Removing flashing from clay chips (1 Viewer)

Hiway1977

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I have been getting various sample from BR Pro Poker and Apache Poker Chips to start narrowing down what I am going to purchase. I really like the color selection of the Greek Triangle "clay" Composites from BR Pro Poker and their semi-custom option is a huge plus for me. However, the flashing on these chips is a big turn off. I am wondering if there is a way (the easier the better) to remove the flashing from these chips. If this has been addressed in a previous post, feel free to send me there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help with this.

Using a very fine grit paper or 000 wool is better than scraping with a sharp edge. The fine paper or wool will polish it off, but scraping can discolor the base color leaving it lighter in color.

I'm about halfway through with removing the flashing/slag from a Lot of cheapo chips. I've tried cloth, fine sandpaper, blue brillo, the edge of a knife, and these rotary tool "scrubbing" wheels - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L71YHZ8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details. The scrubbing wheels are definitely the least effort but the process creates a significant amount of dust/debris (definitely wear a mask and eye protection) and does change the color/finish of the chips. Also, if you're not careful, it doesn't take much to "melt" the chip - can "de-round" the chip and/or run colors into/over each other. Each wheel lasts anywhere from half a rack to a rack of chips (YMMV). Personally, I can live with the imperfections I've caused so far while removing the flashing/slag (my cheapo chips have worse problems - e.g. incomplete molding and label problems - than the little imperfections) and it's not a deal-breaker for our small/micro stakes games... That being said, I definitely will Never purchase any sets with flashing/slag from here on out, it's a PITA! lol

Oh, I forgot to mention, the colors denote different levels of stiff/coarseness - from most stiff/coarse to least, it feels to me like tan, black, green, and then red. Also, I've been avoiding the red because the red color from the wheel sometimes transfers onto the chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom