea of having a different shade of the base chip on the spot, orange is in place there.
- The T500 looks also nice to me. The red color has also his spot on this chip and blurple is there as different shade of the base chip.
- I'm not 100% convinved of the T5000 in fact. The chip itself looks good but I'm wondering if it does not look too similar with the T500...

Last edited:
- I'm not 100% convinved of the T5000 in fact. The chip itself looks good but I'm wondering if it does not look too similar with the T500...

hmmm i see your point here, the edge spots colors are basically the opposite of one another (dark blue/light red vs. light blue/dark red).

i don't know if it really solves your problem, but these are a couple more nice options for the T500:

1616766559785.png
1616766610744.png

Last edited:
hmmm i see your point here, the edge spots colors are basically the opposite of one another (dark blue/light red vs. light blue/dark red).

i don't know if it really solves your problem, but these are a couple more nice options for the T500:

View attachment 663481View attachment 663482

The last one look better than the one above I think. Which colord have you picked ?
Retro lavender and purple ?

Yes, fully agree with the "softer look".
I'm now waiting for the updated stamp from J5.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom