Removing Pen? (1 Viewer)

ReallyGoodUsername

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Got some chips, have some pen marks on them, looking to remove it. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on the ink, but if you can submerge & soak the chips in rubbing alcohol, it will slowly dissolve some inks. If it's just ball point pen, it may take minutes/hours. For a sharpie, it may take days or weeks to dissolve fully -- may even need to scrub the chips every so often with a toothbrush, cleaning pad, or magic eraser.

Ink on the top row mostly came off, ink on the bottom row was a different type of marker.

Really don’t get the whole magic eraser thing. I’ve heard people sware by it before. Never worked for me. Maybe I was using it for the wrong thing. I had some color transfer on some chips that I bought.

Really don’t get the whole magic eraser thing. I’ve heard people sware by it before. Never worked for me. Maybe I was using it for the wrong thing. I had some color transfer on some chips that I bought.
Really? Works for me great with color transfer, funk, and hopefully... pen.

E9DFFBC3-7918-46A4-A316-6D7803C6356E.png

Trick is to have it damp..... not wet, not dry. Works wonders on a variety of dirty things, not just chips.

Magic erasers have worked well for the chips @Ben8257 and I have bought... sometimes when theres color transfers from other chips end up scraping them with my nail or using a knife to gently remove the clay scrapes... I would say try a magic eraser.... I'm sure rubbing alcohol works well too but I'd be afraid it would dry the chips out really bad....definitely would be afraid to use on hot stamps.... does it mess with the color of the clay in the chips for those of you who have tried it??

We put Dawn soap in the magic eraser... Note to the above chips, those look like stick or relabels to me, I would be very very careful with alcohol as it could peel the edges of those stuck on inlays... Maybe I'm looking at them wrong but pictures are pretty crisp any info @ReallyGoodUsername? May be a micro cleaning job, majic eraser and Dawn is the way I would start with that before any alcohol... Just my thoughts on that one... Side note I love the quarters!!! Curious what $1 you're using with those guessing some Paris light blues to match the edge spots?

Yeah magic eraser and dawn worked fine thanks everyone (figured it would, I was just being lazy lol).

You're correct they're labels just put over the Bally's inlay. I'm eventually doing a full inlay replacement so I just went ham on the cleaning. Luckily no issues. (note - alcohol would probably start to deteriorate the labels)

Thanks! Using them with the LCO $1 and $2s with original inlays for now. Later they'll all be fully murdered with the yellow LCO $2 being a $5 and the Casablanca black $100 being a $20 for a Cali set:

Ouch I understand how hard it is to find yellow $5 but damn I love how unique those LCO $2 chips are... Wish I was around on the original purchase... Even the $25 in that teal from that set is amazing! I definitely would have been all over those but too little too late only 25s and 100s available any more. Good luck!! I'm sure they will come out amazing!! And I'm glad you didn't hit them with alcohol! Lol probably would have torn them up!

Ouch I understand how hard it is to find yellow $5 but damn I love how unique those LCO $2 chips are... Wish I was around on the original purchase... Even the $25 in that teal from that set is amazing! I definitely would have been all over those but too little too late only 25s and 100s available any more. Good luck!! I'm sure they will come out amazing!! And I'm glad you didn't hit them with alcohol! Lol probably would have torn them up!
I totally get you about "uniqueness" of the $2s. Tough situation though were I'll likely never get enough to make a limit set (if I even played limit) and while they few and far between there's around 4,500 of them (that we know of) in existence but most have/will never seen the classifieds :(:mad:

Had to actually spend $3600 to just get the 3 racks I have :eek: (two were from the original LCO sets that went for $1,600 each).

Magic erasers have worked well for the chips @Ben8257 and I have bought... sometimes when theres color transfers from other chips end up scraping them with my nail or using a knife to gently remove the clay scrapes... I would say try a magic eraser.... I'm sure rubbing alcohol works well too but I'd be afraid it would dry the chips out really bad....definitely would be afraid to use on hot stamps.... does it mess with the color of the clay in the chips for those of you who have tried it??

I've soaked chips in rubbing alcohol to (try and) remove ink. Sometimes it works totally, sometimes partially, sometimes never. It depends on what ink was used and how deeply it has penetrated into the clay chip (which is porous, after all). Yes, the alcohol tends to "dry out" the chips, but this is not a permanent change. A good oiling afterward will having looking as good as new.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom