Removable locking sliding mechanism...gizmo doo-dad (1 Viewer)

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Been brainstorming with so many cup holder vs no cup holder debates. I have seen and used slide under cup holders which allows users the flexibility of putting the cup holder pretty much anywhere they want.

What I think are downsides:
1. Drink is on the table, closer to the felt and takes up playing surface real-estate
2. The "tab" that slides under the rail means there needs to be some space under the rail. When I deal, I pitch cards pretty hard which can slide under the rail.

So, is there a way to add a removable cup holder holder (not a typo) that can be attached to the underside of the table via some sort of clamping mechanism?

2 things comes to mind.

A) Camera mounts. There are commercially available quick release camera plates and clamps which could be adapted onto cup holder which could be added to the bottom of the table, clamped in place and removed with a flick of a toggle.

413yPiqg%2BnL._SX425_.jpg

This would have to be mounted up side down, so I am not sure how much holding power it has.

B) I use power tools all the time. The battery packs slide in and lock, then with the push of a button they release and slide out. Is there any mechanism or mount that's similar to this but not attached to a power tool battery?

maxresdefault.jpg

Again this would have to be mounted upside down but since it slides in on guides, I would think it's a lot more secure.

Just brainstorming, any feedback or other ideas are welcome.

Not sure if they make radius parts but this could work as the track underneath and give 100% flexibility on location (if you can get the radius)
http://www13.boschrexroth-us.com/Framing_Shop/Product/Default.aspx?units=1

Another option would be something like the quick clamps, that I’m sure you have all over your shop.

I’m more than willing to be a guinea pig If you need someone to demo the table when done. :)

Interested in any solution that keeps drinks off the table. Attached but below table level while still out of the way of knees/legs will be ground breaking IMO. The pullout holders from below the table I've seen look like they would get whacked by knees/legs on a consistent basis

I bet you could try to find the manufacturer for all the automotive cup holders that slide in and out.

How about something like this? Glue and screw the cleats under the table, and you can match the finish. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to batch the parts out.
holder1.png
holder2.png

With a cup in the holder, the spring latch might even be redundant.

I was going to suggest beer helmets, but am thinking toaster’s idea might be better.

A large dovetail bracket was one of the first things that came to mind. I would prefer it though if it was lockable so that it would clip into place. Also something pre-fabricated would be great so that they could just be screwed into the table from underneath so that people can put them wherever they want.

Just thinking out loud but what about something like track lighting so you can slide it wherever you want or just clip it on.

Also something pre-fabricated would be great so that they could just be screwed into the table from underneath so that people can put them wherever they want.

Just thinking out loud but what about something like track lighting so you can slide it wherever you want or just clip it on.

That was the point of what I posted above.
7FD0F9BA-3C4C-496E-84CF-8710E07DC089.png

You can get thumb screws to set things in place, but bolt system can slide around in the track.

Dude, magnets.
This is frickin' brilliant. Neo magnet attraction will break your knee before it comes loose accidentally. Ability to attach (anything, of any size) anywhere along the metal strip. Perfect.

Could even replace slide-unders as a way to secure them, where you want them -- with no damage to rail/cloth or unwanted space beneath the rail for cards to enter.

You could recess some low profile t-track under the table, and use a thumbscrew with a down next to it to secure a wood holder similar to the dovetail one I posted. Loosen it a little and you can slide it side to side, loosen it enough to let the dowel come out of the track and you could flip the cup holder around and have it hidden under the table. The track could be mitered continuously around the curve of the table.

51R4YGNRyXL._SL1072_.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom