Removable cup holders, what style? (1 Viewer)

Which style would you choose?

• Total voters

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I'm working on 2 designs. Please vote on which you would prefer to have/use.

Both mount underneath the table.

Option 1: $40/mount, includes the metal bracket and plywood brace that holds the cup, and the cup holder itself.

Snaps into place. Uses a quick release lever to release the mount. You have to hold or catch the mount, otherwise it just falls to the floor.

Quick prototype, not as polished since I had to make some alterations. Slide the left side into place, push the right side up and it snaps into place. Push the lever to release.
2020-07-09 17.15.20.jpg
2020-07-09 17.15.53.jpg
2020-07-09 17.16.01.jpg
2020-07-09 17.16.05.jpg

Video of the action:

Option 2: Slide in mount. $52 mount, includes the metal bracket and plywood brace that holds the cup, and the cup holder itself.

The bracket slides into place and then there is a lever on the left side to tighten the bracket for a nice firm hold. The video shows how it doesn't really move at all once mounted.

2020-07-09 16.36.12.jpg

Closeup:
2020-07-09 17.38.55.jpg

Push this blue pin to release the mount.
2020-07-09 17.39.07.jpg

Turn this lever back to tighten the mount for zero wiggle room. Works without this tight as well but the mount wobbles a little.
2020-07-09 17.39.14.jpg

Video of the action:

Comments and feedback are welcome.

No idea of cost. Have you considered using Bosch extruded aluminum underneath for an adjustable position mount?

No idea of cost. Have you considered using Bosch extruded aluminum underneath for an adjustable position mount?

I see no reason why that couldn't be added so that the mounts can be moved back and forth. A knob can be added to secure it into place once the desired spot is achieved.

For me, the answer is Neither, it costs too much, but I'm a cheap ass DIY guy, and NOT your target customer! I'm hoping this becomes a selling point for you.

I think both are slick ideas and look well thought out. 3 things:

1) I think the only reason to have removeable cupholders is to be able to change the position that it's in. So, the mounts would need to be slideable, or you would need 3 times as many of them. That might become cost prohibitive.
2) Because of the mounting hardware, it seems that the wood of the cupholder starts at least an inch below the bottom of the playing surface. Considering the depth of the cupholder from there, would people's legs start hitting the bottom of the cupholders?
3) I'm glad to see somebody else is actually thinking about this issue! There has to be a better method than in rail or side tables! When I posted a thread about it, there was no interest. Then again, I'm not T_Chan ;) .

I think that one of the issues for people is also that they simply don't like having a cup holder in the rail, and don't have space for a side cart. So to be able to attach a cup to the underside of the table when they want to use it is appealing. To be able to put it anywhere, is also something that I can see some people may want, but not everyone. They might be the majority though.

So far I'm just prototyping. There's a few things I want to change such as how low these things hang. You're right that the cup holder is lower than the bottom edge of the table by 7/8". I'd like to reduce this gap if possible. Adding a sliding bracket like the extruded aluminum that @Forty4 suggested would make it even lower, but I could likely route a groove into the underside of the table to negate that extra depth.

I might try elevating the bracket so that the cup holder sits closer to the top of the rail. More experimenting to come.

I like the idea for the reasons you present above.

Which solution is easier for the inexperienced end user (player, not table owner) to install? It appears to be the slide to me.

I agree with the idea of having more receivers around the table to give the player options for locations.

Either type would be the same installation method, just screwing in the bracket from underneath.

Yes, these are designed to be added to any table, new or old, as long as the underside of the table is flat at least 5" in from the edge.

The sliding option seems to be the most popular. I've added a guide rail underneath with a pair of knobs to secure it in place. Now the removable cup holder can be inserted anywhere, slid into place and then fully locked in.

There's a bit of wobble when I shake it around, but I also didn't push the locking mechanism on the left side which really engages the cup holders so that it's solid without any jiggle. My prototype actually blocked access to the lever which I'm going to change in the next revision.

Sorry for the mess in the video, I'm not super organized at the moment.

Yeah, it's just an aluminum T track that @Forty4 mentioned earlier in the thread. I screwed it to the underside of the table, 2 T-bolts go into the track and the cup holder mount is screwed to a piece of plywood where the bolts go as well.

I'll get some photos though tomorrow.

The last version is definitely my favorite!!!
So would you be recommending multiple cup holders on the same sliding track?

Yes you could easily do multiple cup holders per track. They're available in 2, 3 and 4 ft lengths. On the ends, probably have to do multiple small sections of track.

Hey Tony...great thread

Since neodymium magnets became a cheap option, maybe this could also be a way to attach the cupholder.
You would only need a flat rail under the table, 2 or 3 magnets per cup and in worse case (someone tripping, drunktards, ...) the cupholder will disconnect clean and not damage the table, cup holder or bracket.

And it would cut down your cost + working time (imho)

Hey Tony...great thread

Since neodymium magnets became a cheap option, maybe this could also be a way to attach the cupholder.
You would only need a flat rail under the table, 2 or 3 magnets per cup and in worse case (someone tripping, drunktards, ...) the cupholder will disconnect clean and not damage the table, cup holder or bracket.

And it would cut down your cost + working time (imho)
I don't know anything about these magnets. What size would you use for cupholders? How would you attach the magnets to the cupholders? Would they be likely to pull out of the wood of the cupholder? The rail under the table could be very thin metal, right?

I don't know anything about these magnets. What size would you use for cupholders? How would you attach the magnets to the cupholders? Would they be likely to pull out of the wood of the cupholder? The rail under the table could be very thin metal, right?

I would drill 2/3 holes in the wooden holder for the cupholder and epoxy the magnets flush with surface (top)
Yes, that rail or strip could be very thin...the power of these magnets is INSANE

15mm (diameter) & 8-10mm thick....that holds +/- 6 KG per magnet....2 or 3 of those should be plenty

I'm not a big fan of using magnets on a poker table. Although it would probably do a good job, I worry about electronics or wallets getting too close to the magnets. I wouldn't want to have my cell phone in my pocket and accidentally get it too close to the magnet or demagnetize my credit cards.

I'm not a big fan of using magnets on a poker table. Although it would probably do a good job, I worry about electronics or wallets getting too close to the magnets. I wouldn't want to have my cell phone in my pocket and accidentally get it too close to the magnet or demagnetize my credit cards.
I have a magnet on my phone to mount it to ball bearing mounts. Works great! Except I’ve demagnetized my credit cards multiple times. I’ve now learned to not pick them up in the same hand... so very valid concern.

Relatively simple jig.

T-track under the table. The T-track can also be recessed so that it protrudes less underneath the table. I'm also going to try to make a bracket to raised up the cup holders to top of the rail height.

Cup holder bracket. The two screws on the sides are stops which I'll replace with something nicer.
2020-07-22 12.54.00_384x768.jpg
2020-07-22 12.54.04_384x768.jpg

T-track with knobs. You can see the left knob blocks the lever which tightens the cup holder bracket. The bracket locks in place and doesn't release unless you push the blue button on the right, but the lever on the left really snugs it up.
2020-07-22 12.54.12_1024x512.jpg
2020-07-22 12.54.19_1024x512.jpg

The cup holders themselves are the same as in the videos and pictures, stainless steel. The brackets will be made out of solid wood rather than plywood, and stained and lacquered for a nice finished look.

This is important. Gonna need you to find a friendly volunteer or three, film them as they jam their knees into the mounts while the cup holders are not slid-in, and comment on which one hurts less. And then post their reactions on youtube.

Mostly joking, of course, although I am genuinely interested in avoiding knee pain when they inevitably run into those mounts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom